71 replies to this topic

#16 Rusty_terrier

Rusty_terrier

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:24 pm

I shoot with somebody who usually only shoots 22-250 and .308. Out to 100 yards I'd feel more confidenthan in my shooting of a fox with my hmr than theirs with either of the above mentioned guns. They have had their license longer than me and regular visit the range and have permission all over the country usually shooting a few times a week. If a round is capable them imo it's fine. More firepower doesn't make a shot completely safe

#17 delswal

delswal

Northern Orang-utan

• Donator
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:26 pm

Get a fox calibre its simple! I can't stand reading this crap about conditions being right and we all know people will push the boundaries. Have a little professionalism and humaneness and make sure you do everything you can to lessen the chances of the animal suffering or being injured.

"Oh look there's a fox... hmm it's night time let me assess the distance oh and with this pissy little round i better check wind drift too, ah seems ok, fire!"

Let me put it another way... if someone is going to shoot me I want them to get the job done, not die later through wounding or suffocate on blood in the airways.

And if your going to be shot do you really want to starve to death with a smashed jaw in intense pain?
Really think about that.

Its that simple there's no argument.

My license has fox on my hmr. I'm confident shooting foxes with my hmr. I have shot many foxes with my hmr. I consider it a decent fox gun. As for windage and distance surely you take that into account with any caliber gun on any quarry ? I have a 22 250 does that mean if I'm out with that I can shoot fox from here to tim buck two? I've also shot foxes at around 40 yard with 22 250. Is this overkill should I have went home and got the hmr. Hmr will shoot for to a certain distance comfy.

I to have .17 HMR conditioned for fox, I do not consider it a decent fox round. Yes it kills fox, but is not as say my .223 a decent fox round. Just because the FAC say so, don't make it right. My .233 is open and conditioned for deer, yet in scotland it okay for roe but not in England. Just because the Scottish Parliament say you can, won't make a .223 a decent roe deer round, but of course, it will kill a roe deer. Who right on that one?

I would much prefer to shoot Roe with a .223 rather than a .243 …….but am I right? in my eyes yes 

• David Aiken likes this

#18 delswal

delswal

Northern Orang-utan

• Donator
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:54 pm

Deker hit the nail on the head, hit your quarry in the right place with the right calibre at the right range and its dead, all guns can kill, but can the shooter?

An old guy I know only has 1 rifle a .222 I once asked him "what other rifles do you have" he replied "none". I asked "why not" his reply was quite simple

"Because this one kills everything I shoot at"…………..Smart arsed old git.

• walshie likes this

#19 Deker

Deker

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 08:28 am

This debate could run and run, as far as I'm concerned if you don't like the HMR for fox then don't use it, but don't tell the world it isn't up to the job.

You don't know any/everyone elses abilities, experience or circumstances.

I do this for a living, one area is getting rid of foxes in peoples gardens, it is a regular job for me, I don't remember the last time I used a centrefire, and I have NEVER missed one or had it run off.

Please don't tell me I don't know what I am doing, it seems I have a far more open mind and far more experience than many commentators here, or they would not be spouting the bull they are.

I have a lot of rifles to select from, I don't use rimfires because I have no other choice, I run .223, .243 and .308 as well, and several shotguns.   I take out the most appropriate I consider for any given set of circumstances.  It is very rare I take a .308 for fox, actually I don't think I ever have.  Foxes are easy to train and can almost always be brought in close with a little thought/preparation, commonly if I shoot one with a centrefire it is opportunist when out after something else.

So, do what you like, but just because you don't rate it or feel confident, then please don't tell the rest of the world they are wrong for using it.

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker, 20 August 2016 - 08:33 am.

• WILF, BLACK-GUN, sussex and 1 other like this

#20 WILF

WILF

The "Memphis" of shooting

• Members
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:11 pm

It's like this, here you have to license each gun at €80 each or whatever it is......I don't need €400 of licenses around me.
I was very specific in my question because I know what's round me and the HMR seems like the right tool......but having never owned one I wanted some feedback from lads that have.

Decker seems to have understood me perfectly so many thanks to him and the other lads.

It's a tool for round the farm and not a dedicated "I'm going and doing a certain thing" rifle........
  • BLACK-GUN likes this

#21 The Seeker

The Seeker

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:28 pm

Wilf just a thing to check that the police force you fall under (or Garda?) permits the use of. 17HMR for fox.

When I first got mine South Yorkshire wouldn't pass the HMR or .22rf for fox. It may have changed now, but I've got a .223 for fox control so I haven needed to check since.

Good luck mate :thumbs:
  • lost scouse and WILF like this

#22 nasher1

nasher1

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 775 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:47 pm

I think people need to practice they're marksmanship a bit more, and if they are not confident enough to kill a fox at 100 yards with a hmr they should be practicing theyre marksmanship a LOT more, when I was a kid starting shooting it was drummed into you that you only shoot targets until you were confident enough that you could get a clean kill, and only then move onto live quarry, I havnt heard this in a long time but think it should be revived. 

#23 jacknife

jacknife

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 06:07 pm

I think people need to practice they're marksmanship a bit more, and if they are not confident enough to kill a fox at 100 yards with a hmr they should be practicing theyre marksmanship a LOT more, when I was a kid starting shooting it was drummed into you that you only shoot targets until you were confident enough that you could get a clean kill, and only then move onto live quarry, I havnt heard this in a long time but think it should be revived. 

Not always as easy as that though....as most Of my fox shooting is in the dark from a motor going over rough ground

You go for the biggest target the fox's chest.....and if you happen to be using the Hmr theres a chance the fOx will run on till dead

Just like lots of dear do

#24 Torquemada

Torquemada

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 07:53 pm

I have SGC. When my next renewal comes up I am going to ask for FAC at the same time for a 17hmr. Good all round gun for what I do for a living.

#25 Metalman2

Metalman2

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:22 pm

My force granted me HMR for "occasional" fox, whatever that means, it is zeroed at 100yds, so I would not expect a problem up to that range

#26 Deker

Deker

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:32 pm

My force granted me HMR for "occasional" fox, whatever that means, it is zeroed at 100yds, so I would not expect a problem up to that range

The latest Home Office guide lists HMR and WMR as Fox suitable, also the .22lr in appropriate circumstances!

#27 stuartpengs

stuartpengs

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:51 pm

North Wales police won't entertain HMR as suitable for fox. It's bizarre the apparent variations from one constabulary to another.

#28 Navek

Navek

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:13 am

North Wales police won't entertain HMR as suitable for fox. It's bizarre the apparent variations from one constabulary to another.

each one seems to make there own rules up as they go .

#29 Deker

Deker

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:42 am

With all due respect someone needs to challenge them, the Home Office (in simple terms the Police regions Head Office) says the HMR is fine for fox, who is a regional office to argue/question/go against a Head Office ruling?

• johonawhitness likes this

#30 ianm

ianm

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 10:36 am

With all due respect someone needs to challenge them, the Home Office (in simple terms the Police regions Head Office) says the HMR is fine for fox, who is a regional office to argue/question/go against a Head Office ruling?

The problem is it is only a guide and so any force can choose to ignore it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users