Greyhounds

I got mine for free and traced it back to the breeder , nice old man . I tried it and worked out for me hunting , lot people wouldn't give them a fair chance but also the would be fair few dogs who probaly not got it in them to be half decent . few people tried breed the lurchers with mine after id put the work into the dog .get your own , the same people were the own experts on lurchers , so dont involve me for the own merits . mine was same as a good all round lurcher but a lurcher itself would been more suited for me . i got it for nothing when no one wanted it and it got a good life , doing what it loved .

• Like 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For the lads asking,YES,RAZZMATAZZ is still about,he,s lying with his feet in the air on my sofa as I type,lol From the stuff I've seen and heard about,he's suppose to be throwing some descent animal

i've read the replys and understand that i will end up with a bitch that can't turn,has no stamina and will either have to be retired after 1 season with foot injurys or will possibly die after a nast

I remember that big hearted little bitch, Cashel's Evening was her name

Posted Images

One of the reasons we keep lurchers rather than greyhounds is to bulk up the frame of a dog so it is not so so fast and so accident prone. People talk about the influence of collie, bull, wheaton etc but in fact what you gain most of all is a more robust dog that can take knocks better.

I suspect sometimes you lose a lot of prey drive and gameness in the process, because I've never met anybody who questions the gameness of a pure grey.( I know the introduction of bull and wheaten is to introduce gameness, but for me a pure grey has prey drive and gameness in abundance.

Ginger Beard, I can't understand you wanting to get a greyhound. You've lost three deer/greys through accidents. Why would you want to get a greyhound which is a much more accident prone dog compared to a deer/grey? I'm not having a go at you, just questioning your logic. To me, you're just asking for history to repeat itself.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 3

For the lads asking,YES,RAZZMATAZZ is still about,he,s lying with his feet in the air on my sofa as I type,lol

From the stuff I've seen and heard about,he's suppose to be throwing some descent animals,

As for using a greyhound for working!!its not something I would advise,if you got the right one,it would do most things a good lurched could do.your trouble is you would have limited number of runs per night,if you over ran it you would be spending some serious money on vets bills with acidosis etc,i guarantee it will spend more time on bed lame than it will working.greyhounds are finely tuned athletes,due to the sheer speed they travel they pick up injurys far to often

its the really honest A7 bitch or duffer level coursing dog that will make a better worker rather than a top flight animal like razzmatazz...depends a lot on how they were reared as well id say--back in the day a lot of irish dogs were reared in a more rough and ready manner....no matter what though its unlikely to have a long life
What you basing that assumption on???

Before you reply with your answer,I'll just tell you I have 45 greyhounds in the kennel at the moment,and razz would be the first I'd take everyday of the week,pure speed aside,this dogs prey drive is like nothing I've seen,even compared to the lurchers I've worked and seen work,,don't judge before you know the individual dog

To much prey drive is only good for one thing and that's getting a dog killed, as for speed most lurchers are fast enough so any grade of greyhound will be, you're assuming what will happen, have you ever worked a pure greyhound? And I mean solidly for a few seasons, not just the odd slip