Well we processed all the apples in four hours, and got 630 pints! That's too bloody spookily close to my guesstimate.

Not done og yet as we are both right royally fecked.

Will take it in the morning.

200 lts un one barrel I'm going to take a chance on and go naturel, all the rest in 5 gal fv,s with cider, ale and champagne yeast.

Report back in the morning with og.

Makes my little operation seem small fry compared to what you have just done you must be knackered it's not easy is it I quarter them pulp through a tree shredder and then press through a Vigo medium sized press and I'm knackered by the time I've finished and cleaned up.

Good luck with the au naturel it will definetley be the best batch and I look forward to hearing what your OG is.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The first couple of gallons....hopefully go for 3 gallons next weekend..... Matt

I've been caught pulling up a chair and just watching it bubble by the Mrs..... It'll be no laughing matter when I'm belting out James brown classics with my pants on my head in March..... She may mo

I made a simple press today with stuff I had laying around.

Posted Images

One of my batches has just finished fermenting took four and a half weeks I'm pleased with where it is from 1055 to 1003ish straight in a pressure barrel locked down and into the cold shed with a concrete floor will check in about five weeks and rack off an probably bottle late February.post-20963-0-90766400-1479220384_thumb.jpegpost-20963-0-99265700-1479220415_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

The og was a little lower than I expected at 1050, I campden tablet the five 5 gal fv,s, this I now seriously regret!

Even after48hrs the taste of the sulphite is still present, and it has truly robbed the juice of its apple flavour.

Anyway pitched the sparkling wine starter into those this evening, they are indoors at about 15 degrees so see what happens with them.

From now on I will have yeast starters up and running on apple days and pitch immediately.

The og was a little lower than I expected at 1050, I campden tablet the five 5 gal fv,s, this I now seriously regret!

Even after48hrs the taste of the sulphite is still present, and it has truly robbed the juice of its apple flavour.

Anyway pitched the sparkling wine starter into those this evening, they are indoors at about 15 degrees so see what happens with them.

From now on I will have yeast starters up and running on apple days and pitch immediately.

Campden tablets I avoid I try to keep it as natural as possible if I had the bottle I would let it ferment natural as well it's just that if it doesn't work there's a risk of losing it after all the graft.

1050 isn't too bad I was expecting you to say 1058/60ish considering the part of the world your in and the fact the apples would be a lot sweeter as we are marching on into the season.

Good luck with it all.

I use this one http://www.screwfix....CFQwo0wodks8Ieg all I would say is keep water and juice away from the electrics and when I clean mine I apply vegetable oil over the blades, very fast efficient way of pulping you will read on the net that some people say the metal blades taint the flavour of the juice I've been using mine the last threes seasons never had a problem and I picked it up second hand on gumtree £30 and it's never seen a tree before I bought it and since.

Campden tablets I avoid I try to keep it as natural as possible if I had the bottle I would let it ferment natural as well it's just that if it doesn't work there's a risk of losing it after all the graft.

1050 isn't too bad I was expecting you to say 1058/60ish considering the part of the world your in and the fact the apples would be a lot sweeter as we are marching on into the season.

I know, I was expecting around that too! The apples were all fallers and aged about three weeks after, very juicy.

I've decided campden tablets are the spawn of the devil.

The 5 gals are now slowly starting, the 200 ltr as yet appears to be doing nothing.

Good luck with it all.

And breathe! I'm led here now and in the hallway I can hear 4x5 gal fv,s and 1x1 gal going mad.

The big one with the 200 lts out in the shed as yet appears to be still thinking about it, I have now treated it to a quilt and an electric heater, I kid you not! There's a lot of money's worth in that barrel, and I'm not really into vinegar.

The shed is now a constant 15 degrees so fingers crossed she'll get going properly soon.

Interestingly, I was reading on the Vigo site last night that if your juice had not started fermenting within a fortnight you should repitch with yeast and nutrient, 2 weeks!??

• Like 2

And breathe! I'm led here now and in the hallway I can hear 4x5 gal fv,s and 1x1 gal going mad.

The big one with the 200 lts out in the shed as yet appears to be still thinking about it, I have now treated it to a quilt and an electric heater, I kid you not! There's a lot of money's worth in that barrel, and I'm not really into vinegar.

The shed is now a constant 15 degrees so fingers crossed she'll get going properly soon.

Interestingly, I was reading on the Vigo site last night that if your juice had not started fermenting within a fortnight you should repitch with yeast and nutrient, 2 weeks!??

I had one demijon that refused to get get going so In my infinite wisdom and lack of patience I pitched a sachet of that Harris yeast that had gotten the others singing....... It worked...... It's went nuts!

Matt

Ooh, quick update! Just been outside to feed the animals, the smell of fermenting nearly knocked me over when I opened the shed door, so the big girl is now up and running.

Think she must like the molly coddling.

Wish I could still put up pictures but it says I'm not allowed anymore.

• Like 2

Ooh, quick update! Just been outside to feed the animals, the smell of fermenting nearly knocked me over when I opened the shed door, so the big girl is now up and running.

Just link photobucket photo's don't use the sites up-loader.

TC

I read that yeast activity alone can raise the temperature of the cider by 5 deg, maybe uncover it or turn the heat off if you want it to slow down.

Cider is a lot more forgiving when it comes to hygiene, temperate and time left standing. I guess it's due to it's higher acidity and possibly higher sugar content.

I fermented some of mine using S-04 ale yeast, at 15 deg it has a nice slow steady ferment, I have read it's very popular with cider makers in the USA due to it being less efficient than cider yeast and so leaves more flavour of apple.

Used Harris cider yeast for the 5 gal bin and that worked much faster, colour looks good and still has a strong apple smell.

• Like 1

Well, I've had a skive day today and gone back to my home county of Gloucestershire, I won a vigo crossbeam rack and cloth press on the bay. Wasn't going to buy any kit till next year but this went £300 cheaper than usual so it would have been rude not too.

Really helpful chap too, he presently makes 17,000 a season to sell, was very happy to share tips on anything I asked him.

On the way back down called in at Adams apples at honiton to pick up this years 2 year old bare root cider apple trees, only picked up 16 this time as I need to do more fencing before I plant the last acre to keep my *$#@?&* sheep off them.

This year's varieties are,

Brown's, fair maid of Devon, stoke red, yarlington mill, sweet coppin, sweet Alford, sops in wine, Herefordshire redstreak, chisel jersey, hoary morning, Katy, black dabinett, porters perfection, gilly, Kingston black, tremletts bitter.

These are all on semi dwarfing mm106 stocks same as all the others I've planted.

Expensive day, but it will all come back in a few years (hopefully) :-)

Edited by mole trapper
  • Like 2

Dear mr trapper,

The Mrs is from Devon and I enjoy getting down there as and when I can...... Newkid also gets these kinda messages. Lol

I'll take any excess bottles of tainted cider that you may have! Lol

Matt