Seen picture of these other day, now I've never kept pigeons before ,but had chickens,quail,zebra finches,canaries an parrots etc just wondered about their care an needs, Google images show them being kept in small cramped cages or pigeon lofts,

I just wondered about an aviary as we have sparrow Hawks and peregrines here, so don't know about letting them flying around as read they are not good fliers.

So appreciate any info from those that keep or have kept them,and if you gave them up was there any reasons why(bad points)

I used to keep them free flying and they nested in a dovecote but aren't great at flying so were picked off. They do best in a large secure aviary with at least 2 nest boxes per pair and do become very tame.Aslong as they can stretch there wings and have short flights within an aviary they do well.

If you wanted fantails that can free fly your best bet would be garden fantails that have smaller less upright tails and a better at flying.

• 2 weeks later...