Why Aren't Gundog Lurchers Popular?

Mik, nose ,retrieve ,soft mouth good feet and good coat also quite biddable.

Mik, nose ,retrieve ,soft mouth good feet and good coat also quite biddable.

And endurance.
Yes and endurance, the list is endless.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I genuinely don't know why gundog lurchers aren't more popular. I like collie crosses, but as lurcher work goes ( in the true sense of the word) I would think gundog breeds would be up there along si

Socks wants a gundog X whippet ?

Yes pal I read it tried to get my uncle to write in but hes not really an extrovert to be honest! But all the things Hancock said ring true to be fair this cross has been around and a few people use i

Posted Images

Like I say you seem to have already made your mind up ...I have a dh/sal/grey/bull that will crash through cover,hunts up well ,has a decent nose ,is steady as a rock ,retrieves from water In fact I would go as far as to say he is stronger a swimmer than most gun dogs I have seen and I have been around gun dogs all my life and he will be out on the mud with me on the 1st when the wildfowling season starts he will do anything a spaniel or lab cross will do in the water but there are things he will do that no gun dog cross will do and that's the difference ....imo it's giving your lurcher the opertunity to do different things and different situations luckily I can give my dogs the opportunitys as I do all aspects of of country pursuits I also have a terrier that is as good a digging dog as I've owned but he is also used for shooting .

Good luck with your quest to try a gun dog running dog cross and I still stand by there is nothing a lab or spaniel can bring to the mix for me anyway

Edited by MIK
  • Like 1

That's a fair enough post milk ,but I see like this I have also witnessed terrier type mixes do the said above but and here's the thing they are usually few and far between ,I suppose it's common sence if one does a fair bit round water abit of gundog lab spaniel etc wouldn't go amiss chancing the odds they'll like the water job. Thing his when one begets a lurcher that loves the water they thrive on it the malli xs pup I have here his showing a good inclination for water and I shall harness this I the hope he becomes a lover of water etc like your bull mix.we has a youngster a old fella used to lab xes they we not runners but pretty much opportunity hunters but very hard on fox back then he had a pair dog and bitch great has expected round water moorhens cutest ducks etc were all on the menu I suppose if one only needs a helper they'll be handy enough and easy ta keep which his always a plus in my book keeping animals that cost more ta keep than thyself ain't fa me.unless they can earn it atb bunnys.

• Like 1

Article about it in C/W last week by C.Dave Hancock

Yes pal I read it tried to get my uncle to write in but hes not really an extrovert to be honest! But all the things Hancock said ring true to be fair this cross has been around and a few people use it, my uncle started a line about 20 years ago.

millie_zpsaax1ielo.jpg

not bad for a 1/2 fell hound 1/2 greyhound ehhh

Did you keep the line going ??

What did the orginal first crosses go to next ??

thats where it gets tricky

Article about it in C/W last week by C.Dave Hancock

Yes pal I read it tried to get my uncle to write in but hes not really an extrovert to be honest! But all the things Hancock said ring true to be fair this cross has been around and a few people use it, my uncle started a line about 20 years ago.

millie_zpsaax1ielo.jpg

not bad for a 1/2 fell hound 1/2 greyhound ehhh

Did you keep the line going ??

What did the orginal first crosses go to next ??

thats where it gets tricky
. If I was going down the line I would take 2 f1s same hound different grey sires but related ,then pair the best from each Union selecting out has one goes along ,this his where one needs a few who would be willing ta try one keeping just the hound the blood clean hound xs ta hound xs then over generations one will find em out . Atb bunnys.
  • Like 1

If you want a daytime hunting lurcher don't believe for one moment your bedlington....border collie...., bull , saluki x lurcher, would touch a gundog lurcher......fact,,,,,,if daytime hunting is your thing then go for it.

I think I'm very lucky to own my little gundog lurcher,,,,,she knocks the socks off all the other lurcher types I've worked in the daytime, not only that her bloody working intelligence/ field craft is joy to watch....my collie lurchers couldn't touch her......( maybe I just got lucky,,,,but I doubt it)

I've worked pure collies, collie lurchers, lurcher x lurchers, whippets...all got there ups and downs, but for daytime hunting I wouldn't swap mine for anything and from now on I will only work this type.

One thing I will say if you are lucky enough to be surrounded by loads of game then maybe get what you fancy, but if things are thin on the ground and you need a dog that grafts hard to find game then consider a gundog lurcher.

Yet people are happy buying bedlington crosses.......amazing.

Edited by wuyang
  • Like 4

If you want a daytime hunting lurcher don't believe for one moment your bedlington....border collie...., bull , saluki x lurcher, would touch a gundog lurcher......fact,,,,,,if daytime hunting is your thing then go for it.

I think I'm very lucky to own my little gundog lurcher,,,,,she knocks the socks off all the other lurcher types I've worked in the daytime, not only that her bloody working intelligence/ field craft is joy to watch....my collie lurchers couldn't touch her......( maybe I just got lucky,,,,but I doubt it)

I've worked pure collies, collie lurchers, lurcher x lurchers, whippets...all got there ups and downs, but for daytime hunting I wouldn't swap mine for anything and from now on I will only work this type.

One thing I will say if you are lucky enough to be surrounded by loads of game then maybe get what you fancy, but if things are thin on the ground and you need a dog that grafts hard to find game then consider a gundog lurcher.

I would use one ferreting and lamping rabbits and a bit of daytime mooching about. What Gundog is in your lurcher and is she suitable for lamping.

Regardless of cross and how they do at this and that I have always found the test of a daytime hunting lurcher to be on a cold wet windy miserable day on open land that doesn't hold much game. Then a dog has to keep hunting and there's nowhere to hide, many just give up after a few hours or start getting closer and closer to you. The cleverer ones try to look busy by marking sets and walls begging you to produce a ferret lol.

• Like 4

I would use one ferreting and lamping rabbits and a bit of daytime mooching about. What Gundog is in your lurcher and is she suitable for lamping.

You could find a faster lurcher for lamping than mine, she would lamp and catch, but you would be able to get a better out n out lamper I believe.

She would be an excellent ferreting dog, you would be able to get a lurcher that could catch a bit better in a short sprint.

She excels at hunting daytime, it depends what you want out of your dog, to me it's not just about catching loads any more. I get my enjoyment from watching a skilled dog do some daytime hunting.......also love, love,love bushing, but my bushing bitch is nearly thirteen although she still works.

Most lurchers will do what you have mentioned if you put the time in, the addition of a type of gundog adds more to daytime hunting work....and in my case makes the difference between of having a frustrating walk like I would with one of my lurchers to a more interesting walk with my gundog lurcher.

• Like 5

Ive known a few lads have the Alsation cross,and they have all sang there praises but not one of them had a second one. Ive only been out with one. We were in Scotland and out ferreting all day,it was a useful and reliable marker,but at night I noticed he tripped up quite a lot on the turns,and he finished up letting out a bark at a fox I had taken time to call in,which was a bit annoying because he was a mature dog. You can tell it was a while back because we were legally hunting fox with dogs.

in the 70s early 80s i had a alsation x for 8 or 9 years,not once did i come a cross another alsation x greyhound,thats why i know your full of shit, and how the fcuk does a dog keep tripping up,

If you havnt seen one,then they definitly didnt exist. You never seen a a dog slip on the turns? No dont answer that. You are an idiot who tries to win arguments by being abusive and aggressive.

you said they were common in the 70s 80s once again your wrong, iv seen many a dog slip, you said tripped quite a lot, big difference,most things you say you change you mind on the next post,like what you were saying about pups ,how many times did you change your mind on that,theres a few that think your right , there hundreds that know your full of shit

Dont worry about it mate,its just a bit of fun. You are right,I should of said slipped when I said tripped. btw Ive changed my mind about Alsation crosses,I think they are very good dogs. Bird off this site has a good one.

Have you seen Buck run then jeemes?

No but somehow I feel I know all about him,or at least his height and weight!!

we know where you get your information from , that you to a T,

I would take a punt at a gwp X grey !

seen a couple and they weren't that good. Not as quick as the collie lurchers on the day, and not as brave... Good hunters though in woodland and fellside
I'd have to see the parents working first like ! This foxhound X bull grey is suiting my needs at the moment great hunter and plenty of guts ! Never be a lamping dog which doesn't bother me

Go for a fell hound or trail hound for a lamping dog! Much leaner than a normal foxhound. When you list the things a hound brings to lurcher lines it amazes me that they are not a popular cross but I must admit I wouldn't want too many knobs getting into hound crosses lol
I'm very lucky as I can keep a few lurchers the dog im taking about will never see the lamp he has no need but u agree he brings a lot to the table lurcher wise he feets are great ! Stamina is unreal literally doesn't stop all day ! He's a nice dog to have around not everyone cup of tea but he's a massive part of my hunting and couldn't be with out the big b*****d now

Yes pal I have a fell hound lurcher and I have seen the hound crosses on the lamp in short the hound cross brings amazing stamina, great drive and feet they are solid dogs built to work the British countryside and another thing the fell hounds are controlled by voice so they can't be too daft either!

I suppose that is everything a gundog could bring but in a running frame. What about voice though?

who'd give a f**k if a dog did yap a bit as long as it does it job,myself i wouldn't give a dam if a dog only had 3 legs as long as it done what i wanted, so stop picking stupid faults and fcuk off and do some knitting,

seen a couple and they weren't that good. Not as quick as the collie lurchers on the day, and not as brave... Good hunters though in woodland and fellside
I'd have to see the parents working first like ! This foxhound X bull grey is suiting my needs at the moment great hunter and plenty of guts ! Never be a lamping dog which doesn't bother me

Go for a fell hound or trail hound for a lamping dog! Much leaner than a normal foxhound. When you list the things a hound brings to lurcher lines it amazes me that they are not a popular cross but I must admit I wouldn't want too many knobs getting into hound crosses lol
I'm very lucky as I can keep a few lurchers the dog im taking about will never see the lamp he has no need but u agree he brings a lot to the table lurcher wise he feets are great ! Stamina is unreal literally doesn't stop all day ! He's a nice dog to have around not everyone cup of tea but he's a massive part of my hunting and couldn't be with out the big b*****d now

Yes pal I have a fell hound lurcher and I have seen the hound crosses on the lamp in short the hound cross brings amazing stamina, great drive and feet they are solid dogs built to work the British countryside and another thing the fell hounds are controlled by voice so they can't be too daft either!

I suppose that is everything a gundog could bring but in a running frame. What about voice though?

who'd give a f**k if a dog did yap a bit as long as it does it job,myself i wouldn't give a dam if a dog only had 3 legs as long as it done what i wanted, so stop picking stupid faults and fcuk off and do some knitting,

Keep it civil please....

Plenty of lads wouldn't keep a lurcher that yapped, myself included.

• Like 1