10 minutes ago, two crows said:

great producer deacon, but we had saluki lurchers  20 years before him and the staminer was bottomless, and as a young lad I ran mine all year round from hard as rock to bottomless bog and I never broke one lol and people talk about testing dogs, ours went out nearly every day and we never talked about 3s and 4s we expected ours to kill every one, lol

What was the hare population like in the early days mate, must have been different altogether back then, early 90's up here in Northumberland used to find some good numbers on certain land, few and far between now

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two imports one smooth one feathered( Iran/Iraq ) and one uk bitch. My youngest bitch a nice UK bitch was poisened a couple of months back. The Dog will run hare or deer in his COO. The two bitches w

Yes that right DB I mi d that day years ago down with pp I seen your uk bitch out Doris and also seen Doris n broken nose that day too lol decided too use Doris that day as she showed heart n I liked

But common sense would say if you going too cross one use a coursing dog too mix ?

On 03/09/2016 at 12:42, desertbred said:

Its down to confidence and what land the races are run on most coursing lads only run hares and want the flat land why not a comp on other quarries on other types of land. Would lads run the lurcher against purpose bred greyhounds on the track? its horses for courses

To be fair what other quarry could u run pures on and give them even half a chance 

1 hour ago, low plains drifter said:

What was the hare population like in the early days mate, must have been different altogether back then, early 90's up here in Northumberland used to find some good numbers on certain land, few and far between now

in the late 60s and all through the 70s the hare population in the east and north midlands was very strong, and hunted regular round the pit villages by the mouching lurcher  boys, so  the hares we ran were good hares and on a good cross section of land from almost fen like to small fields with thick hedges, from heavy clay, to blowing sand, so dogs that made the grade were proper dogs, not much about now where I was mate.

11 minutes ago, two crows said:

in the late 60s and all through the 70s the hare population in the east and north midlands was very strong, and hunted regular round the pit villages by the mouching lurcher  boys, so  the hares we ran were good hares and on a good cross section of land from almost fen like to small fields with thick hedges, from heavy clay, to blowing sand, so dogs that made the grade were proper dogs, not much about now where I was mate.

I reckon over lamping and being shot out has done most of the damage, cannot beat the day game for sport and conservation 

• Like 3