Any Dog Psychologists On Here? Help...

Looking for a reason for my dogs recent behaviour.

When out training here, she will NOT release the dummy / ball whatever.

Put her into her kennel, and she comes over and hands me the ball, and paws at me to let her have it - time and time again.

Take her 2" outwith her run, and she's back to holding it again, with no inclination to release whatsoever!

Another 'trait' she has developed is barking when returned to her run.

Any pointers ?

Oh, and why does she go deaf when more than 3 feet away? :laugh:

She is now 2,1/2 and her siblings are doing well with their respective owners. (winning tests / trials) This is my 1st dog and I feel I have 'failed' her.

Thanks.

Back to the hot floor method mate, you might need help from ya mrs for this one ;)

Lay wire mesh (must be of a conductive material) on the floor a patio is usually best. Attach crocodile clips to it and then to the mains, for added effect you can throw a couple of buckets of water on there too.

Now throw the ball onto the mesh and stand at its edge. When the dog returns and refuses to release, give the mrs the OK and zap the cnut.

You're welcome mate ;)

• Like 5

Id get that dog on a long line and see how it is , line while out and out of its run , different space different state (of mind)

The dog becomes stimulated by whatever environment it's in, it's not the dog thinking it's the dog feeling how it felt last time in that space , if ya get my drift

A bit like how we can go right back to how we felt when we heard about 9/11 or John Lennon been shot , it's an emotional snap shot , we can be very very clear about our surroundings

Different space different state, throw the line on and always be positive when it's on ,the feeling of the line effects the same state in different space best of luck

Id get that dog on a long line and see how it is , line while out and out of its run , different space different state (of mind)

The dog becomes stimulated by whatever environment it's in, it's not the dog thinking it's the dog feeling how it felt last time in that space , if ya get my drift

A bit like how we can go right back to how we felt when we heard about 9/11 or John Lennon been shot , it's an emotional snap shot , we can be very very clear about our surroundings

Different space different state, throw the line on and always be positive when it's on ,the feeling of the line effects the same state in different space best of luck

Thanks Casso,

When she is on a long line she behaves 99% spot on! But still refuses to release.

You can sometimes get it but more often than not she refuses to the extent she will bury her head down and put her feet over it!

She always gets lots of praise (but no treats) when she does well, but she knows damned fine when the line comes off!

I have 2 fenced off areas for her 'training' in the garden, where she behaves until that line comes off, with the exception of the releasing issue.

I just happened to notice the release in the run caper the other day, so had a wee experiment with her and its a 100% thing in her run......95% fail outwith.

Maybe I have been too 'soft' with her, but I don't want to be too hard on her, as I will be honest and say I don't know what is considered too hard.

Thanks again.

Line becomes habit forming leave line on while out when i start venturing a pup out line is always on until i see the constraints of the line reflected in his behaviour everywhere , so she can't just f**k off and do what see wants ,

Get her carrying the dummy beside you don't be in a panic to grab it up its coming into your space with it is the clincher

, food is also good for the dog feeling at ease in your space , feck away bowl and look for behavior for everything , no such thing as a free lunch

Line becomes habit forming leave line on while out when i start venturing a pup out line is always on until i see the constraints of the line reflected in his behaviour everywhere , so she can't just f**k off and do what see wants ,

Get her carrying the dummy beside you don't be in a panic to grab it up its coming into your space with it is the clincher

, food is also good for the dog feeling at ease in your space , feck away bowl and look for behavior for everything , no such thing as a free lunch

Thanks again Casso,

I'll try getting her more 'at ease' with me.

She is sly. You can see her watching every move from the corner of her eyes.....but the ears switch off

Cheers.

Go completely back to basics- start again to establish the respect you require- use of doors/gates etc with you going first and dog follows to establish that respect.

Recall from short distance untill you get perfection, small steps building upwards until you achieve your goal, unfortunately you shouldn't be in this position if you had of got it right first time, but it's not too late, patience required !

A good tip is putting slight pressure on foot of dog ( aversion therapy) to achieve release with a suitable command at same time, consistent commands unti dog understands the command

Go completely back to basics- start again to establish the respect you require- use of doors/gates etc with you going first and dog follows to establish that respect.

Recall from short distance untill you get perfection, small steps building upwards until you achieve your goal, unfortunately you shouldn't be in this position if you had of got it right first time, but it's not too late, patience required !

A good tip is putting slight pressure on foot of dog ( aversion therapy) to achieve release with a suitable command at same time, consistent commands unti dog understands the command

Thanks,

I have been spending a bit more time with her these last few weeks to try and build a bit more of 'a bond'

Like I say, not far from being spot on when on the lead / long line (apart from the releasing issue)...But when the line is off..... :censored:

The fact she will pass the ball / dummy no bother when in her run got me wondering what was going on.

She will come over and hold the ball / dummy up as if to present it to me when on the lead, but as soon as I make a move to accept it, the head goes down.

I have always tried not to go straight for the dummy, and have always praised her when she does bring it back, so a bit at a loss why this has developed.

I will go back to basics with her, and see what I can do...

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

Back to the hot floor method mate, you might need help from ya mrs for this one ;)

Lay wire mesh (must be of a conductive material) on the floor a patio is usually best. Attach crocodile clips to it and then to the mains, for added effect you can throw a couple of buckets of water on there too.

Now throw the ball onto the mesh and stand at its edge. When the dog returns and refuses to release, give the mrs the OK and zap the cnut.

You're welcome mate ;)

Feck sake Mushroom you shouldn't be allowed to post, the numpties that visit here might think your serious lol!!

• Like 1

I would try throwing the ball going back in the run make the dog sit then take the ball do not do this to often for a couple of weeks. Then try outside run but I think the reason for this is your dog does not think your are the alpha dog especially when you say this is your first dog but like anything in dog training if things are going wrong do not keep repeating as this just emphasis the problem far better to leave it for a month and try again.

You're welcome mate ;)

Feck sake Mushroom you shouldn't be allowed to post, the numpties that visit here might think your serious lol!!

He's got a book at publishers atm.

You're welcome mate ;)

He's got a book at publishers atm.

id buy a copy! just for the comedy value lol who was it that said about tying a dead lamb to dogs collar for stock breaking origanally? im gonna have to try find the thread now lol

• Like 1