European Eagle Owl

peterhunter86

My mate bought a five month old eagle owl.hes tried it on a few different types of food but it will only eat chicks would chicks be enough to sustain it. Cheers peter.

Not really if he wants the bird to be in good health. It needs whole carcass food rats quail etc to maintain good health. Tell him to cut it's weight, it will eat anything then.

TC

• Like 2

My mate bought a five month old eagle owl.hes tried it on a few different types of food but it will only eat chicks would chicks be enough to sustain it. Cheers peter.

Not really if he wants the bird to be in good health. It needs whole carcass food rats quail etc to maintain good health. Tell him to cut it's weight, it will eat anything then.

TC

Cheers tc.he said when he first got it he tried every thing but it wouldnt eat anything it starved fo three or four days till he gave it chicks.he said they only fed it chicks and told him it doesnt need anything eles.

TC

Cheers tc.he said when he first got it he tried every thing but it wouldnt eat anything it starved fo three or four days till he gave it chicks.he said they only fed it chicks and told him it doesnt need anything eles.

A bird will live of chicks but not thrive. like most animals it needs a balanced diet protein and roughage to get it casting pellets. The problem with d o chicks is there is bugger all in them. Raptors need the roughage from intestines of the small animals / birds they eat. Is the bird sitting on a glove? If so tell him to feel the birds keel (Sternum) if it's breast is proud of the sternum then that bird could go a week without food and not feel any detrimental effects.

Every one thinks that raptors are out and out killers but their not, they only eat when their weight drops enough to switch them into hunting mode. One big meal and they may not hunt again for days, simply because they cannot, their hunting mode has been switched off by the food and they will have to drop their weight again for it to be switched back on. The reason it will take chicks every day is because there is very little feeding value at all in them, so the bird does not put enough weight on to switch it's feeding mode off.

TC

• Like 2

I've owned 1/8 years it will only eat chicks and pigeon/even though as a youngster it was brought up on quail rat mice and rabbit /when she got 2about 3 years old she would just leave the other stuff and only eat pigeon and chicks she is a big bird and very healthy

I've owned 1/8 years it will only eat chicks and pigeon/even though as a youngster it was brought up on quail rat mice and rabbit /when she got 2about 3 years old she would just leave the other stuff and only eat pigeon and chicks she is a big bird and very healthy

So it's fair to say you do not feed her on chicks alone?

TC

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...