new greyhound

Guest GARTHYWILSON

hi people just to let u how i have just got myself a new greyhound bitch she is a ex track dog called curley she had her last race at sunderland on the 20th of november

hiya how's she bred , and what grade just interested cos i bet a lot at sunderland, are you going to breed her . :toast:

Guest oldskool
had her out yesterday with me mates whippetxgreyhound slipped her on two she got close but they hit the hedge and she just turned around and come back

:laugh: lucky she cam back... any of the ones i kept usually run on and the rest of the night was spent lookin for them lol

Guest GARTHYWILSON
had her out yesterday with me mates whippetxgreyhound slipped her on two she got close but they hit the hedge and she just turned around and come back

:laugh: lucky she cam back... any of the ones i kept usually run on and the rest of the night was spent lookin for them lol

she has done that but found the afternoon at the the police station two towns away

she has done that but found the afternoon at the the police station two towns away

:doh: The sad thing about your last post GARTHYWILSON is that I actually believe you. :o

What did you expect the bitch to do :hmm: Might it not have been a better idea to have let her off in an enclosed area from which she couldn't have escaped.

How many roads did she cross :doh: before she was found? How many fields full of stock

did she go through? How much thought have you given to that?

Yes I'm having a rant mate,it's a subject close to my heart.I've trained greyhounds for

20 + years so I have got a soft spot for them as I have for all running dogs.

There is no harm in taking on an ex racer as long as you know what you are letting

yourself in for.If you intend to work it be prepared to put a lot of time and effort into

training it,especially recall training.

A lot of lads that have little or no idea about lurchers/running dogs think getting an ex racer is a short cut to getting out there in the fields with a working dog. :no: I think

part of the attraction is the fact that ex racers can be got for nothing.

The better option would be to purchase a pup,put the time and effort into it,it's great to watch a pups development and when it catches for the first time you know that all your patience has been worthwhile.

If a pup isn't an option for you then there are always adult lurchers for sale,okay some will have a bit of "history" with them but you can always ask for a trial.If you don't see what you like don't part with your cash.

As I've already said above I believe the attraction with these ex racers is the fact they cost nothing,[in most cases anyway].If they were £100-£150 [the same price as most lurchers,adults and pups] I don't think we'd be having this discussion.

This reply is not intended to have a dig at you personally Garthy,It's just my opinion on the subject.I'm sure you'll do what's best for the bitch.Best of luck to the both of you. :thumbs:

Edited by tote

in he past the greyhounds iv had wernt that bad they came from trainers and kennels with 50 dogs plus even got a 3 year old bitch when i was 11 for my first dog who had injured her wrist and had lay up for a year in a barn had her a matter of weeks and she was briliant used to have my dad slip her in a grass field and she would strait line to me full speed and walk back at my heal gave her a few slips on the lamp to keen her up a little and she went back on the track no probs even won a few races at the end of every race she would stop when the hare stopped run strait to me and not give a toss about the other dogs or the hare . had a few cups come over from ireland whitch were a diffrent kettle of fish diffrent class of animal and i would never have fealt safe letting one of in a field they could get out of they were like wild animals for the first year and as far as i can rember alot of them were retired within a year 2 tops due to bieng injured had an 18 month old bitch pup in a track championship all scr come out lengths infron done a hawk on the first bend finished third and never run againe she broke a track record stopped in her first race think she only ever ran 4 races and 6 trials over here her pups turned out well and 2 made good open race dogs but i kinda lost intrest after that used to make me ill when i was 12 13 even 15/16 putting everything into a dog of that class to lose it for the sake of one race . i wouldnt use any track greyhound for hare as in my opinion an ngre dog wont have had much experience other than an outside hare on a track where an inside hare dog from any old track will have more than likly have had a slip on the odd rabbit but would take alot of training .

the first bitch i had was out with us one night with the whippet i had and the lamp and sliped her coller on a set of green eyes in the distance bye the time we got to the bottom of the field the fox was a right mess lucky the bitch wasnt or my grandad would have killed me . some of them will make decent dogs but alot of them have no real intrest in human's for a long time as its something they arnt used to when they come over as pups most are like wild animals and nead trained to walk a leash and are a bag of nerves . so i agree a pup would be the best thing to chose or a lurcher you could see run . id do anything for a bitch like the black one i had all those years ago but wouldnt take the chance now as it would be very unlikly to get another like her .

good luck with [bANNED TEXT]'s sorry for going on a bit still feel strongly about the greyhound i aint allowed one now as the ones my grandads bringing over are upward of 3k a pop and the other half isnt happy with a whippet never mind a grehound at that money haha.