Thinking of having a crack at a drop of the ol' gut rot,

I have access to plenty of apples year on year and ive been looking attesting a kit from eBay to get me up and running, the kit consists of everything needed except the apples.

Any advice would be great.

PS I have no idea what verity the apples are but they taste nice!

Matt

• Like 2

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The first couple of gallons....hopefully go for 3 gallons next weekend..... Matt

I've been caught pulling up a chair and just watching it bubble by the Mrs..... It'll be no laughing matter when I'm belting out James brown classics with my pants on my head in March..... She may mo

I made a simple press today with stuff I had laying around.

Posted Images

Just ordered the gear......

Utility room comondered for cider production,

Informed the neighbour that I'm gonna make use of his apple tree as well as my own and a few more that I have access to.

Sit back and wait for the cider fuelled rants and observations on here.

Will also be sourcing extra fermentation buckets........

It's gonna be a fun Autumn!

Henry Weston can kiss my ass. Lol

Matt

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

On this subject, what yeast do you find the best for cider?

Some use ale yeast, champagne or wine yeast, maybe you use what's on the apples already?

I hear champagne yeast ferments all the sugar out so the cider is very dry.

Yeast is yeast. It grows and grows. What I'mgoing to say is wrong but hey ho.I got mine fromMarstons Brewery, Burton on Trent. Seemed to work for me and in fact one of my guys has done the same. Roughly 6 on the Richter scale. Instead of using the capsules try getting a culture. Jok.

I've just made 12 Gallons I have in the past left it to the natural yeasts on the apples and it has been successful but this is a bit of a gamble considering the labour that involves making the cider so I don't leave to chance this is what I use.

post-20963-0-55108200-1476636311_thumb.jpegpost-20963-0-21634800-1476636344_thumb.jpeg

And this is the result after 24 hours the start of a healthy fermentation it goes through many stages it will stink like eggs for about a week there is a whole topic about it on the net something to do with sulphur, more to an apple than you realise complex little things.

• Like 2

I've just made 12 Gallons I have in the past left it to the natural yeasts on the apples and it has been successful but this is a bit of a gamble considering the labour that involves making the cider so I don't leave to chance this is what I use.

attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

And this is the result after 24 hours the start of a healthy fermentation it goes through many stages it will stink like eggs for about a week there is a whole topic about it on the net something to do with sulphur, more to an apple than you realise complex little things.

My first batch is very slow to start but I'm pitching exactly that yeast in my new batch in the morning.....

I'm only doing 2 gallon batches at the moment...... Getting pretty obsessed to say the least!

Matt

I've just made 12 Gallons I have in the past left it to the natural yeasts on the apples and it has been successful but this is a bit of a gamble considering the labour that involves making the cider so I don't leave to chance this is what I use.attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

My first batch is very slow to start but I'm pitching exactly that yeast in my new batch in the morning.....

I'm only doing 2 gallon batches at the moment...... Getting pretty obsessed to say the least!

Matt

It does get pretty obsessive with the yeast it's all about being in a reasonable temperature as well mines in an outside building but when the sun shines on it it gets quite warm which helps it along.

The crucial bit is after fermentation keeping it airtight otherwise it can't wait to turn to cider vinegar.

Yeast is yeast. It grows and grows. What I'mgoing to say is wrong but hey ho.I got mine fromMarstons Brewery, Burton on Trent. Seemed to work for me and in fact one of my guys has done the same. Roughly 6 on the Richter scale. Instead of using the capsules try getting a culture. Jok.

Yeast is not yeast, there are many different varieties and each will give a different flavour to the beer or cider.

Many people use ale yeast like you did with good results.

• Like 2