Brian Nuttall

Interesting reading....... How many of you have actually been hunting / digging with Mr Brian Nuttall ?

I spent many a good year hunting with Brian, listening to the stories from yesteryear and learning as we went along our duties. How many of you can say you have dug 28ft to one of Brian's dogs (Ratty) ? She spent some 18 hrs approx in the ground and did exactly what we all expect from our dogs.........

Yes he's a gentleman, yes he's forgotten more than most will ever know................. And yes today his terriers are too small but still a gentleman and has probably done more for the working Patterdale than any other single man.

I wouldn't say they are too small just smaller than his original stuff .He told me once he purposely let size slip but I think he had no choice in the matter ,breeding from same stuff continually does that .I don't agree with some things he's done but overall what is there to moan about .The smooth coated ,bull headed pat type will be about long after he's gone and will have stamped its gene on many a yard .I wish I'd taken up the offer to dig with him in his prime.

Did you notice when The breeding was only so many generations down from line breeding you got bigger? better type and boned animals? Then they lose this and go smaller and lose the bone the more generations down or the closer you get with inbreeding? not saying your own stuff as went either way as I don't know what you got but you have noticed it in others as you said about Brian's..

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Go on I'll accommodate this thread lol the ancestors of this dog go back to mr Nuttals yard best dog I've had for a long while

You sir do sound like an anti to me. Nobody asks that many questions. Gathering information is all your at. Anybody with half a brain cell wouldn't respond to your posts.

I'm not trying to offend you or Brian, it's a case of horses for courses, 12 lbs would be of no use to me or 90% of the UK's terrier men. Brian's had a massive influence on terriers, so have hundreds

Posted Images

Maybe I've been lucky ,maybe I thought long and hard about breeding but my own stuff has never gotten smaller .Breeding from the best bitches back to a single stud has stood me well rather than cousin to cousin and all the mixes thereafter .You need one consistent factor and its my belief the dog is just that .keeping on too many dog pups is detrimental to good size I believe as the temptation is there to use a dog that maybe won't throw size .Brian for example realized that his pups were in demand and broke from his old rule of best to best just to churn out clones to satisfy demand ,losing years of breeding ,size and respect .

• Like 7

Maybe I've been lucky ,maybe I thought long and hard about breeding but my own stuff has never gotten smaller .Breeding from the best bitches back to a single stud has stood me well rather than cousin to cousin and all the mixes thereafter .You need one consistent factor and its my belief the dog is just that .keeping on too many dog pups is detrimental to good size I believe as the temptation is there to use a dog that maybe won't throw size .Brian for example realized that his pups were in demand and broke from his old rule of best to best just to churn out clones to satisfy demand ,losing years of breeding ,size and respect .

how close to those bitches is that stud? What happens when that stud dies?

I understand the first matings were all to the same stud FD but then surely the next matings would havto be half bro/half sis, cousins etc so that can't be avoided regardless?

All bitches are put to a single stud regardless of relationship mate .Cousin to cousin would only occur very infrequently when a new stud is used and would be for her second litter if required .I only use a dog when he's had 5 good seasons on him and a new one would overlap the end of the old stud so I know he's right and still time to change .I had all this documented in my old thread but deleted it.A recent tragedy with my main stud has forced me to use an outcross ,the resulting one pup a bitch ,will be the future from now for me put back to her sire if he makes it 4 more years .

• Like 2

I understand the first matings were all to the same stud FD but then surely the next matings would havto be half bro/half sis, cousins etc so that can't be avoided regardless?

All bitches are put to a single stud regardless of relationship mate .Cousin to cousin would only occur very infrequently when a new stud is used and would be for her second litter if required .I only use a dog when he's had 5 good seasons on him and a new one would overlap the end of the old stud so I know he's right and still time to change .I had all this documented in my old thread but deleted it.A recent tragedy with my main stud has forced me to use an outcross ,the resulting one pup a bitch ,will be the future from now for me put back to her sire if he makes it 4 more years .

Why did you delete it fd?

It was a damn good read

Why did you delete it fd?

It was a damn good read

The usual arseholes mate .

Tried cleaning it up several times but it was ruined in my eyes and I thought f**k it ,why should these scroats get the benefit of knowledge if that's how they act .

• Like 8

Nuttal chose himself to go the route of having all small terriers , not through losing size by accident. He doesn't like big dogs , but long enough time ago the we're big and some probably too big.

Total bollocks ,he lost size and to cut the loss of face he went with it.His early stuff was the envy of many a yard but pound signs meant breed ,breed ,breed .

You were probably glued up anyway .

• Like 2

Talking shit again you dickhead . I know the man well and stayed in his house .and listened to him .and he saw a big dog years ago off rocky and bitch was his from hunt kennals and wouldn't take a mating because of size and era and for all time previous and thereafter .all about small dogs to him . and say you don't have nothing better in your TeX book digging and green game and plush puff area!