Pickling Eggs (Vinegar Ratio)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today I sorted out my shallots and put the smallest one side for pickling.     Next I just tailed them leaving some of the root still on the shallots.     Once tailed I put them in a contain

Thanks for all the tips everyone. .my first batch 22 eggs with various chillies...should be interesting :  

Yes and the wife don't pull any punches in her reviews of my work either Biggest complaint is the strong taste of vinegar though that didn't stop her demolishing a jar of onions in no time I hardly

can some one do the maths for me please if i have 500ml of 6% vinegar and i want to dilute it to 5% how do i work that out :(

I can give you a rough estimate. 500ml of 6% if you add 500 ml of water that would give you 1ltr of 3% so 500 ml of water has dropped the acidity by 3% so a third of 500ml should drop the acidity by 1% =166 ml. Don't know if my maths are correct but that is what I would use.

TC

I would have said

(Percentage A) x (volume A) / (Percentage B) = (volume B)

In this case 6 x 500 / 5 = 600. So you'd need to add 100ml water.

No?

Got it now. :thumbs: 6 x 500 / 3 = 1000. You can see I never done algebra as a kid. :laugh:

TC

Just worked it out

100ml dilutes by 1.2% so you need to add 83.33333ml to water down by 1%

That does not work like that. The weaker the concentration gets the more water you need to add. 100ml reduces it by 1% but to reduce it by a further 1% you need to add another 150ml of water. Then to reduce it another 1% you need to add a further 250ml.

So to change 500ml of 6% to 5% you add 100ml.

The sum then changes to 600ml of 5% you now have to add 150ml to make it 4%.

The sum now changes again to 750ml of 4% to which you have to add 250ml to make it 1ltr of 3% which is the same as adding 500ml to the 6% mixture.

TC

DSCF0037_zpsk1ev0p3g.jpg

Mam always dry salted the shallots and left them dairy cheese room [cold and dark] for two days, they were then put into two one gallon pickle jars

. The previous years pickling liquor was used to boil the boxing day gammon and also used it to make a tomato sauce which we had on our

Saturday herrings

• Like 4