It's like this, here you have to license each gun at €80 each or whatever it is......I don't need €400 of licenses around me.

I was very specific in my question because I know what's round me and the HMR seems like the right tool......but having never owned one I wanted some feedback from lads that have.

Decker seems to have understood me perfectly so many thanks to him and the other lads.

It's a tool for round the farm and not a dedicated "I'm going and doing a certain thing" rifle........

• Like 1

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This debate could run and run, as far as I'm concerned if you don't like the HMR for fox then don't use it, but don't tell the world it isn't up to the job.   You don't know any/everyone elses abili

Get a fox calibre its simple! I can't stand reading this crap about conditions being right and we all know people will push the boundaries. Have a little professionalism and humaneness and make sure y

:laugh:   Strikes me you have a very narrow view and very little experience, either or both, and/or simply can't shoot straight!   There is a lot of argument... and you check distance and wind d

Posted Images

Wilf just a thing to check that the police force you fall under (or Garda?) permits the use of. 17HMR for fox.

When I first got mine South Yorkshire wouldn't pass the HMR or .22rf for fox. It may have changed now, but I've got a .223 for fox control so I haven needed to check since.

Good luck mate :thumbs:

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I think people need to practice they're marksmanship a bit more, and if they are not confident enough to kill a fox at 100 yards with a hmr they should be practicing theyre marksmanship a LOT more, when I was a kid starting shooting it was drummed into you that you only shoot targets until you were confident enough that you could get a clean kill, and only then move onto live quarry, I havnt heard this in a long time but think it should be revived.

I think people need to practice they're marksmanship a bit more, and if they are not confident enough to kill a fox at 100 yards with a hmr they should be practicing theyre marksmanship a LOT more, when I was a kid starting shooting it was drummed into you that you only shoot targets until you were confident enough that you could get a clean kill, and only then move onto live quarry, I havnt heard this in a long time but think it should be revived.

Not always as easy as that though....as most Of my fox shooting is in the dark from a motor going over rough ground

You go for the biggest target the fox's chest.....and if you happen to be using the Hmr theres a chance the fOx will run on till dead

Just like lots of dear do

My force granted me HMR for "occasional" fox, whatever that means, it is zeroed at 100yds, so I would not expect a problem up to that range

The latest Home Office guide lists HMR and WMR as Fox suitable, also the .22lr in appropriate circumstances!

North Wales police won't entertain HMR as suitable for fox. It's bizarre the apparent variations from one constabulary to another.

With all due respect someone needs to challenge them, the Home Office (in simple terms the Police regions Head Office) says the HMR is fine for fox, who is a regional office to argue/question/go against a Head Office ruling?

• Like 1

North Wales police won't entertain HMR as suitable for fox. It's bizarre the apparent variations from one constabulary to another.

With all due respect someone needs to challenge them, the Home Office (in simple terms the Police regions Head Office) says the HMR is fine for fox, who is a regional office to argue/question/go against a Head Office ruling?

The problem is it is only a guide and so any force can choose to ignore it.

To what end though? Whether we like it or not we're all subject to the arbitrary policy decisions of individual Chief Constables, ranging from calibre suitability, ammunition quantity allowed to be held, and a myriad of other idiosyncrasies. Calibre suitability will always be subjective, even between shooters (as this thread demonstrates), it's hardly surprising to see a similar subjectivity between individual police forces. Challenging such policies will do nothing other than bring about clarification that, irrespective of Home Office guidelines, policy decision ultimately lies with the head shed.

To what end though? Whether we like it or not we're all subject to the arbitrary policy decisions of individual Chief Constables, ranging from calibre suitability, ammunition quantity allowed to be held, and a myriad of other idiosyncrasies. Calibre suitability will always be subjective, even between shooters (as this thread demonstrates), it's hardly surprising to see a similar subjectivity between individual police forces. Challenging such policies will do nothing other than bring about clarification that, irrespective of Home Office guidelines, policy decision ultimately lies with the head shed.

The Home Office goes to a lot of trouble and expense to provide a guide to the Police so they can interpret the Law in an even handed fashion throughout the country.

Then there is ACPO etc that also agree terms. We all know that it is not interpreted the same way throughout, but if people simply roll over and accept things it never will be.

There is nothing to stop anyone asking for clarification of the Police stance (other than balls) and if you/anyone have a problem with that get the BASC (other shooting organisations are available) to ask on your behalf.

The BASC are very good at putting the regions straight and have got people fox conditions in these circumstances many times, I believe there are threads on THL about it!

If you are concerned about the specific mention of fox then don't be, vermin or Any Lawful Quarry is fox! The latest Home Office Guide quite clearly interprets Vermin to mean fox, etc, NO police region would ever bring any prosecution against you for shooting fox under Vermin or ALQ, when all your brief needs to do is wave the Home Office guide under the Judges nose, no court would ever convict in these circumstances, and would most like bollock the region for wasting public time/money!

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker

The Home Office goes to a lot of trouble and expense to provide a guide to the Police so they can interpret the Law in an even handed fashion throughout the country.

Then there is ACPO etc that also agree terms. We all know that it is not interpreted the same way throughout, but if people simply roll over and accept things it never will be.

There is nothing to stop anyone asking for clarification of the Police stance (other than balls) and if you/anyone have a problem with that get the BASC (other shooting organisations are available) to ask on your behalf.

The BASC are very good at putting the regions straight and have got people fox conditions in these circumstances many times, I believe there are threads on THL about it!

If you are concerned about the specific mention of fox then don't be, vermin or Any Lawful Quarry is fox! The latest Home Office Guide quite clearly interprets Vermin to mean fox, etc, NO police region would ever bring any prosecution against you for shooting fox under Vermin or ALQ, when all your brief needs to do is wave the Home Office guide under the Judges nose, no court would ever convict in these circumstances, and would most like bollock the region for wasting public time/money!

I'm not concerned about anything Deker, I simply pointed out that North Wales Police don't view .17 HMR as a suitable round for fox. It doesn't concern me.

Edited by stuartpengs

I'm not concerned about anything Deker, I simply pointed out that North Wales Police don't view .17 HMR as a suitable round for fox. It doesn't concern me.

:hmm::hmm: :hmm:

We've done that bit haven't we, my whole point is that there are very probably ways of straightening out N Wales and getting HMR for Fox, either directly or under the heading Vermin or ALQ, as the vast majority of HMR are conditioned for vermin, that IS fox!!!