depressed

my mate recently paid a lot of money for a greyhound from ireland, imagine to his disgust , the dog when taken for trials was running about a second below it's best times, frustrated at what was happening he took the dog back over to ireland to be checked over by a top greyhound vet, the vet could'nt find anything wrong with the dog physically, but was told that the dog was depressed, when he told me i burst out laughing , very annoyed , my mate said that was the truth, has anybody else ever had a dog that was diagnosed as being depressed would'nt mind hearing some reply's , then i could help my mate with his problem :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: much appreciated

I was reading along with interest until I got to those infamous words "Rainbow Bridge" didnt bother going any further :doh::laugh: I think dogs do suffer mood changes and they certainly can seem miserable and pine for their pals/owners they have been attatched to etc. I think its important to remember that they are animals and that it can take them a while to build up trust and bonds, some people think of greyhounds purely as money making machines. Perhaps your mate should spend a bit more quality time with the dog to try and get the best out of it? I am no expert on greyhounds, but the ones I have had in the past have always taken a wee while to come to their best when they enter a new home, change of diet, routine etc, give the dog the best you can of everything for a few weeks and then trial it again and see if you notice a difference :thumbs:

Edited by SJM
I was reading along with interest until I got to those infamous words "Rainbow Bridge" didnt bother going any further :doh::laugh: I think dogs do suffer mood changes and they certainly can seem miserable and pine for their pals/owners they have been attatched to etc. I think its important to remember that they are animals and that it can take them a while to build up trust and bonds, some people think of greyhounds purely as money making machines. Perhaps your mate should spend a bit more quality time with the dog to try and get the best out of it? I am no expert on greyhounds, but the ones I have had in the past have always taken a wee while to come to their best when they enter a new home, change of diet, routine etc, give the dog the best you can of everything for a few weeks and then trial it again and see if you notice a difference :thumbs:

yes your maybe right , but he breeds greyhounds , keeps racers , and also rears them on , he currently has about 50 dogs in total , is at the kennel 24/7 him and his worker , so those dogs are handled and groomed on a daily basis, that particular dog had been in the kennel 3 weeks , so had ample time to re-adjust :thumbs:

but thanks for your thoughts

Guest Ditch_Shitter

'Three weeks - ample time to adjust' ? You ever suffered Depression, Denned? It's not like a cold, something ye shake off so quick. If the man who diagnosed it really meant " Depression " then the poor Dog might take a whole lot longer to sort his head out.

Considering how one of the main symptoms of that vile illness is simple lack of interest and will, that'd certainly explain the Dogs performance. I don't expect they do Anti Depressent medications for Dogs. So, yeppers, plenty of one on one stimulation would seem the option. I'd suggest taking him out of the routine of kenel life may be an approach to consider?

After all, let's face it; A Racing Kennel is actually very comparable to a prison. Sure, the food's light years better and the Dogs don't need to fear anything. But it's still a pretty regimented regimen. Thus there'd be little to distract that Dog from the black cloud inside his head. He's in a rut and fixed to stay there.

Perhaps a break from all that?

Just a suggestion anyway.

'Three weeks - ample time to adjust' ? You ever suffered Depression, Denned? It's not like a cold, something ye shake off so quick. If the man who diagnosed it really meant " Depression " then the poor Dog might take a whole lot longer to sort his head out.

Considering how one of the main symptoms of that vile illness is simple lack of interest and will, that'd certainly explain the Dogs performance. I don't expect they do Anti Depressent medications for Dogs. So, yeppers, plenty of one on one stimulation would seem the option. I'd suggest taking him out of the routine of kenel life may be an approach to consider?

After all, let's face it; A Racing Kennel is actually very comparable to a prison. Sure, the food's light years better and the Dogs don't need to fear anything. But it's still a pretty regimented regimen. Thus there'd be little to distract that Dog from the black cloud inside his head. He's in a rut and fixed to stay there.

aye ditch you are probably right,

it's not something i have suffered personally( except when the stupid hunting ban came) but i have seen plenty of people suffer , and yes it's a terrible illness , but having had dogs near on 30 year it's hard to imagine a greyhound to suffer such an illness, this dog has been moved in the kennel to nearest the door , so that he is seeing everything that is going on in the kennels, he gets let out 4 times / day onto a 3 acre field for a scamper , he is ,at this moment in time becoming more active than he was , so it's possible that he has been needing a rest from racing , he's only had 8 races to date , so you'd think he would'nt need a rest ,but we are very patient people and he will get the rest he needs, the dog himself will let us know when he is ready, also we cant administer drugs to the dog for fear of it showing up if tested, so no he is'nt taking any medication . thanks for your interest

no being funny but if the greyhound is a bitch it could have been

on needle to stop it breaking down

and if this isnt kept up the bitch will be out of sorts and not run correctly

till it as a season or put back on the needle :thumbs:

no being funny but if the greyhound is a bitch it could have been

on needle to stop it breaking down

and if this isnt kept up the bitch will be out of sorts and not run correctly

till it as a season or put back on the needle :thumbs:

no it's a dog , but as i said he's coming to himself gradually so time will tell , cheers anyway.