18 replies to this topic

#16 W. Katchum

W. Katchum

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,879 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:00 pm

Cheers for that griff, my plan was to use a mora an take handle off that, drill hole down inside small antler an epoxy the tang thing into handle, but iv never done any of it before so ill prob end up with a big fire or a couple fingers in a bag a peas on route to hospital haha ill get on scrounge now an see about sorting out some tools, an ill have a good look through them blanks mate. Ideally tho id love to have a blast a forging an even tryin to make 4 or 5 similar knives one for me an 3 sons an even daughter if she wanted one, i got few years tho as youngest two are still toddlers haha
  • GruffaloGriff likes this

#17 W. Katchum

W. Katchum

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,879 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:03 pm

Id love to have ago, i think im part magpie as if its shiney it catches me eye an if its sharp then it gets my attention, nowhere to use as as a work shop and no whete hear the tools needed or money to justify buying them, one day tho haha my lad has got a wee antler off a roe here tho an really wants it as a knife handle so i may try that at sone point haha

tell the truth your just tight arse :laugh:

Need money to be tight haha too many kids im afraid haha it wont be forever tho and slowly but surely kids getting older an i got more time an money haha i vaguely remember having money an bein able to do as i pleased haha not anymore but its worth it haha
  • GruffaloGriff likes this

#18 shocker

shocker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:22 pm

I have the same (or very similar) blank, bought at the CLA Game fair some years ago. I have, however, made knives myself in the past. I no longer have the space to have a forge at home as I live  in a disabled adapted flat - the neighbours and authorities have a disappointing lack of tolerance of the flames and hammering. And swearing. Oh, so much swearing.

Now I am limited to just dressing knives, as the OP has done, but this is nothing to scoffed at. Theres still a lot of ways to go wrong!

My build is on hold just now, until I pick up some M6 brass bolts, or cut the thread on some quarter inch brass rod. I have gone through a load of scale (handle) choices and have now settled on some walnut  from an old SLR L1A1 (FN FLAR) british army rifle buttstock. I have some brass to mount as a sort of bolster/fingerguard, similar to this:

http://www.english-h...g/info_387.html

...for which I will have to drill some more holes in the blank to secure with M4 screws. Then its the walnut for the rest of the hilt, a scale on either side, fixed with M6 brass into some A4 stainless sleeve nuts set into the wood.

A little 8mm copper pipe to line the lanyard hole then jobs a good 'un!

Premature? Well, yes, because I shall want to shape the hilt butt end with the linisher, then belt-sand the whole to shape, working a finger-groove into the bolster end, around the brass/wood joint.

I shall take some pics and post when I get a chance to do the work. I hope this of interest to someone out there!

#19 shocker

shocker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:32 pm

May I recommend old files as a source of good barstock for knife making? Myself and others have been doing this for quite a while - going round second hand shops and stalls at shows, picking up old files for as little as 10p each (usually 50p-ish). 

The files can then be annealed to soften the HSS (or similar!) for working, a propane torch will usually be enough. Just make sure it cools slowly, one friend pushes the metal into a pile of sand, another shoves the hot bar into the earth. Then its cardboard template, grinder and so on,  Harden the blade by heating and quenching, then hilt and polish. Simples.

Well, not really, but straightforward, and very rewarding. Theres lots of info and advice out there, Instructables, YouTube etc...theres some great stuff by some russian guys. If anyone is really interested and doesnt for some reason find what they need I could maybe be persuaded to post some links. Grumble, moan etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users