Golden Eagle

Guest Navek

I dont know what they take in the wild, but my mate accounts for roe with his

Really.......it must all be about the strike itself......one slight mistake and its disaster surely......quite interesting really.

It's the power they have in the feet gnash, when something that powerfull grabs your head with both feet you're in some real bother!

Roe deer is the norm with females & males will take small deer as well & of course fox, hare etc......I'd love to see them on deer, but only seen them on hare, which isn't the best spectator sport really when it comes to hawking.

If you are really interested in seeing some hunting & no invites are forthcoming, then maybe it's worth contacting the South East Falconry club. I was a member myself some years ago when I was just starting, but I'm not really a club type of person, but there are some good lads there with quite a few different types of hawks & eagles. They will allow spectators on hunting meets if you're a member. The down side is that they have they're evening socials in Tilbury! Haha....Atb

• Like 1

Really.......it must all be about the strike itself......one slight mistake and its disaster surely......quite interesting really.

It's the power they have in the feet gnash, when something that powerfull grabs your head with both feet you're in some real bother!

Roe deer is the norm with females & males will take small deer as well & of course fox, hare etc......I'd love to see them on deer, but only seen them on hare, which isn't the best spectator sport really when it comes to hawking.

If you are really interested in seeing some hunting & no invites are forthcoming, then maybe it's worth contacting the South East Falconry club. I was a member myself some years ago when I was just starting, but I'm not really a club type of person, but there are some good lads there with quite a few different types of hawks & eagles. They will allow spectators on hunting meets if you're a member. The down side is that they have they're evening socials in Tilbury! Haha....Atb

Same as me mate cant say as i fancy all that club malarkey i was kind of hoping i could just quietly tag along in the background and see how its all done.....i understand the feet are the business end but i take it that means the feeding will be done on the spot i mean its not like a 12 lb bird can fly holding a fox/deer is it ?

Ive seen a couple of Harris,s at work and that was impressive enough but a bird of this size/power on bigger prey id imagine is quite an experience.

Same as me mate cant say as i fancy all that club malarkey i was kind of hoping i could just quietly tag along in the background and see how its all done.....i understand the feet are the business end but i take it that means the feeding will be done on the spot i mean its not like a 12 lb bird can fly holding a fox/deer is it ?

Ive seen a couple of Harris,s at work and that was impressive enough but a bird of this size/power on bigger prey id imagine is quite an experience.

Yes feeding will be done on the spot, that go's for any bird with any quarry, but obviously some birds can carry smaller catch's away & that's to be avoided as much as possible.

Yeh clubs are a funny thing, some folk just need to be part of a club or group no matter what they do, but I'm the opposite. It's what they always recommend in this game 'join a club, find a mentor'. I did neither at first, although tried a club later, but there are times I wish I was more like that...haha They are good for contacts.

I'd love to tag along with someone deer hawking myself, like you say, it would quite an experience & I'm never likely to fly an eagle myself.

Edited by Accip74

go on YouTube mate and have a look at a documentary on there it's in Kazakhstan think it's called the steppe eagle hunters . The documentry is from when they take it from the nest and to when they get it hunting . Hunting wolves is normaly done with two females but the males and female will take fox single handed and small deer. They are trained from a chick on animal skins with the heads still attached and when they grab on to the head the falconer feeds the bird so the bird learns that grabbing the head is the reward as they normaly feed of the tonge so not to ruin the pelt ..
  • 3 weeks later...