A drone was round mine and neighbour's houses today. We were a bit concerned as it seemed to be casing rather than admiring the scenery. When it left it went across roads and fields and vanished into the distance. Though there was an unknown car parked far up the road but we didn't get its number.

So, what is the legal position, if I knock it out of the sky and it lands on my property, is it criminal damage on my part?

Would I have to prove sinister intent?

Cheers

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the days of popping things with air rifles are long gone

ambush it with the pressure washer or some thing

If I were to use the air gun to shoot one down what would be best 1.77 or .22?

Posted Images

From what I can tell, this is a bit of a grey area.

I understand (bearing in mind that I'm no legal expert) that if it's close enough for you to bring it down with some kind of pole or a hose pipe etc, then you're protecting your privacy/property and, unlikely to face any prosecution.

However, if it's just in the vicinity and, perhaps, it's shot down, there could be a criminal case to answer - especially if it falls outside your boundary.

But, don't take my word for it. Definitely do some proper research before/if you take any action.

....... as the amount of drones and peoples interest in them increases, the guidelines are become clearer. There will be some info from a uk aviation authority somewhere.

Good luck.

• Like 1

It was hovering for about 30 seconds at a time, having a good look around, maybe in windows, about 20 feet off the ground. I thought, I could probably pop it with my air rifle. Would i get a constable at my door?

I don't know, but would have thought that if you shoot even an air rifle and the pellet goes out side your property you are breaking the law. That said if you shot straight up in the air and hit it would the pellet be classed as leaving your property?

TC

It was hovering for about 30 seconds at a time, having a good look around, maybe in windows, about 20 feet off the ground. I thought, I could probably pop it with my air rifle. Would i get a constable at my door?

If you're caught on film shooting over your boundary, yes, you could be in a lot of bother.

Probably better just to go out there and show it your arse :D

• Like 1