Modern Land Rover 101?

i,m a bit of a Landy purist and I think, that thing like most modern Landy,s would be left wanting against a proper 101 ,I think the beauty of the original series 1-2-3 and the 101 was the fact they could be repaired at the side of the road if they ever did break down, were as a modern one has to be fixed by a technician with a diagnostics computer and a van full of spare parts, landrover ceased making proper Landy,s after the 200tdi defender, from there on it was all down hill, if you want to go fast get a sports car but if you want to go anywhere get a proper landrover
  • Like 1

i,m a bit of a Landy purist and I think, that thing like most modern Landy,s would be left wanting against a proper 101 ,I think the beauty of the original series 1-2-3 and the 101 was the fact they could be repaired at the side of the road if they ever did break down, were as a modern one has to be fixed by a technician with a diagnostics computer and a van full of spare parts, landrover ceased making proper Landy,s after the 200tdi defender, from there on it was all down hill, if you want to go fast get a sports car but if you want to go anywhere get a proper landrover

The whole point of the Ox is that it can be repaired at the side of the road with a lump hammer and a tin of wd40. 90bhp transit engine is pretty basic.

• 4 weeks later...

The whole point of the Ox is that it can be repaired at the side of the road with a lump hammer and a tin of wd40. 90bhp transit engine is pretty basic.
I,ve got two transits, an old smiley with the bombproof banana engine and a slightly newer dura torque model and neither of them are anywere near as uncomplicated or inexpensive to repair as a proper series Landy, I can drop the sump pull the crank and change the Pistons in the landrover on the side of the road without a jack or lifting the engine, you just can't do that stuff on any modern motor, plus the electrics on all modern motors are a weakness were as I have sat in the drivers seat of my Landy upto my waste in water and it keeps on going as the battery is only there to start it, I can remove the battery once it's going and nothing happens, and the final reason it's better is because it's going up in value were as the ox will plummet like a rock from new so that's why it's better to buy a real ,old one,than a modern pretender, oh and did I mention my free road tax come on
  • Like 1

I thought the 300tdi was a better engine than 200tdi to be honest the td5 was fully of problems . The last of them has puma engine and has amazing torque as for the old ones the had old before 200tdi had leaf springs which made the ride crap and they were too slow .

I thought the 300tdi was a better engine than 200tdi to be honest the td5 was fully of problems . The last of them has puma engine and has amazing torque as for the old ones the had old before 200tdi had leaf springs which made the ride crap and they were too slow .
All defenders were fitted with coil springs not just from the 200tdi engines model onwards
  • Like 1

All defenders were fitted with coil springs not just from the 200tdi engines model onwards

The last model fitted with leaf springs was the series 3 stage 1.

• Like 2

your right lad

your right lad

It's been a long while since I were called a lad! :victory:

your right lad

It's been a long while since I were called a lad! :victory:
well iam almost 72 ?
  • Like 1

. I prefer leafs over coils far to much body roll for my liking, and like I said if you want to go fast get a sports car, I have fitted a few different motors in the old series, the best one was a lightweight fitted with a 200 tdi minus turbo, and a fairy overdrive my friend drove to Spain and back in it, it also has parabolic leafs, it's quite smooth and quiet does 40 mpg and pulls like a horse, I,m afraid I,m biased really as I hate all modern motors, I think any motor made after the mid 90s is just shite, hopefully I have enough old bangers in my fleet that I will never need a new one
  • Like 1

. I prefer leafs over coils far to much body roll for my liking, and like I said if you want to go fast get a sports car, I have fitted a few different motors in the old series, the best one was a lightweight fitted with a 200 tdi minus turbo, and a fairy overdrive my friend drove to Spain and back in it, it also has parabolic leafs, it's quite smooth and quiet does 40 mpg and pulls like a horse, I,m afraid I,m biased really as I hate all modern motors, I think any motor made after the mid 90s is just shite, hopefully I have enough old bangers in my fleet that I will never need a new one
think we have had every landrover defender over the years and although the ones made around the 1996 use steel from aboard and suffered from rot more due to cheap steel despite that we owned a 300tdi fitted larger intercooler tunned fuel pump , was very quick best landy we ever owned I love them but they are silly money now hence why I just bought ranger . Miss the old landy wave ??
  • Like 1