Pickling Eggs (Vinegar Ratio)

Kanny, They look good.I bet once you tap them they won't last very long at all. Even family members who claim not to like pickled eggs will be delving in!

Cheers.... I've put them away now out of sight hopefully they make it to Xmas.
Well they didn't make Xmas they should have a once you pop warning on them :thumbs: lovely with a bag of salt and vinegar crisps... Anyway just done another batch of 36... Pink peppercorns in with these hopefully they make the holidays :thumbs:DSC_0276_zpsqspovqqz.jpg
  • Like 2

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today I sorted out my shallots and put the smallest one side for pickling.     Next I just tailed them leaving some of the root still on the shallots.     Once tailed I put them in a contain

Thanks for all the tips everyone. .my first batch 22 eggs with various chillies...should be interesting :  

Yes and the wife don't pull any punches in her reviews of my work either Biggest complaint is the strong taste of vinegar though that didn't stop her demolishing a jar of onions in no time I hardly

I made a jar of eggs a couple of weeks ago and after 2 weeks they started disintegrating in the jar and opening the jar was not a pleasant experience. It was obviously something I had done / not done, but I am at a loss to know what. I have made them in the past with no problems.

TC

I made a jar of eggs a couple of weeks ago and after 2 weeks they started disintegrating in the jar and opening the jar was not a pleasant experience. It was obviously something I had done / not done, but I am at a loss to know what. I have made them in the past with no problems.

TC

Not sure TC to strong or week solution perhaps? is the jar sealing correctly? .... I just finished the last of my first batch yesterday after 7 weeks and they were as good as the day they went in ..6% as you directed me in the original post ....even though I had no problems with the first batch I've been much more thorough with the sterilization on this new batch so fingers crossed all is good with them :thumbs:

dicky vinegar so maybe not strong enough Allan ?

Could be, but the pickles I made from the same batch of vinegar are still going strong and have plenty of flavour. I tend to make up the pickling vinegar in litre batches with the sugar and spices, then return to the bottles to use when needed. I am really anal about sterilising the jars and lids and usually go over and above what is actually needed. It's got me flummoxed right enough. :hmm:

TC

• 3 weeks later...

After making a few jars recently with both chicken and duck eggs my Mrs pointed out that there were still some in the store I had forgotten about, sure enough there was a big jar of chicken eggs in non brewed white vinegar, over two years old. Well I thought I can't chuck them they look perfect, so I've been eating them all week and they are awesome.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...