Why Aren't Gundog Lurchers Popular?

I would take a punt at a gwp X grey !

seen a couple and they weren't that good. Not as quick as the collie lurchers on the day, and not as brave... Good hunters though in woodland and fellside
I'd have to see the parents working first like ! This foxhound X bull grey is suiting my needs at the moment great hunter and plenty of guts ! Never be a lamping dog which doesn't bother me

Go for a fell hound or trail hound for a lamping dog! Much leaner than a normal foxhound. When you list the things a hound brings to lurcher lines it amazes me that they are not a popular cross but I must admit I wouldn't want too many knobs getting into hound crosses lol
I'm very lucky as I can keep a few lurchers the dog im taking about will never see the lamp he has no need but u agree he brings a lot to the table lurcher wise he feets are great ! Stamina is unreal literally doesn't stop all day ! He's a nice dog to have around not everyone cup of tea but he's a massive part of my hunting and couldn't be with out the big b*****d now

Yes pal I have a fell hound lurcher and I have seen the hound crosses on the lamp in short the hound cross brings amazing stamina, great drive and feet they are solid dogs built to work the British countryside and another thing the fell hounds are controlled by voice so they can't be too daft either!

I suppose that is everything a gundog could bring but in a running frame. What about voice though?

who'd give a f**k if a dog did yap a bit as long as it does it job,myself i wouldn't give a dam if a dog only had 3 legs as long as it done what i wanted, so stop picking stupid faults and fcuk off and do some knitting,

Keep it civil please....

Was going to say something along those lines earlier, but a tad less politely lol.

Anyway, like I've said previously, I think jeemes gives some valid, practical and sensible thoughts/advice/knowledge.

And to TALKCHEAP, knowledge is not always, or only gained in the field with 20 - 30 + years of experience, or after owning and working 6, 7 or 8 dogs. And despite what you think you know of me, I do NOT consider myself an authority on training lurchers, BUT, I don't make the mistakes that I used to, unlike more than a few lurcher owners that I know, who are on their 3rd, 4th or 5th lurcher, and still making the same 'schoolboy' errors that they were making 30 + years ago. Some people will just never learn.

Ah f**k, I've got to take this canary out again for a quick stretch :thumbs:

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 1

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I genuinely don't know why gundog lurchers aren't more popular. I like collie crosses, but as lurcher work goes ( in the true sense of the word) I would think gundog breeds would be up there along si

Socks wants a gundog X whippet ?

Yes pal I read it tried to get my uncle to write in but hes not really an extrovert to be honest! But all the things Hancock said ring true to be fair this cross has been around and a few people use i

Posted Images

seen a couple and they weren't that good. Not as quick as the collie lurchers on the day, and not as brave... Good hunters though in woodland and fellside
I'd have to see the parents working first like ! This foxhound X bull grey is suiting my needs at the moment great hunter and plenty of guts ! Never be a lamping dog which doesn't bother me

Go for a fell hound or trail hound for a lamping dog! Much leaner than a normal foxhound. When you list the things a hound brings to lurcher lines it amazes me that they are not a popular cross but I must admit I wouldn't want too many knobs getting into hound crosses lol
I'm very lucky as I can keep a few lurchers the dog im taking about will never see the lamp he has no need but u agree he brings a lot to the table lurcher wise he feets are great ! Stamina is unreal literally doesn't stop all day ! He's a nice dog to have around not everyone cup of tea but he's a massive part of my hunting and couldn't be with out the big b*****d now

Yes pal I have a fell hound lurcher and I have seen the hound crosses on the lamp in short the hound cross brings amazing stamina, great drive and feet they are solid dogs built to work the British countryside and another thing the fell hounds are controlled by voice so they can't be too daft either!

I suppose that is everything a gundog could bring but in a running frame. What about voice though?

who'd give a f**k if a dog did yap a bit as long as it does it job,myself i wouldn't give a dam if a dog only had 3 legs as long as it done what i wanted, so stop picking stupid faults and fcuk off and do some knitting,

Keep it civil please....

Was going to say something along those lines earlier, but a tad less politely lol.

Anyway, like I've said previously, I think jeemes gives some valid, practical and sensible thoughts/advice/knowledge.

And to TALKCHEAP, knowledge is not always, or only gained in the field with 20 - 30 + years of experience, or after owning and working 6, 7 or 8 dogs. And despite what you think you know of me, I do NOT consider myself an authority on training lurchers, BUT, I don't make the mistakes that I used to, unlike more than a few lurcher owners that I know, who are on their 3rd, 4th or 5th lurcher, and still making the same 'schoolboy' errors that they were making 30 + years ago. Some people will just never learn.

Ive been saying that exact same thing for the last 10 years shark ?

Keep it civil please....

Ive been saying that exact same thing for the last 10 years shark

Shut up you know fukc all baldie ..........

Keep it civil please....

Ive been saying that exact same thing for the last 10 years shark

Shut up you know fukc all baldie ..........

That's rich coming from a 4 foot dwarf who should of started shaving his thinning locks back in 1990 when he got his bus pass ?

Lol,I'm over five foot thank you and I have a terrific head of hair ... Almost akin to a lions mane unlike yours which is more like a baboons arse ... Now dance off stiletto boy ........

Lol,I'm over five foot thank you and I have a terrific head of hair ... Almost akin to a lions mane unlike yours which is more like a baboons arse ... Now dance off stiletto boy ........

Hahaha I want to borrow your mirror. I would be like a 7 foot tall version of Brad Pitt in it ?

Plenty of lads wouldn't keep a lurcher that yapped, myself included.

I might if it had more than 3 legs.

• Like 1

Ahhh the summers coming to its end once again ,mostly we gearing up for another season lets see what the winter brings the only true sence of the word ,so if yas got a three legged yapped that kills big bags carry on. Has normal steady always habits are usually formed some borne ,but hey who gives a feck longs the habits can be put up with be those lucky ta find out what good habits there young saplings are gonna posses happy hunting fellas good luck fa season lol pisser this thread atb bunnys.

Hahaha I want to borrow your mirror. I would be like a 7 foot tall version of Brad Pitt in it

More like his brother cess lol ........

• Like 1

iv been waiting for this reaction for a while , thanks, maybe now it will help me with something iv been trying to do , and thats wasting my life sat in front of a computer , so once again thanks , last time it happened i was off for 3 year

• Like 1

Hahaha I want to borrow your mirror. I would be like a 7 foot tall version of Brad Pitt in it
More like his brother cess lol ........

Lmao ?

none have made a peep mate would never of bred out of the origional if it yapped your right maybe a gundog could bring that to the table but there isn't a gundog in the world that could keep with a fell hound at work and I'm not knocking gun dogs they have good qualities pal. I think gundogs could offer a bit of refinement to some lurchers with manners and solid retrieval....but there not really proven on all game.

• Like 1