• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The first couple of gallons....hopefully go for 3 gallons next weekend..... Matt

I've been caught pulling up a chair and just watching it bubble by the Mrs..... It'll be no laughing matter when I'm belting out James brown classics with my pants on my head in March..... She may mo

I made a simple press today with stuff I had laying around.

Posted Images

1 litre PET bottles and cleaned Weston's vintage bottles all with s teaspoon of sugar. Muscavado sugar in some and normal sugar in others, I'm allowed one bottle at xmas then the rest will be coming out at some BBQ or other over the summer!

Matt

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Well all the Christmas nonsense is over so I thought it was time for the important stuff, I racked off two barrels today and it seems to be coming along fine will rack off again in February and then bottle in March then mid April onwards start drinking can't wait.post-20963-0-31194000-1483383021_thumb.jpeg

post-20963-0-65466700-1483383070_thumb.jpeg

post-20963-0-38425800-1483383116_thumb.jpeg

Still a bit cloudy but it was definitely drinkable patience and restraint required.

• Like 1

Looking good! Bet it's dry as a nuns #@$% at the moment though.

My Mrs got me a 220 ltr ex wine barrel for Xmas, I was going to rack the 45 gal plastic barrel into it and forget until coming autumn, let it do the malo lactic fermentation in there, but decided against it so that I can put this year's juice straight into the wood.

• 3 months later...

Yesterday I bottled 5 gallons of cider that I pressed last October.

2 gallons were with ale yeast and campden tablet and 3 gallons with Harris cider yeast and no campden added.

Cider yeast version is much better, it tastes like it's picked up some interesting esters from wild yeast in the juice, it's about 7% alcohol so just what I was hoping for.

I have 1 gallon left and I plan to add to it some blanched and frozen rhubarb and 150 grams of lactose sugar to sweeten it up a bit, lactose is a non-fermentable sugar. I will then leave it to infuse for about 2 weeks.

• Like 1

2 gallons were with ale yeast and campden tablet and 3 gallons with Harris cider yeast and no campden added.

Cider yeast version is much better, it tastes like it's picked up some interesting esters from wild yeast in the juice, it's about 7% alcohol so just what I was hoping for.

I have 1 gallon left and I plan to add to it some blanched and frozen rhubarb and 150 grams of lactose sugar to sweeten it up a bit, lactose is a non-fermentable sugar. I will then leave it to infuse for about 2 weeks.

splenda or the like will sweeten it up and is non fermentable. easy to pick up from tescoes or asda.

splenda or the like will sweeten it up and is non fermentable. easy to pick up from tescoes or asda.

That's interesting, I have this lactose left over from a milk stout I made at Christmas and have heard of others using it to sweeten cider.

• Like 1

splenda or the like will sweeten it up and is non fermentable. easy to pick up from tescos or asda.

That's interesting, I have this lactose left over from a milk stout I made at Christmas and have heard of others using it to sweeten cider.

oh if you have it at hand just use it. has your cider come out dry? only mentioned the splenda as it non fermentable too.

splenda or the like will sweeten it up and is non fermentable. easy to pick up from tescos or asda.

oh if you have it at hand just use it. has your cider come out dry? only mentioned the splenda as it non fermentable too.

Yes it's all dry but flavour is good, I think with some carbonation from priming in the bottles it will be very nice.

I just fancied doing something a bit different with 1 gallon.