I've just made 12 Gallons I have in the past left it to the natural yeasts on the apples and it has been successful but this is a bit of a gamble considering the labour that involves making the cider so I don't leave to chance this is what I use.attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

And this is the result after 24 hours the start of a healthy fermentation it goes through many stages it will stink like eggs for about a week there is a whole topic about it on the net something to do with sulphur, more to an apple than you realise complex little things.

My first batch is very slow to start but I'm pitching exactly that yeast in my new batch in the morning.....

I'm only doing 2 gallon batches at the moment...... Getting pretty obsessed to say the least!

Matt

It does get pretty obsessive with the yeast it's all about being in a reasonable temperature as well mines in an outside building but when the sun shines on it it gets quite warm which helps it along.

The crucial bit is after fermentation keeping it airtight otherwise it can't wait to turn to cider vinegar.

The only I made cider with a friend, we used white wine yeast on one 5 gal batch and left the natural yeast on the other.

I think the cider was a bit warm when we pitched the yeast as it took off like crazy and when finished the cider lacked flavour. The natural one took a lot longer to ferment but the end result was much better.

I think I'll give the one you used a try, cheers.

• Like 1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The first couple of gallons....hopefully go for 3 gallons next weekend..... Matt

I've been caught pulling up a chair and just watching it bubble by the Mrs..... It'll be no laughing matter when I'm belting out James brown classics with my pants on my head in March..... She may mo

I made a simple press today with stuff I had laying around.

Posted Images

I've just made 12 Gallons I have in the past left it to the natural yeasts on the apples and it has been successful but this is a bit of a gamble considering the labour that involves making the cider so I don't leave to chance this is what I use.attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

And this is the result after 24 hours the start of a healthy fermentation it goes through many stages it will stink like eggs for about a week there is a whole topic about it on the net something to do with sulphur, more to an apple than you realise complex little things.

My first batch is very slow to start but I'm pitching exactly that yeast in my new batch in the morning.....

I'm only doing 2 gallon batches at the moment...... Getting pretty obsessed to say the least!

Matt

It does get pretty obsessive with the yeast it's all about being in a reasonable temperature as well mines in an outside building but when the sun shines on it it gets quite warm which helps it along.

The crucial bit is after fermentation keeping it airtight otherwise it can't wait to turn to cider vinegar.

The only I made cider with a friend, we used white wine yeast on one 5 gal batch and left the natural yeast on the other.

I think the cider was a bit warm when we pitched the yeast as it took off like crazy and when finished the cider lacked flavour. The natural one took a lot longer to ferment but the end result was much better.

Cider in general is much better with a long fermentation period you get a better flavour I did this myself one year, one five gallon batch with a champagne yeast which works fine all be it a bit dry but I like it like that, and the other five gallon batch natural it was so much better it was a lovely fresh clean taste and you didn't realise you was getting pissed until it slapped you in the face which wasn't a bad thing.

Last years batch I managed about 7.2% alcohol it was ridiculous one particular piss up in the garden had me running about in me underpants with Hawkwind blasting out.

This lot I've just made is about 6% good times ahead.

Great to hear everyone's having a go and all the methods being shared.

• Like 5

Matt

Cider in general is much better with a long fermentation period you get a better flavour I did this myself one year, one five gallon batch with a champagne yeast which works fine all be it a bit dry but I like it like that, and the other five gallon batch natural it was so much better it was a lovely fresh clean taste and you didn't realise you was getting pissed until it slapped you in the face which wasn't a bad thing.

Last years batch I managed about 7.2% alcohol it was ridiculous one particular piss up in the garden had me running about in me underpants with Hawkwind blasting out.

This lot I've just made is about 6% good times ahead.

Great to hear everyone's having a go and all the methods being shared.

Real cider can get you into a mad form of pissed lol

I decided to go for S-04 yeast which is very similar to Nottingham Ale yeast, I read on forums that it leaves a fair bit of apple flavour after fermentation, not as dry as champagne yeast.

You be careful Matt. Tops coming off of bottles is not good. When you you think about it, all the good ciders are still. It's only the have to have versions that have loads of bubbles. Try doing a small amount with say 1/4 teaspoon or less of sugar and go from there. Jok.

• Like 1

Sheep mate. That looks like a lot more than bits lying around. That took some planning as did my olde press. Looks good though. I used a car jack to create the pressure. Little bit each morning until flat. Jok.

What are your views on adding sugar at bottling stage to a sparkle?

Matt

Hi Matt rather than add sugar you can now get glucose drops that you can add to the bottles or you can add the drops to the Demi Jons prior to bottling and as the spring weather comes it normally has a secondary fermentation, I prefer it still myself.

Here's an example of what I am on about. http://www.tesco.com/direct/coopers-carbonation-drops/213-3925.prd?source=others

• Like 1

Made a few batches this year and added a pint of rhubarb juice to one lot. Interested to see what that turns out like.....anyone tried it before ?

Have you tried Weston's Flat Tyre cider with rhubarb, tastes great, I was thinking about doing the same as you next year.