57 replies to this topic

#46 Tiercel

Tiercel

Extreme Hunter

• 7,450 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 07:39 am

Just worked it out

100ml dilutes by 1.2% so you need to add 83.33333ml to water down by 1%

That does not work like that. The weaker the concentration gets the more water you need to add. 100ml reduces it by 1% but to reduce it by a further 1% you need to add another 150ml of water. Then to reduce it another 1% you need to add a further 250ml.

So to change 500ml of 6% to 5% you add 100ml.

The sum then changes to 600ml of 5% you now have to add 150ml to make it 4%.

The sum now changes again to 750ml of 4% to which you have to add 250ml to make it 1ltr of 3% which is the same as adding 500ml to the 6% mixture.

TC

#47 micky

micky

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 01:23 pm

DSCF0037_zpsk1ev0p3g.jpg

Mam always dry salted the shallots and left them dairy cheese room [cold and dark] for two days, they were then put into two one gallon pickle jars
. The previous years pickling liquor was used to boil the boxing day gammon and also used it to make a tomato sauce which we had on our
Saturday herrings
  • Tiercel, terryd, kanny and 1 other like this

#48 terryd

terryd

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 01:39 pm

Excellent  :thumbs:  been dry salting mine and they keep there crunch for sure. Your mum certainly got the most out of the vinegar and good ideas too 

#49 kanny

kanny

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 08:13 pm

Kanny, They look good.I bet once you tap them they won't last very long at all. Even family members who claim not to like pickled eggs will be delving in!

Cheers.... I've put them away now out of sight hopefully they make it to Xmas.
Well they didn't make Xmas they should have a once you pop warning on them :thumbs: lovely with a bag of salt and vinegar crisps... Anyway just done another batch of 36... Pink peppercorns in with these hopefully they make the holidays :thumbs:DSC_0276_zpsqspovqqz.jpg
  • Tiercel and Stockpot like this

#50 Tiercel

Tiercel

Extreme Hunter

• 7,450 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:41 pm

I made a jar of eggs a couple of weeks ago and after 2 weeks they started disintegrating in the jar and opening the jar was not a pleasant experience. It was obviously something I had done / not done, but I am at a loss to know what. I have made them in the past with no problems.

TC

#51 terryd

terryd

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:47 pm

dicky vinegar so maybe not strong enough Allan ?

#52 kanny

kanny

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:55 pm

I made a jar of eggs a couple of weeks ago and after 2 weeks they started disintegrating in the jar and opening the jar was not a pleasant experience. It was obviously something I had done / not done, but I am at a loss to know what. I have made them in the past with no problems.

TC

Not sure TC to strong or week solution perhaps? is the jar sealing correctly? .... I just finished the last of my first batch yesterday after 7 weeks and they were as good as the day they went in ..6% as you directed me in the original post ....even though I had no problems with the first batch I've been much more thorough with the sterilization on this new batch so fingers crossed all is good with them :thumbs:

#53 W. Katchum

W. Katchum

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 8,870 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:55 pm

FFS kanny I want some a them
  • kanny likes this

#54 Tiercel

Tiercel

Extreme Hunter

• 7,450 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:59 pm

dicky vinegar so maybe not strong enough Allan ?

Could be, but the pickles I made from the same batch of vinegar are still going strong and have plenty of flavour. I tend to make up the pickling vinegar in litre batches with the sugar and spices, then return to the bottles to use when needed. I am really anal about sterilising the jars and lids and usually go over and above what is actually needed. It's got me flummoxed right enough.  :hmm: 

TC

#55 kanny

kanny

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:03 pm

FFS kanny I want some a them

There delicious mate ... the Mrs who turned her nose up at them first can't get enough of them now ...should have kept my mouth shut lol
  • Tiercel, W. Katchum and Stockpot like this

#56 W. Katchum

W. Katchum

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 8,870 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:10 pm

I not had one for years and only ever had chip shop ones, same as pickled onions but by fook some a the pics on here look lovely haha them eggs especially
  • kanny likes this

#57 mole trapper

mole trapper

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 05:44 pm

After making a few jars recently with both chicken and duck eggs my Mrs pointed out that there were still some in the store I had forgotten about, sure enough there was a big jar of chicken eggs in non brewed white vinegar, over two years old. Well I thought I can't chuck them they look perfect, so I've been eating them all week and they are awesome.

#58 bhawk

bhawk

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:26 pm

I love pickled eggs. I'm pretty basic, I'll buy pickling vinegar and put eggs into sterilised jars and cover with the vinegar and leave them for a couple of weeks to soak.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users