Photon With Qr Mounts

Hello folks, been on here for a long time, but lost my account details, so re-registered.

I've almost convinced myself to buy a Photon to be fitted on my Tikka M595 (with a T8) as I can't really justify another NV specific rifle. I'm intending to use Leopold QR Mounts, which I'm already using with my day scope, and results on repeat POI is great - within 30mm @ 100m.

Having read all the horror stories regarding zeroing the Photon, and having to use shims, I'm having second thoughts and wonder if anyone could advise on whether they've used QR Mounts with a Photon? I really don't fancy shimming the rear scope as it sounds a bit of a lash up.

If I was super rich, I'd get a Drone pro, but I simply can't justify the casing or a dedicated NV rifle.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Ps; if above set up would work with QR's, any idea of height? Low, medium or high?

Lamp_Shy a couple of options available.

Having tried a lot of digital night vision, the photons are a good little dedicated scope great for the money, another way of resolving POI and the need to shim is to fire a shot on a target then undo the holding screws on the front of the unit and move the front lens housing around until the cross hairs are on the bullet entry hole, then retighten this prevents any shimming and your cross hairs should be perfectly central in your eye display. A lot of people add doublers to the photons, but it severely reduces field of view, and can make it difficult to get on target, there better for longer range shooting with the aid of a spotter when doing this.

If I had to choose a buy it once digital night vision setup to fit all my rifles, it would have to be the Ward 700/800 in combination with a Starlight Dragonfly for longer range shots, you can mag right upto to 16x or 24x magnification with the dragonfly and take stupid range shots to 300-400yards at these mags. Then you can pop the ward on an air rifle, rimfire, centre fire as needed.

Personally the Ward700 is better than a sniper cam, its shorter, lighter, lasts longer, easier to mount and your looking at an 800px resolution eye display not the back screen of an MPR (Angel Eye Recorder) like the sniper cam. But everyone to there own.

Saying this a photon at £400 is much cheaper than this setup at around £800.

Lamp_Shy a couple of options available.

Having tried a lot of digital night vision, the photons are a good little dedicated scope great for the money, another way of resolving POI and the need to shim is to fire a shot on a target then undo the holding screws on the front of the unit and move the front lens housing around until the cross hairs are on the bullet entry hole, then retighten this prevents any shimming and your cross hairs should be perfectly central in your eye display. A lot of people add doublers to the photons, but it severely reduces field of view, and can make it difficult to get on target, there better for longer range shooting with the aid of a spotter when doing this.

If I had to choose a buy it once digital night vision setup to fit all my rifles, it would have to be the Ward 700/800 in combination with a Starlight Dragonfly for longer range shots, you can mag right upto to 16x or 24x magnification with the dragonfly and take stupid range shots to 300-400yards at these mags. Then you can pop the ward on an air rifle, rimfire, centre fire as needed.

Personally the Ward700 is better than a sniper cam, its shorter, lighter, lasts longer, easier to mount and your looking at an 800px resolution eye display not the back screen of an MPR (Angel Eye Recorder) like the sniper cam. But everyone to there own.

Saying this a photon at £400 is much cheaper than this setup at around £800.

Thanks Ian,

Supplemantary question for you regarding the Ward 700;

I've avoided looking at NV "bolt ons" as the advice always seems to be to use a scope with parallax adjustment, which a lot of the top end scopes don't have - mines include!

Does the Ward unit require this? Also I take it the IR unit needs to be bolted on somewhere too as a separate unit?

Cheers

Oh and my old user name on here was Fireblade_rrw ?. But I can't use it as the email I had is long gone!

Well, I'm ordering a Photon 6.5 and a new model NM800 IR Illuminator kit, later this week. I'm also going with Leupold QR Mounts, which I've found to be excellent so far.

The Ward unit looks very good, however I'd need to buy another parallax adjustable scope, as my Docter doesn't have this function. Also, as I'm prone to breaking off flip up covers, I doubt the Ward unit would last too long with me, plus it's around double the price!

Only worry I still have is running out of adjustment, and to be honest, I'd hate to have to loosen the front of the unit to adjust the cross hairs (thanks Ian, but it sounds very invasive?).

I think I'd also like to try a doubler, therefore if anyone has advice on best one, I'd be grateful.

ATB.

Well I've ran into problem no 1....

The 30mm mounting area between the inside of the rings is 5/8" smaller than the available space on the Photon, therefore my grand idea of using Leupold QR has hit the stops!

20f2o9v.jpg

Unless these extended rings would work;

http://www.uttings.co.uk/p103657-leupold-quick-release-extension-rings/#.V78aGOjTW2d

The distance between the rings is 5/8" too short, however,the extended rings can be used to lengthen or shorten by 5/8". Tight but as one end of the Photon is rubber, it may just be ok....?

Failing the extension rings, may have to look at Optilock mounts, that grip on the dovetail, and can therefore be moved to suit (I hope)!

Unless anyone has another idea? Help!!

Edited by Lamp_Shy

Ok so final results...

Pictaninny rail & Yukon Sw30 one piece mount/rings:

2itfvrd.jpg

2a8g6ye.jpg

Total cost was £49 for the Picatinny rail, £60 for the Photon mount.

So how easy was it to zero?

Having read about horror stories, I was dreading what might unfold! However, pleasantly surprised at how easy it was!

Fitting the rail & scope took around an hour, then I boresighted the scope in my garden at 25M, which only took 10 minutes.

Out to my shoot to fine tune the scope @ 100M, and this was the results:

23sugrr.jpg

3 rounds to zero the scope, which is pretty good I'd say. Total time around an hour and a half.

Slightly high @ 100M, but I like it that way. The NV capability is superb with the NM800 illuminator!

Tons of adjustment left, and I think the key with the Photon is using the correct mounts.

Also, anyone thinking of buying this equipment, look no further than the Nightmaster guys. If you buy a Photon the NM800 kit (with adjustable mount) is half price. Give Tony a call and you'll get first class advice & service.

Now just waiting on QRW rings for the Picatinny rail, to get my day scope mounted & zeroed.

Hope this helps someone in the future...

Oh and anyone looking for Leupold QR mounts for a Tikka, give me a shout, as they'll be going on fleabay very soon.

ATB.

Edited by Lamp_Shy