• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eh up son. How's things. Trying you hand at the sticks are you. Done a few myself, and the best were natural root sticks from the hedgerow. Mainly ash, hazel, blackthorn and holly. Went down the rout

No son I haven't. Wish I could help. I've one last holly which is going to be a dormouse coming out of a hole . Very intricate but hopefully worth the effort. Beauty of holly is the lovely white wood

In fact, somewhere on here there is a pic post of 2 of my earliest sticks. The pheasants beak had been broken off whilst beating the dog for a bad retrieve lol.lol. Jok.

• 2 weeks later...

Jok brought a stick about 5 years ago from game fair and a shepherd's crook decided to have a go with them now finished what is the best varnish to use and how do u apply it if it was u would u go for a gloss or satin hope u can help thanks

Troyboy. There's your answer. TBH I've mainly used a yacht varnish and have no problem with either gloss or Matt. I also use a polish which is nice when finishing on the lathe, but that is because it's spinning at speed and you can get the heat up. Adam. Stockpot is sending me some roe antler with which I' m going to another thumbstick (hopefully). The crown looks a bit thicker than the last one so might be able to put it on a heavier stick. PM Me if you wish. Jok.