Help With Retrieving

Hi, I'm in need of some help I've got a 13month old pup that retrieves dummies straight to hand. But will mess around with a rabbit on lamp, She will come into 5 yards away then drop her catch and come in empty handed. Shes had 10 rabbits and brought 1 all the way in once. Any tips on getting her to carry better. I've tried walking away and still no different. I'm hoping once she has a season she will mature and be more possessive. Her breeding is (Whippet/grey X Whippet/grey/saluki). Any advice thanks in advance

one of the things i found worked for me was to just drop down on one knee as they come in,the bitch i had would come right in that way, more she caught the less i done it eventually straight to hand,worth a try,maybe

• Like 1

Just ad the same problem with my pup 9months old was out walking and a rabbit crossed are path into a small plantation pup caught it and for love no money would bring it to me. And as you say about the dummy/ball he brings it straight back but not the rabbit I had to walk away and he followed me. He's still a pup so I will spend more time with the retrieving

Just.reading your post on tug training Penny , theres a lot of rules and must do's which are completely unnessary

The main premise behind the activity with the dog is Not about the item , the item is just an extension of you, I let all the mutts here mouth my hands arms at times , they feel safe with me and trust is 100%,

Play tug ,go through all the motions , encourage him , rub him wrestle him and let him win , you need to have him on a long line for this , let him win and back up encourage him to come in and push the item into you , get him jumping up on you with it , the more connection the less fear the dog can hold on to , it's the dog winning and bringing the item through its own free will is the crunch

Edited by Casso

Try teaching the lurcher to hold on command, when doing your dummy training, let it stand with you holding the dummy, do retrieves and use hold when coming in, teach it this by placing the dummy in its mouth and gently closing its mouth saying hold, then when it understands start using it with rabbits, saying hold, the penny usually drops and they start retrieving to hand.

• Like 1

To correct a fault on a dog i think you need to understand what caused it in the first place, there different ways for different dogs and situations.

I caused a similar problem by taking rabbits off dog too soon.

Another thing I would try is to turn your back on dog and kneel down soon as it starts to mess around and don't call or say nothing just wait.

Dog still young so I wouldn't worried too much or make a deal out of it.

Atb.

• Like 1

Hi, I'm in need of some help I've got a 13month old pup that retrieves dummies straight to hand. But will mess around with a rabbit on lamp, She will come into 5 yards away then drop her catch and come in empty handed. Shes had 10 rabbits and brought 1 all the way in once. Any tips on getting her to carry better. I've tried walking away and still no different. I'm hoping once she has a season she will mature and be more possessive. Her breeding is (Whippet/grey X Whippet/grey/saluki). Any advice thanks in advance

Try not to get too hung up on this fetching to hand business.. :yes:

I know its frustrating,...but your situation is a stars flight from the scenario where a jukel catches his quarry,..then,.fecks off and heads for the hills with it.... :icon_eek:

Now,.. that really would be,..emotional... :laugh:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 6

That's a very good point joe , how you're with the dog the other 23 hours a day have huge revelance on such things as retrieve , if your constantly correcting him for been a c**t round the house it's gonna show in his resistance to you

• Like 1