Newbie Here Needing Advice

Hi everyone. I am needing some advice. I have been shooting a few rabbits in a horse field but lately there hasn't been many rabbits about.

I might see 2 or 3 if I'm lucky. I have permission in a horse field and their Warren is between a hedgerow, I have ferrets but at the moment not in a financial position to buy a ferret finder.

Any tips etc?

If I go at night soon as the lamp iis on they run or you get a neighbour dog barking soon as I shoot.

Early mornings I might see up to 5 but soon as I get one the rest don't show up again even if I wait an hour or so.

Need the bunnies to feed my ferrets, needing help and advice. I can't find no one near me who can help me (Kent uk)

• Like 2

Hi everyone. I am needing some advice. I have been shooting a few rabbits in a horse field but lately there hasn't been many rabbits about.

I might see 2 or 3 if I'm lucky. I have permission in a horse field and their Warren is between a hedgerow, I have ferrets but at the moment not in a financial position to buy a ferret finder.

Any tips etc?

If I go at night soon as the lamp iis on they run or you get a neighbour dog barking soon as I shoot.

Early mornings I might see up to 5 but soon as I get one the rest don't show up again even if I wait an hour or so.

Need the bunnies to feed my ferrets, needing help and advice. I can't find no one near me who can help me (Kent uk)

Several options,

Try shooting with Nv instead of a lamp, sounds like they are lamp shy.

Shoot one and bugger off instead of waiting around, do that every early morning.

Find someone to go ferreting with who has a finder.

I would be cautious about giving advice on not using a finder without seeing the set, I lost a ferret in a four hole job in a grass field, turned out there was a 6 inch pipe they had broken into and it went for 3 fields before dropping into a ditch.

Hi thank you for your reply.

No one near where I am ferrets or hunts have found it hard to find someone to come along as had a few people but they don't want to keep it up.

The set is between a bramble hedge row, loads of holes some backing onto a horse field some onto a farmers field.

Would it make a difference if I used a red cover on my lamp? As I read up that that can help.

Also I hit a rabbit but it managed to run back down its hole, I always aim for the neck or head and always get it 95% of the time. My gun doesn't feel powerful enough sometimes (22 air rifle) one shot is powerful but the next feels like it's not as much

Not sure if I replied as I can't see the reply.

I have asked about and no one local owns ferrets or shoots. A few mates have come with me but get bored. The last few days I have been going at different times. Morning just before sun comes up and then again during the day and at night. I know there are 60+ bunnies about but you only see a handful at a time.

I did try snaring as was told by landowner to try this. Put 12 down and none went off *sigh*

The Warren is between a horse field and a corn field amongst brambles. Also in some sand left over from the sand school.

Would a cover on the lamp work? So it's a red beam not a white?

• 8 months later...

hello there I use spring traps such as mk4 fenn place either on runs or in the burrow itself from my current research you can baitthem with apples and surprisingly enough carrots and even cider in aspray bottle to lure those pesky wabbits dan the scotsman also a bit of a novice

Jemma there are plenty of ferreters in kent being new on the forum doesn't help stick with it though and in time you will probably get an invite in the mean time feed your ferrets dry food if you have nothing else I have a friend who's daughter ferrets she found it hard to be taken seriously but she stuck to it and is now very accomplished with the web's atb lee

are you using a spring loading air rifle? if yes then you wont have any power loss in between shots I would just shoot one when the opportunity arises and it wont take you long to get numbers under control -pity you too far as it wouldn't take me long to clean them up as I use thermal scope [no visible beam]

hello there I use spring traps such as mk4 fenn place either on runs or in the burrow itself from my current research you can baitthem with apples and surprisingly enough carrots and even cider in aspray bottle to lure those pesky wabbits dan the scotsman also a bit of a novice

do the apples and carrots deter people's pets from putting there feet in them then