Getting A Pup From Southern Ireland

been thinking about getting a pup from southern ireland,could be going over shortly,from what ive read on this forum, seems that you need a passport and other documents to transport dogs from south to north,how do you go about sorting this out and whats the procedure,if i used my own transport could i not just buy a pup from a breeder,pop in the motor in a cage and drive into the north,hoping some of the irish boys on here can advise me all the best.

I got two Lurcher pups of a mate there a few months ago, drove from my house in the north to his in the south and back up with no problem wat so ever! If u want to transport them to England or Scotland ur better from the north cause it's part of Britain, but some transporters now ask for microchips cause they are checking dog couriers at the boats!

• Like 1

South-north theres no restrictions on bringing dogs over the border yourself , transporters may ask for a passport to keep them right if they get stopped..

• Like 2

so am i right in thinking that any paperwork you have relating to the dog you havein your possesion,would be checked if you boarded a ferry from the north to england,or does it just apply to animal transporters.

no paper work is checked as you dont need any even for transporters ...

• 1 year later...
39 minutes ago, pjmc said:

Just looking advice lads,goin to scotland (Belfast x carnryan) this week for few days hunting and wanted to bring my dog in trailer.do I need any paper work or does she need to be microchipped?

Paperwork no , microchip yes seen as it’s a legal requirement to have a dog chipped 

30 minutes ago, pjmc said:

Good man thats great news.i didn't want landing at the boat and dog not let through.will they scan dog and check out it's chip?

Depends who’s there , they probably won’t but for the price of a chip I’d be getting one in