Greyhounds

Had a small greyhound bitch given about 10 year ago, couldn't tell you nothing about her other than she was black with white socks and was just shy of 24tts. Been stuck in a pen for the most part of her life and I got her at 16 months old, remember having to put her in the car because she wasn't lead trained and would not walk on a lead. Had her a while and ended up alright with a good retrieve, i never got chance to show her a fox single handed but she retrieved one with another dog OK and was not loads of hares around then but the ones she did run was good to watch.

Ran another greyhound bitch a shade under 26tts last season (ex track bitch) did a bit of everything with her and she did well day and night. Would not say she had loads of stamina but plenty for a days mooching/pushing woods out and a few runs. Had 17/18 rabbits with her one night only half fit and she had a bit left in the tank for more. Was a game bitch with no reverse in everything she did. Ran her on all types of ground and only injury's she had where small flesh wounds and a minor toe injury.

Imo greyhounds are underestimated and they too many people that haven't even ran them wouldn't have one because of what they heard off other folk that never ran one either,

I would and will have one from a pup when I get around to it.

• Like 3

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For the lads asking,YES,RAZZMATAZZ is still about,he,s lying with his feet in the air on my sofa as I type,lol From the stuff I've seen and heard about,he's suppose to be throwing some descent animal

i've read the replys and understand that i will end up with a bitch that can't turn,has no stamina and will either have to be retired after 1 season with foot injurys or will possibly die after a nast

I remember that big hearted little bitch, Cashel's Evening was her name

Posted Images

Would of liked a smaller one myself. Seen a few before that and the seemed lot bad in ways .just wouldnt do much or want to.bit like the just wanted to fk off uncontrolerble .saw a smaller dog the other year seemed different .hunt but stay about with u better . one i had would hunt a little and be back next to me and never turned away from a fox

Would of sooner had one from a pup, bring it up as a lurched, but same again , most land wouldn't suit them where be going .some places would suit .but fragile enough or accident prone and blow out bit after the first run or distance .or build its stamina up .

• 2 weeks later...

Had a 62lb ex-track bitch myself a few years ago... I was probably extremely lucky more than anything but that bitch did everything..no problem with livestock or getting knocks/ electric wire.. did r,h,f,d.. and did them all first time she ever saw them... a greyhound with a brain was the only way to describe her

• Like 1

Me dads had a few greyhounds one or 2 caught him abit and were ok but his best were allways brought up/on with a lurcher kill fox and roe for fun and could make a hare fear for his life on the smallish fields around where we lived never had or seen one on rabbits so can't comment there

I think there ok sometimes and are underrated In the lurcher game for sure

Edited by C.green
  • Like 1

Life is to short to live with regrets, if you want one then get one, I ran a ex track bitch when I was a lad, was she the perfect all round dog?no...... was she good fun to work? Hell yeah! A lot of lads are quick to admit there dog has faults, but how many are equally as quick to admit it's them who failed as a trainer?

• Like 2

For the lads asking,YES,RAZZMATAZZ is still about,he,s lying with his feet in the air on my sofa as I type,lol

From the stuff I've seen and heard about,he's suppose to be throwing some descent animals,

As for using a greyhound for working!!its not something I would advise,if you got the right one,it would do most things a good lurched could do.your trouble is you would have limited number of runs per night,if you over ran it you would be spending some serious money on vets bills with acidosis etc,i guarantee it will spend more time on bed lame than it will working.greyhounds are finely tuned athletes,due to the sheer speed they travel they pick up injurys far to often

• Like 6

Very good post......My question would be ,why buy one,raise it like a lurcher ,train it like a lurcher then run it like a lurcher? Why not then just buy a lurcher?

They are awesome animals in their field and have contributed a hell of a lot to working dogs and will for years to come, but if it's an ambition go for it and keep us all posted

I'm sure the same was once said of whipets, far to many opinions from people who've never worked a pure greyhound

Ive worked more than 2 of both and id never own another Grey,id own another Whippet at some stage.

Edited by morton

For the lads asking,YES,RAZZMATAZZ is still about,he,s lying with his feet in the air on my sofa as I type,lol

From the stuff I've seen and heard about,he's suppose to be throwing some descent animals,

As for using a greyhound for working!!its not something I would advise,if you got the right one,it would do most things a good lurched could do.your trouble is you would have limited number of runs per night,if you over ran it you would be spending some serious money on vets bills with acidosis etc,i guarantee it will spend more time on bed lame than it will working.greyhounds are finely tuned athletes,due to the sheer speed they travel they pick up injurys far to often

its the really honest A7 bitch or duffer level coursing dog that will make a better worker rather than a top flight animal like razzmatazz...depends a lot on how they were reared as well id say--back in the day a lot of irish dogs were reared in a more rough and ready manner....no matter what though its unlikely to have a long life

• Like 1

If pure greys are so good why do so few people work them, you can pick one up anywhere for free. Comparing the whippet to a greyhound, yes they look the same only the difference in size, but for intelligence the whippet leaves the grey standing. Before you ask yes ive owned both, but id only consider owning a whippet, far more useful than a grey.