Introduction to rimfire

so as the weather looked crap for the weekend, putting a downer on ferreting, magwitch kindly Invited me out for an evening shooting instead, this gave me a chance to test out 2 things, firstly my £99 lidi nightvison mono, which I'd tried in the back garden, and also to see how my vitara (dont laugh) would handle off road.

we arrived at his permission and went into 4wd, on setting up his rifle, I drove along the rows of apple tree's, stopping at each lane for pat to take a look down, having his night vison set up on the rifle, I found it was too much to have both night vison IR's on as this made it too bright, so pat using his set up with the IR on, and me without, I was happily suprised on how clear mine was, and I could easily follow his line of site, spot the rabbits eye's and watch the action.

after a very enjoyable evening, we ended up with 26 rabbits,

a big thanks to magwitch, once again for the invite,

on arriving back at his, he also had some birds in the freezer for me, Im glad it was 01-00am by the time I got home, saved the neighbours seeing me take a wheelbarrow to the vitara, to bring in a barrow load of pheasant, partridge,woodies and rabbits,

my freezer is now full to the top

post-5267-1197078815_thumb.jpg

a very nice bag there.. good for a nights work. :clapper:

stubbs, since ive been using my rimmy with my nv setup the lamp has stayed indoors. makes night shooting alot easier. to me nv is addictive, them bunnies aint got a clue whats going to hit them.

what rifle is magwitch using ?

richie

he'll have to answer that one richie, he did tell me, but I'd have trouble pronouncing it, let alone spell it, I know it starts with an Antz something

but your right about being addictive, the night vision is the dogs danglies, for future use Im gonna see if I can couple my NV mono to a telescopic

but thats for the future, after Ive applied for an FAC,

Stubby, that sounds like an Anschutz rifle. The Suzuki 4WD motors are very capable off road, just that being on the small side,you can't tow much or get a lot inside. I have had Suzukis for years. Cheap to run and very reliable.

I am interested in the night vision scopes,but also shoot in daytime. Can these scopes be used for day and night,or do you have to swap scopes?

Were you not using any lamps at all? So if no lamps,the NV scope has to be used to see the bunnies at all?

What is IR ?

Edited by Geoff.C

hi Geoff, yup, your right about the carrying capacity of the vitz, mines only the 3 door, but worked great last night,

there are lots of different types of nightvison, and Im no expert, but you basically use your daytime telescopic, then add the nightvison on behind it, makes it longer and a bit weird to hold rifle, but soon get used to it, this on its own (battery power) will give you a green target picture, the IR,I think stands for infa red projects a beam that reflects on the rabbits eyes making them stand out like a sore thumb

the better quaility the IR the furher it will project, the lidi one I have mounted on a mono nightvison, can see out to around 50yds give or take, magwitches goes alot further, which is why, I kept mine turned off, and just used mine with nightvison, picking up the reflected beam from his

Right,thanks for that Stubby. So as part of the night vision equipment,you need a Infra-red lamp mounted on the scope too? Can you see reasonably with just the green NV scope,or is the IR a must have? Never used any of this stuff you see, usually have a lamp working buddy if I am out at night.

Right,thanks for that Stubby. So as part of the night vision equipment,you need a Infra-red lamp mounted on the scope too? Can you see reasonably with just the green NV scope,or is the IR a must have? Never used any of this stuff you see, usually have a lamp working buddy if I am out at night.

normally when you buy a NV unit, it comes with the IR attached to it, yes you can use the nv, without the ir, but think you'd have a time trying to spot the rabbits, the IR gives you the edge, by lighting up the rabbits eyes,

someone with more knowledge on the subject would be able to tell ya more

normally when you buy a NV unit, it comes with the IR attached to it, yes you can use the nv, without the ir, but think you'd have a time trying to spot the rabbits, the IR gives you the edge, by lighting up the rabbits eyes,

someone with more knowledge on the subject would be able to tell ya more

Thanks for the information so far Stubby,I am now a bit better than clueless as I was before! :bye:

Most of my shooting is done at 55-75 yards' has long as i get a good image of the rabbit i know its in range, but be careful not to shoot at just the eyes because it may turn out to be a partridge :doh:

that'll be why that rabbit flew away then :wallbash:

NV and IR are not the same, but most good Night Vision units come with an Infa Red lense attatched to the side. The IR gives you increased light gathering capability with the NV, ie NV is good without, but better with. IR is "basically", very basically and additional "non white" light source that helps light up the target area increasing the effectivness of the NV.

NV really does work, but to be honest any scope that costs under £1k is just a toy, and the dif between a £500 unit and £1500 is out of this world. If I was only in a possition to buy at the bottom end, I really would stick with a good standard scope and lamp combo.