New Season

pointer

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quick mooch this afternoon with Pointer, Ste and Eddytom thoroughly enjoyed it again, six kills

It was a hard week with the wind but we managed to catch a couple of rabbits and a moorhen and then both hawks did well on Saturday out with Fourtrak and Eddytom. Yesterday I went to a wooded area and

My young pointer is unfit and fat, my hawk is still fat and fairly unresponsive and I've put a stone of blubber on over the summer due to spending most of my weekends this summer sat in a bivvy eating

Posted Images

It was a hard week with the wind but we managed to catch a couple of rabbits and a moorhen and then both hawks did well on Saturday out with Fourtrak and Eddytom. Yesterday I went to a wooded area and we had three good long hunts on squirrels but they all escaped helped by the ivy and cover. Im not complaining as I really enjoy doing a variety of hunting with the hawk and she managed to catch a rabbit in the end so we didn't blank.

• Like 4

We travelled upto Fortrak73's permission to be met by fairly strong winds. Hares could be seen moving around in the distance and sure enough one got up. My hawk couldn't keep with it in the wind but my GWP isn't exactly steady to hares and turned full on lurcher. He doesn't give in easily and the less said the better !!!!!!

After that we got to see some good dogwork and flights with my hawk taking two rabbits. My mates hawk had tried hard to catch a rabbit but it escaped and she had landed on a dry stone wall. We got closer and I saw her stare down into the cover where my dog was working. She took off and For a second I thought she was going to attack my pointer but she slammed into a hare. It gave her a bit of a tussle but she's a big strong bird and it was secured. We were all over the moon as we've been trying to get a hare for some time on there but it's always windy and they usually run straight uphill to safety. I'm pleased for my mate and his hawk but I'm also extremely jealous lol.

Unfortunately his hawk had lost her transmitter somewhere and the receiver wasn't picking it up. Eventually we lost the light and had to give up looking. It could have fallen into a stream or deep hole but we will try and find it today in the daylight.

C05118EC-1245-453E-B191-02BEC4FB4C6C.jpg

Edited by pointer
  • Like 2

We travelled upto Fortrak73's permission to be met by fairly strong winds. Hares could be seen moving around in the distance and sure enough one got up. My hawk couldn't keep with it in the wind but my GWP isn't exactly steady to hares and turned full on lurcher. He doesn't give in easily and the less said the better !!!!!!

After that we got to see some good dogwork and flights with my hawk taking two rabbits. My mates hawk had tried hard to catch a rabbit but it escaped and she had landed on a dry stone wall. We got closer and I saw her stare down into the cover where my dog was working. She took off and For a second I thought she was going to attack my pointer but she slammed into a hare. It gave her a bit of a tussle but she's a big strong bird and it was secured. We were all over the moon as we've been trying to get a hare for some time on there but it's always windy and they usually run straight uphill to safety. I'm pleased for my mate and his hawk but I'm also extremely jealous lol.

Unfortunately his hawk had lost her transmitter somewhere and the receiver wasn't picking it up. Eventually we lost the light and had to give up looking. It could have fallen into a stream or deep hole but we will try and find it today in the daylight.

C05118EC-1245-453E-B191-02BEC4FB4C6C.jpg

Very nice lads! Mine got kicked off one's arse last season, we don't have many around here so I have to travel to have a go at them.

Maybe this season with some luck...!

Went out for a quick session with Fourtrak this afternoon, there wasn't much about but in the last field the old dog found a rabbit and after a few minutes of waiting while he pinpointed it in the cover it was flushed and caught. Once back home I swapped dogs and after a few unsuccessful flights at pheasants the hawk caught a squirrel.

4C28CD7D-E39B-4856-80A5-E41CB0B44029.jpg

502DABFA-F635-47CB-8F34-82DEC381068D.jpg

9BE63F61-6A82-47E9-AF2F-79C0ACBFA154.jpg

• Like 3

Had a mixed week due to the weather and making my hawk go out with my mates sprocker. She ignored a half dead mixi rabbit in the strange dogs company.......

Tonight she followed my young pointer perfectly before slamming into a pidgeon which was roosting in a tree. She can infuriate me but every now and then she catches something lol

A7DBB83D-DB70-4423-B8FB-369299D67795.jpg

• 2 weeks later...