Timber Wolf Crossed Alsatian 1950's

Dont these wolf hybreds come under the dangerouse animals act.I remember a woman nr me having one years ago and it was took off her by the authorities.

they weren't in the breeds that were banned, but from reading about them , they have very unpredictable temps, and have attacked people few times , i wouldn't trust them , carnt see the point of using a wild animal , to create a dog when there 100s of domestic breeds to choose from, why go back in times , plus there enough probs in domestic breeds with some temps of dogs, why put something that got hell of a chance of being dodgy to begin with.Alsatians supposed to have wolf in them when the breed 1st started way back, but can't see good breeders wanting to go back to a wolf, they prob rather use a dog with good hips+ nice steady temp any day as the breed fecked up as it is , with out making it worse :yes:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think they are called Czech wolfdogs. l have one, they are the result of a deliberate crossing of Carpathian wolves to GSDs in the 1950s as someone has already said. Mine is very different from any

just if this comes out bigger

My brother's got a steady line of hybrids going. Opted for a drop of Lab blood..

Posted Images

I agree ray the alsation has wolf back many generations no need ta go back ta root stock we have mallinois and there attributes far out weigh any wolf except of course sheer size and strength.no those animals for me are better to out xes to gene pools of wolf in breeding programmes atb bunnys

• 3 weeks later...

The South African police force experimented with wolf/dog hybrids in the apartheid years. The first cross was a bit much apparently.....

i was watching a program the other day about S/A , and they were using Bel Mals x gsds for patrolling looking for poachers, it showed the dogs doing sleeve work, and they looked very good when locking on . i thought that they would have used either there own S/A breeds (ridgebacks , boerboels ) as both are very good guard dogs , and boerboels were bred just for guarding in the 1st place , the ridgeback is really a hound but will guard :yes:

• 4 weeks later...

Not much wolf in the czec ones it would seem,

from wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czechoslovakian_Wolfdog

the first generation resembled the wolf in appearance and behavior. Their upbringing was difficult; training was possible, but the results hardly matched the effort. In adulthood they were again bred with German Shepherds, decreasing the proportion of "wolf blood" to 6.25% in the fourth generation. Most individuals of the third and fourth generations were able to attend a normal course and could be placed in a service performance.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

European Wolfs used in Saarloos and Czech Wolfdog are very different to the Grey wolf in (Western North America) and the Timberwolf (Eastern North America) used in Northern Inuits and Utonigans. The North american Wolves are Canis Lupus (CL), with the timberwolf being a slightly smaller subspecies while the European wolf is an official subspecies of Canis Lupus(CL) called Canus Lupus Lupus,(CLL)

CL was typically mixed with Northern breeds such as Alaskan Malamute, Siberian Husky etc

whereas

CLL was typically mixed with German shepherds.

The behaviour of CLL is typically more anti social than CL with smaller packs and often hunting individually whereas the CL in North America hunted much more cooperatively in larger packs. This would have a difference in the behaviour you would get from both strands of wolf dog. Living in Argyll we are inundated with these breeds, at least 10 in the local town up this to 30 if you add siberians and malamutes, within a local population of 8500 people. The Northern Inuits are the least skittish of all in my experience.

i know a bloke who lives in the sticks,has a menagerie of animals,racoons,llamas,etc etc but he had last time i saw a couple of half bred timber wolves and some other almost full bred wolf ,,,,they were kept in a huge compound and very shy of strangers,would avoid contact with anyone they didnt know,with him they were spot on though,big tall animals,and only a few yards up were sheep and roe deer,always wondered how there was never an ''accident''...never saw the point in having them types,

• 2 weeks later...

We own several BSD Tervuerens, my avatar was one of them Rossi, we lost him to cancer just 8yrs old earlier this year, he was the gentlest dog we've ever owned and I'm still devastated at losing him, anyway to the point I've been approached several times by by people with Malamutes requesting the use of one of our males to produce wolflike offspring, of course we refused, the last thing we need is for our breed to be associated with any unfortunate outcome, As for the Alsation (GSD) it's heartbreaking to see the current examples, some of them look almost incapable of walking, they are so low on the back end now due to the current show standard, they used to stand 4 square and looked magnificent, sadly those days are long gone, I hope common sense brings about the slow process of restoring them to what they once were. The Belgians now are the breed of choice for most police, armed forces and rescue services.