Pickling Eggs (Vinegar Ratio)

We get gifted loads of eggs from a friend so I've decided to have a go at pickling some so i asked the Mrs to get some pickling vinegar and she came back with this .... im not sure on the dilution ratio ..what does the 6dL stand for ? I've not done any pickling before so any advice or tips would be much appreciated ....cheers :thumbs:

DSC_0253_zpsikdgj1ti.jpg

DSC_0254_zps86q1g8il.jpg

Edited by kanny

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today I sorted out my shallots and put the smallest one side for pickling.     Next I just tailed them leaving some of the root still on the shallots.     Once tailed I put them in a contain

Thanks for all the tips everyone. .my first batch 22 eggs with various chillies...should be interesting :  

Yes and the wife don't pull any punches in her reviews of my work either Biggest complaint is the strong taste of vinegar though that didn't stop her demolishing a jar of onions in no time I hardly

The 6DL stands for 6 Decilitres or 600ml.. You want a 6% for pickling vinegar so that bottle will make 1.2 litres.

http://www.scandikitchen.co.uk/product/perstorps-absolut-ren-attika-24-3-dl/

I make pickled eggs often, a little tip if the eggs are really fresh leave them for a week or so before boiling them as they will peel easier. Don't try and cram them in to the jar as they will be squashed against the side of the jar and discolour during the pickling process.

I normally use asda's own white spirit vinegar and do a 50/50 ratio of water and vinegar.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-compare-prices/Oils_And_Vinegar/ASDA_Distilled_Malt_Vinegar_568ml.html

TC

Edited by Tiercel
  • Like 3

Thanks TC your a star :thumbs: all makes perfect sense now... I've also got some carolina reaper chillies here I'm thinking of adding to one of the jars of eggs to spice things up a bit... Do you think there will be any problem with that? if it's just discolouration I can handle that.

Edited by kanny

Thanks TC your a star :thumbs: all makes perfect sense now... I've also got some carolina reaper chillies here I'm thinking of adding to one of the jars of eggs to spice things up a bit... Do you think there will be any problem with that? if it's just discolouration I can handle that.

Go for it, you could even add beetroot and make pink eggs. If you do a google there are literally dozens of different recipes for pickled eggs.

TC

Edited by Tiercel
  • Like 1

I used to put birdseye chilli's in mine, but they were dried, and they flavour them well and with no discolouration. Reckon your reapers should be OK. Err on the side of caution unless it's only you who will be indulging, some people can't take much chilli.

I once took a large jar of pickled onions to work for a pre christmas buffet, and they were loaded with birdseyes and had been brewing for ages, great fun watching all the so called chilli heads sweating and eyes watering :laugh:

• Like 1

Very interesting I pickled some onions in the malt vinegar from aldi. The vinegar is way over powering hopefully it will mellow with age

Try and find a proper greengrocer mate, they normally sell pickling vinny by the half gallon, and it already has a bit of flavouring in it, just add your own spices to your taste. I generally add a heaped teaspoon of sugar as well.

• Like 1

Very interesting I pickled some onions in the malt vinegar from aldi. The vinegar is way over powering hopefully it will mellow with age

Try and find a proper greengrocer mate, they normally sell pickling vinny by the half gallon, and it already has a bit of flavouring in it, just add your own spices to your taste. I generally add a heaped teaspoon of sugar as well.

What ever you do, do not use the stuff that comes in plastic cans. It is not vinegar, it's Non brewed condiment which is synthetic vinegar and does not have the properties of spirit or malt vinegar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-brewed_condiment

TC

• Like 1

What ever you do, do not use the stuff that comes in plastic cans. It is not vinegar, it's Non brewed condiment which is synthetic vinegar and does not have the properties of spirit or malt vinegar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-brewed_condiment

TC

It could well be non brewed condiment I have been using for my pickling over the years, but it has always produced very good onions, so much so that my brother asks me to do onions for him.

I wonder what was the stuff the greengrocers used to sell in the 50's and 60's where you used to have to take your own bottle and they filled it from a tank? I recall my mother doing that on quite a few occasions.

Cheers for all the info lads :thumbs: just wondering is there a minimum amount of time you have to let them sit before they become pickled? I guess if I'm putting chillies in there they will need some time to infuse.

in my case its just a case of how long the mrs can keep her hands off my pickled onions

It's the same in our house, no sooner have I made them, it's always are they ready yet? I like large onions with a bit of bite, she likes silver skins with a bit of sugar added to the mix.

TC

• Like 2

Yes and the wife don't pull any punches in her reviews of my work either :laugh:

Biggest complaint is the strong taste of vinegar though that didn't stop her demolishing a jar of onions in no time I hardly got a look in.

Might let her open these tonight as I recall slightly watered down white vinegar with a few spices

29069182942_9778ec3b79_c.jpg

I like threads like this a lot to be learnt. Good luck with the eggs kanny might try them my self

Edited by terryd
  • Like 5