Pure Saluki

don't get me wrong I am not claiming the super dogs or perfection itself, my first one drove me to despair like most pups do, it would of been easy to write him off and blame the breeder type of dog etc, but all it took in reality was stepping back and looking at it fom another angle and seeking advice off others , the rest just took time and patienece and likely most of my remaining hair, but most thinhgs in life dont come easy or they dont if they worth having in the first place

• Like 5

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The problem with most the input on these saluki threads is that most who comment have not even owned one, and if they have it usually stayed around year then bred from or sold on,   Cant run in smal

Ghostly Ease?, yea I see where you coming from with that phrase mate, when they flat out in pursuit they make it look so effortless, really graceful, a real pleasure to watch, kill or no kill, its the

listen it's simple , The Fact you only said you had not got a running dog after I put the offer out there shows your a talker like I already stated. I'm still willing to run your dogs with my dogs. On

Posted Images

The problem with most the input on these saluki threads is that most who comment have not even owned one, and if they have it usually stayed around year then bred from or sold on,

Cant run in small fields , yea right :whistling:

not as fast as a lurcher, :whistling:

lack aggression :whistling:

one trick ponies :whistling:

wont come back :whistling:

stupid :whistling:

yet despite all the above statements and many others made in books on net over years the saluki still remains the oldest breed of lurcher out of them all, forget hancock plummer, THL, these dogs gave been providing man with food and sport for thousands of years, , unchanged unspoiled as there has been little need to change them, functionality is the beauty of the dog

fair does it might not come wagging its tail after you smashed it face in for missing a hare or rabbit and showing you up in front of your pals etc, but when was that a sign of being clever?

maybe its clever enough to know its owners limitations, better than they do?

if they so shit how come 100% of all coursing dogs have a massive dollop of pure blood running right thrugh em, prior to saluki's hare coursing was just that , running after hares, not much good if you want to eat but fun though

Could it not be that most lads who buy one would in reality be better off buying a coursing dog instead?

could it not be that all the ones that 'fail' where owned by the sort of muppets that fail most types of dogs they have in their care?

A lurcher is generally a blank canvas when you get it, a lot is down to what you put into it, selling at one year of age tells its own story imho was rome built in a day?

yea I think there more poor dog men that poor saluki's :thumbs:

when a dog wont return to its owner , you really have to question why? easy too blame the dog, but I doubt the dog just landed on your doorstep via the saluki stork, no most go out and buy them, once it goes tits up, its much easier to blame the dog or the breed than to try look into ourselves and improve ,I'd be ashamed if I took something bred right with years of work behind it and made a right hash of it, Id look into myself first long before blaming the rest of the world n its bother

don't get me wrong I am not claiming the super dogs or perfection itself, my first one drove me to despair like most pups do, it would of been easy to write him off and blame the breeder type of dog etc, but all it took in reality was stepping back and looking at it fom another angle and seeking advice off others , the rest just took time and patienece and likely most of my remaining hair, but most thinhgs in life dont come easy or they dont if they worth having in the first place

Best posts I've read on here for quite a while :thumbs:.

Though I have to disagree in your first post with 'prior to salukis hare coursing was just that, running after hares'. Seen plenty of greyhounds and whippet/greyhounds catching hares very regularly, and pretty damned quickly too, even with 'law' before they were slipped.

Not talking about the 200 yard slips which I've heard quoted many times in clips, but never actually seen, but probably the same as most coursing bred dogs actually get slipped at.

And anyway, you've likened salukis to lurchers, so fair law coursing isn't really in the equation.

But the rest of your posts I'm in full agreement with :thumbs:

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 2

I would'nt have thought anyone would choose a pure Saluki to use as an all rounder mate, i,v certainly never seen one in 40 odd years

So what does that mean there are none ?

No desertbred it doesnt, but as yet i havent seen one, but to "CHOOSE" one to use as an true alrounder when imho there are better options out there, come on, i,d be looking for something with the very least a better nose and abit more between the ears if i wanted a true alrounder. In fact i wouldnt choose a PURE anything if i was looking to train something to be a true alrounder, thats why we have Lurchers. All depends what your definition of an alrounder is i suppose.

• Like 2

A saluki is what its owner makes it. Either a use full piece of kit that will have a go at most stuff put in front of it and do it on large quite well. or as a means to put other things into breeds that have something lacking. Most of the ones that dont make the grade usually have been ill trained and been raised in the hands of totally inept owners or the foundation stock used have not been selected to give the .best chance of gelling together increasing the possibilities of producing something usefull . As with any running dog you get some quick ones and some slow ones, a good stock man will soon realise if the dog has pace or not. if not he will lead the dog down a slightly different path, as regards how and where it works bring a saluki up as a working lurcher and that is what it will be. I have a dog he is an out and out courser /sight dog. I have two bitches will run anything , have a do on teeth and will bush their own game yet put them out on the big land they revert to type and are really clever coursing hounds. Some one mentioned 200 yard slips I am not keen on kick ups myself lol All rounder what do you think Salukis are in their countries of origin Gonads ? As for something lackingbetween the ears or being plodders, over 6,000 years breed history quashes that myth. What would you say are "better all rounders"?

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 3

As for something lackingbetween the ears or being plodders, over 6,000 years breed history quashes that myth.

Has it really. True alrounders are very thin on the ground and i,ll admit i havent got one, but i,v said my piece and will leave it at that.

Wisest thing youve said :thumbs:

• Like 1

The problem with most the input on these saluki threads is that most who comment have not even owned one, and if they have it usually stayed around year then bred from or sold on,

yet despite all the above statements and many others made in books on net over years the saluki still remains the oldest breed of lurcher out of them all, forget hancock plummer, THL, these dogs gave been providing man with food and sport for thousands of years, , unchanged unspoiled as there has been little need to change them, functionality is the beauty of the dog

fair does it might not come wagging its tail after you smashed it face in for missing a hare or rabbit and showing you up in front of your pals etc, but when was that a sign of being clever?

if they so shit how come 100% of all coursing dogs have a massive dollop of pure blood running right thrugh em, prior to saluki's hare coursing was just that , running after hares, not much good if you want to eat but fun though

Could it not be that most lads who buy one would in reality be better off buying a coursing dog instead?

could it not be that all the ones that 'fail' where owned by the sort of muppets that fail most types of dogs they have in their care?

A lurcher is generally a blank canvas when you get it, a lot is down to what you put into it, selling at one year of age tells its own story imho was rome built in a day?

ill put land on Jan Ritch on some good fen land show me a gooden

You talk a good one Mr Powers ,wheel out what youve got in any month and we will see what youve got worth feeding.You talk a lot .probably piss and wind like you namesake.out on the land is the test not bollocks on a computer

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 1

I've only ever bought one Saluki, I took the collar and lead, then give the dog back to the man :laugh:

The only thing I see what good a pure Saluki is good for is putting wind into a breed, what will a pure do that a grey x bull x sal won't do? Or a grey x collie x sal?

But then again if we had a desert in the middle of Yorkshire one might be handy.

There is easier dogs out there to train and run that will do more than the pure Saluki can.

• Like 1

I've only ever bought one Saluki, I took the collar and lead, then give the dog back to the man :laugh:

The only thing I see what good a pure Saluki is good for is putting wind into a breed, what will a pure do that a grey x bull x sal won't do? Or a grey x collie x sal?

But then again if we had a desert in the middle of Yorkshire one might be handy.

There is easier dogs out there to train and run that will do more than the pure Saluki can.

Another expert who failed with one saluki so their shit LOL bull x must be your line LOL

You talk a good one Mr Powers ,wheel out what youve got in any month and we will see what youve got worth feeding.You talk a lot .probably piss and wind like you namesake.out on the land is the test not bollocks on a computer
im being serious mate how many hares were killed in saluki comps on decent land how many u kill that morning I met u in car park with Ritch

Told you get out with your hounds lets see you walk the walk. A dog is only as good as the next time it runs.

Edited by desertbred

im being serious mate how many hares were killed in saluki comps on decent land how many u kill that morning I met u in car park with Ritch
Told you get out with your hounds lets see you walk the walk. Adog is only as good as the next time it runs.
sorry need a answer

Your answers there ! either put up or shut up simple isnt it.

Another expert who failed with one saluki so their shit LOL bull x must be your line LOL

Wind ya neck in db lol, I am no expert whatsoever, never owned a saluki but know plenty who have, and as for bull x I've only ever owned one, thats the one I have now and she only has 1/8 th in her, think before you assume eh! so seeing as you rate salukis, tell me what can they do better than a regular lurcher? they won't do rabbits as good, never seen them in the past catch hares as quick as a 3/4 bred grey, I will stand by what I said they good for one thing, breeding wind into running dogs