Wheat Or Oats ?

I'll presume your getting either for free or else you'd be buying a good poultry grain. If I was getting them for free I'd take both and add cracked maize and barley to make a good mix.

I don't feed a pellet but have no problem with them but do feed a good mix with some soaked dogfood mixed in.

• Like 1

I'll presume your getting either for free or else you'd be buying a good poultry grain. If I was getting them for free I'd take both and add cracked maize and barley to make a good mix.

I don't feed a pellet but have no problem with them but do feed a good mix with some soaked dogfood mixed in.

I have made up a 50/50 mix , they also get soaked dog meal twice a week (they love it) and theyre on grass every day , wormed regular .,theyre looking well

I have made up a 50/50 mix , they also get soaked dog meal twice a week (they love it) and theyre on grass every day , wormed regular .,theyre looking well

​First ive heard of soaked dog food. what does that bring? any specific brand or type?

• Like 1

Im weaning the youngstock off the growers and have access to wheat or crushed oats, what do you guys reckon is better ?

I Agree with whats been said, ive never just fed purely wheat. I always feed either pellets to older birds but for growing youngsters mixed grains and plenty of veg

​First ive heard of soaked dog food. what does that bring? any specific brand or type?

I find my big game birds do really well on it , they grow on better , fill out well and condition well, after a few weeks you can really see a difference , the feather quality is great, you don't need an expensive brand , all these dry foods are made up of wheat / cereal products anyway , with added vitamins and oils .

• Like 1

I prefer using cat food over dog food it is higher in protein and more importantly has less salt added... Oats are a great addition to their diet but imo benefit from either being soak or sprouted before being offered....

• Like 1

Dog nuts are really good when birds are in the moult,especially if weather is cold it really helps them get through the few weeks,oats imo are of no real benefit unless just to fill up your container.Whole wheat,kibble maize,grower pellets and a coating of pigeon oil and there happy out along with a handful of soaked dog nuts every other day and whatever veg you can get your hands on,i usually get a few packs of frozen peas in aldi or lidl,cheap and easy kept.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wouldnt feed soaked dog food all year round..protein is too high..only feed a bit of it in molt.. I feed whole wheat,small bit of layers pellets,whole barley and pigeon all around mix... soaked oats once or twice a week

Curdog, yep agree with the pigeon conditioner and some folk swear on the soaked oats.

But, gamefowl need a constant source of protein IMO and not just at certain times of the year.

Free range fowl probably get a lot more protein than you'd think by eating invertebrates and even mice etc. but fowl kept in pens or strings need a protein supplement.

When I used to have a great supply of free minced beef I used to give each bird a small ball of mince most days and when they could smell it coming they'd nearly take fingers and all. Gamefowl love meat.

There is however a train of thought on feeding too much protein early in a game cocks life as it can lead to trouble later in life, but that's open to debate.

Curdog, yep agree with the pigeon conditioner and some folk swear on the soaked oats.

But, gamefowl need a constant source of protein IMO and not just at certain times of the year.

Free range fowl probably get a lot more protein than you'd think by eating invertebrates and even mice etc. but fowl kept in pens or strings need a protein supplement.

When I used to have a great supply of free minced beef I used to give each bird a small ball of mince most days and when they could smell it coming they'd nearly take fingers and all. Gamefowl love meat.

There is however a train of thought on feeding too much protein early in a game cocks life as it can lead to trouble later in life, but that's open to debate.

I try to get a balance of about 16% protein.. Pigeon conditioner and alround mix are two different things neil...conditioner is small oily seeds..very rich and alround mix is a mixture of grains and beans... I totally agree with you on free ranged birds picking all sorts..its the best way to rear birds imo but not the easist.. I know a few lads feeding rabbit feed in a mix aswell for the alfalfa..
  • Like 1