Why Aren't Gundog Lurchers Popular?

If I wanted a mooching type that don't listen and hunts up I'd get a beardy x lol

try taking them out more than once a fortnight you might be surprised
i thought dogs were only meant to go out once a fortnight...aw shit been doing it wrong.

I thought you only had to take them out once a month. Now I feel silly ?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I genuinely don't know why gundog lurchers aren't more popular. I like collie crosses, but as lurcher work goes ( in the true sense of the word) I would think gundog breeds would be up there along si

Socks wants a gundog X whippet ?

Yes pal I read it tried to get my uncle to write in but hes not really an extrovert to be honest! But all the things Hancock said ring true to be fair this cross has been around and a few people use i

Posted Images

Like as already been said,if it was a good idea they would naturally catch on,but like the Alsation cross that was tried and faded in the 70/80s there will always be a few that want to persevere.

Leaving longdogs aside I think the tried and tested are the Collie in Border or Beardie flavour and the various terrier crosses ie Wheaton,Bull,Beddy,Irish, make the best Lurchers. The rest are a joke.

theres was never a lot of alsation xs even in the 70s they was few and far between.get your best dog and run it against birds joke , over 2 or 3 days to take away luck, and take one of your mates with you that way yowl look a bigger cnt than you already are

• Like 1

Like as already been said,if it was a good idea they would naturally catch on,but like the Alsation cross that was tried and faded in the 70/80s there will always be a few that want to persevere.

Leaving longdogs aside I think the tried and tested are the Collie in Border or Beardie flavour and the various terrier crosses ie Wheaton,Bull,Beddy,Irish, make the best Lurchers. The rest are a joke.

theres was never a lot of alsation xs even in the 70s they was few and far between.get your best dog and run it against birds joke , over 2 or 3 days to take away luck, and take one of your mates with you that way yowl look a bigger cnt than you already are

Kin el, you seem an awfully aggressive type of person at times! Lol. But you are right, alsation x's were never a common type

I genuinely don't know why gundog lurchers aren't more popular.

I like collie crosses, but as lurcher work goes ( in the true sense of the word) I would think gundog breeds would be up there along side them.

Or perhaps I've got a different idea of what constitutes lurcher work.

To the guy that says a lurcher doesn't need a great nose... give your head a shake, nose is an essential in a lurcher and the better the nose the better the dog.

Soft mouth?, I've seen pointers, weimaraners, Labradors and even a springer spaniel knack foxes and if we want to split hairs, is killing foxes actually the job of a genuine lurcher.

Retrieving?, well I'll put my balls on the table and say this, the majority of dogs I've seen in the last forty years have been non, or poor retrievers unless they had a strong base line of a breed likely to retieve, in their make up and even dogs that were classed as retrievers spitting their prey out when they came back into sight of there owner or at best dropping it short.

Brains?, aside from the herding breeds many of the gundog breeds (not all) must rank as next in line.

Guide dogs, bomb detection, search and rescue, the list is endless and the day I see other breeds which are classed as essential in the make up of a lurcher performing the same tasks in any great number and not one offs, I'll concede the point.

Water work?, no, you don't usually catch rabbits on water, although I have caught them in flooded saturated places where certain slighter thin skinned dogs might not be so keen to go.

But me anyway, I class water work as part of lurcher work and all the dogs I have owned have hunted waterfowl with the same enthusiasm as other quarry and all have readily retrieved off water.

I guess that's the beauty of lurcher work, we all see thing differently but essentially we are all the same.

Belting post :thumbs:.

And dare I say it, but before certain authors started writing about 'traditional' collie x's etc' that gundog, or even mongrel with a bit of gundog in, would've breen pretty much as common as collie x etc

I've seen real handy lurchers bred out of farm curs. Mostly collie, but with accidental or other wise, lab, GSD. Call them a mongrel if you will, but most have a real primitive streak that has much to add to a working lurcher

• Like 2

If I wanted a mooching type that don't listen and hunts up I'd get a beardy x lol

try taking them out more than once a fortnight you might be surprised
i thought dogs were only meant to go out once a fortnight...aw shit been doing it wrong.

I thought you only had to take them out once a month. Now I feel silly

Picture how i feel i thought i was only to bring them out in the summer.

I genuinely don't know why gundog lurchers aren't more popular.

I like collie crosses, but as lurcher work goes ( in the true sense of the word) I would think gundog breeds would be up there along side them.

Or perhaps I've got a different idea of what constitutes lurcher work.

To the guy that says a lurcher doesn't need a great nose... give your head a shake, nose is an essential in a lurcher and the better the nose the better the dog.

Soft mouth?, I've seen pointers, weimaraners, Labradors and even a springer spaniel knack foxes and if we want to split hairs, is killing foxes actually the job of a genuine lurcher.

Retrieving?, well I'll put my balls on the table and say this, the majority of dogs I've seen in the last forty years have been non, or poor retrievers unless they had a strong base line of a breed likely to retieve, in their make up and even dogs that were classed as retrievers spitting their prey out when they came back into sight of there owner or at best dropping it short.

Brains?, aside from the herding breeds many of the gundog breeds (not all) must rank as next in line.

Guide dogs, bomb detection, search and rescue, the list is endless and the day I see other breeds which are classed as essential in the make up of a lurcher performing the same tasks in any great number and not one offs, I'll concede the point.

Water work?, no, you don't usually catch rabbits on water, although I have caught them in flooded saturated places where certain slighter thin skinned dogs might not be so keen to go.

But me anyway, I class water work as part of lurcher work and all the dogs I have owned have hunted waterfowl with the same enthusiasm as other quarry and all have readily retrieved off water.

I guess that's the beauty of lurcher work, we all see thing differently but essentially we are all the same.[/qu

Absolute drivel

IT all depends how's yas see and want the animal to be capable of ,shooting game feather around water etc that bit of spaniel or retriever labs etc got a be a plus . They don't have the same manic nature has some collie types more laid back and natural,collie spaniel seen them good xs with hound and very hardy types can be gotten it could be this day and age the evolution of hunters require a different type of animal than yesteryear ,and need sixty runs plus or even sheer bone hard determination and tenacity in others then there's the seven minute coursing types all different thean the real lurcher of yesteryear ,and of course there's those that require explosive speed for bunny bolsters, I believe the lurcherman of old his a dying breed in itself and there's few that need or require the skills and hunting abilities of the moochers dogs of old.atb bunnys.

• Like 1

Only reason I haven't got another Alsation lurcher ,is I don't think I would get same as my last one and I think I would be comparing it to her to much and end up disappointed and ruining her. Otherwise I would of.
  • Like 2

I thnk a good gun dog cross would be a good animal, but how easy would it be to get a good one, nobody is breeding them, and we have folk breeding tested lurcher to lurcher whatever type you may be after, so much easier and safer to go that route. And even if it was a good one, would it rival the other types at anything tbere bred for other than mooching. As a lad i knew an ole fellamthat kept flat coated crosses, and they were crackers but were line bred and the man knew them and clicked with them, but now i think back i dont know if they would rival a good collie cross doing same job

Feck me when did you start adding intelligent input in.lol

• Like 2

I thnk a good gun dog cross would be a good animal, but how easy would it be to get a good one, nobody is breeding them, and we have folk breeding tested lurcher to lurcher whatever type you may be after, so much easier and safer to go that route. And even if it was a good one, would it rival the other types at anything tbere bred for other than mooching. As a lad i knew an ole fellamthat kept flat coated crosses, and they were crackers but were line bred and the man knew them and clicked with them, but now i think back i dont know if they would rival a good collie cross doing same job

Feck me when did you start adding intelligent input in.lol

Lol I think katchum has a fairly deeply hidden amount of knowledge to be fair. He just likes getting people to bite! Lol. As an example, we now know that he is indeed a whippet lover, and that he sees no need for a 1st x bull/grey for rhfd, pre ban, when sensibly bred lurchers will do it all. Ok, I'll stop digging now :ninja: lol :thumbs:

• Like 2

Kin el, you seem an awfully aggressive type of person at times! Lol. But you are right, alsation x's were never a common type

im not aggressive at all ,i don't like people who give advice when they don't know what there talking about, there is one thing iv learnt from him, i used to think he was an ass hole but he's not he's an arse hole, and il thank him for that.

im not aggressive at all ,i don't like people who give advice when they don't know what there talking about, there is one thing iv learnt from him, i used to think he was an ass hole but he's not he's an arse hole, and il thank him for that.

Ah righto. Well personally I think jeemes talks a lot more sense than the majority of people on this site regarding running dogs. I don't necessarily agree with everything he has to say, but he does make some very valid, sensible and interesting points. Anyway, take it easy fella, it's far too warm to get hot and bothered over an internet site :thumbs:

• Like 2