Pickling Eggs (Vinegar Ratio)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today I sorted out my shallots and put the smallest one side for pickling.     Next I just tailed them leaving some of the root still on the shallots.     Once tailed I put them in a contain

Thanks for all the tips everyone. .my first batch 22 eggs with various chillies...should be interesting :  

Yes and the wife don't pull any punches in her reviews of my work either Biggest complaint is the strong taste of vinegar though that didn't stop her demolishing a jar of onions in no time I hardly

Kanny, They look good.I bet once you tap them they won't last very long at all. Even family members who claim not to like pickled eggs will be delving in!

Cheers.... I've put them away now out of sight hopefully they make it to Xmas.

• 3 weeks later...

Is the sarsons ready spiced pickling vinegar any good? I've been given a load of quail eggs so bought a jar from the supermarket and thrown them straight into it.

Yes that is proper vinegar, but you might want to check the acidity of it, should say on the bottle if it is over 5% add some water to it, unless you really like the bite of the vinegar.

TC

yes the sarsons pickling vinegar for us is too strong. Plus its not that cheap either.

It was less than 2 quid which I don't mind as a bit of an experiment. There was no messing around sterilising either I just held the jar over the sink for the overflow when I dropped the eggs in. If they are any good idea might look at doing other stuff and methods in the future.
  • Like 1

Today I sorted out my shallots and put the smallest one side for pickling.

39dc426b-9caa-4f12-a7c9-8c21fc1ff747_zps

Next I just tailed them leaving some of the root still on the shallots.

WP_20161024_002_zpspkxodeu8.jpg

Once tailed I put them in a container and pour boiling water over them and leave them till the water is cool enough to put

your hand in. This makes them very easy to peel, with no tears.

WP_20161024_004_zps7fqrtwon.jpg

In the vast majority of cases by squeezing the shallot as you top them the skin comes off in one go.

WP_20161024_005_zpsczsojl1z.jpg

It is then in to a tub of brine for 24 hrs.

WP_20161024_006%20-%20Copy_zpsviq1h9c9.j

Tomorrow I will wash them off and dry them and they will be ready for pickling.

TC

Edited by Tiercel
  • Like 8

Tiercel, I didn't realise there was a proper process to pickling onions, I would've just peeled them and dropped them in the jar. Only ever pickled eggs as I have the palate of a 3 year old when it comes to pickled onions and have to confess to liking shop bought Silverskins :whistling::icon_redface: . Tell me, is there a proper concentration for the brine, or is it just a bowl of salty water?

I just cover the onions / shallots with a table spoon full of salt and top the tub up with water, leave for 24 hrs then wash then dry them. But when I make up the pickling vinegar, I add sugar 6oz per litre and warm the vinegar till it dissolves then pour it over the onions about 3/4 of the way up the jar then top up with water and seal the jar.

TC

• Like 2