Bunny Population Up?

Is it just me or does it seeem like there are a lot more rabbits about this year?

I see more running around in the day and im seeing more road kill than normal.

I go shooting around South wales and work in Worcester and there everywhere

Whats it like where you are?

Its because of the mild winters the rabbits are breeding earlier and later resulting in more litters

I'm not sure low number due to mild winters apply to my permissions? The rabbit population was remarkably low until mid July. I went to a permission last week which is only 2 acres and counted 34 rabbits, so added to the amount in the burrow numbers must be rather high.

There seems to be plenty of rabbits in my part of the world and interestingly mostly during the day including early morning. I am seeing very few at night, perhaps foxes of which there are very many. In our village alone my pal took the rifle for a wonder last week and shot four in one night. He said that there were plenty that were out of range so perhaps we have a fox issue over here not a rabbit problem however talking to a guy in the gun shop on Saturday who drives a combine harvester for an agency said he had been asked by three farmers to come back and shoot the rabbits as they were giving problems but I think that was a few miles away from the coast.

Phil

• Like 1

Best year for a while round me, been very lean locally for a few years, but lots of young healthy rabbits around at the mo and plenty out during the day also

should have mentioned were that is really, I,m in the Avon and Somerset catchment,

Rabbit population seems a bit down on my perms here in North Yorkshire. Hardly any hares about at mo either - last year I was trpiping over them! (I don't shoot hares I must add)

I'm on the northyorkshie coast and i recon the rabbit numbers are well down, i don't mind it so much though cos im

putting it down to the buzzard population!!

my mate was on for one a couple of months back, i was watching through my scope and one flew down and nicked it before he had chance to shoot it!! pmsl :laugh:

as for hares iv only seen one pair in ages!!

atb si

• Like 1

Rabbit population seems a bit down on my perms here in North Yorkshire. Hardly any hares about at mo either - last year I was trpiping over them! (I don't shoot hares I must add)

I'm on the northyorkshie coast and i recon the rabbit numbers are well down, i don't mind it so much though cos im

my mate was on for one a couple of months back, i was watching through my scope and one flew down and nicked it before he had chance to shoot it!! pmsl :laugh:

atb si

Same here there's lots of kites and buzzards on the land I shoot I could stand and watch them all day.

Theres a few half grown hares knocking about but after talking to 2 farmers yesterday both said there has been a big drop in hares due to liver fluke.

I'm sure the rabbits will bounce back some years have been like this.

• Like 1

atb si

Same here there's lots of kites and buzzards on the land I shoot I could stand and watch them all day.

Theres a few half grown hares knocking about but after talking to 2 farmers yesterday both said there has been a big drop in hares due to liver fluke.

I'm sure the rabbits will bounce back some years have been like this.

From the bit of research I've read about liver fluke, it is becoming more prevalent due to the increase in warmer/wetter conditions. So it's looking like it'll only get a little worse, as the seasons are generally getting milder and wetter.