Nv Issue

Time to pick your collective brains chaps.

I have had an add-on NV for a little while but only used it at a friends ratting perm and then it was no more than 15mt distance. Tonight, I sat in wait for some bunnies until the light went, on with the IR torch (T20) and on with the camera unit........................clear image at about 15mt but at 20mt onwards almost no image at all. Now I am assuming it is down to lack of output from the torch but I would have thought these torches would have eaten that distance. I did see a rabbits eye shine but in all honesty, I really don't know what distance it was. First time after rabbits in the dark so a learning curve here.

I don't know if it is the torch or the camera unit, any ideas please and yes Mitch, I know add-on's are crap but it was all I could afford otherwise I would have a D700/800 or the holy grail, Pulsar on the back.................one day perhaps but a bit hacked off at present and feel like chucking the bloody thing.

Phil

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Following on from my NV saga and it's lack of showing any distance over 15mt, the unit went back to the cottage industry that made it. The chap was so helpful it was a pleasure to deal with him, he wa

Fec that Phil He's as blind as a bat If you do keep well out the way , lol   An't that right big fella Atb

I know, I know Mitch but 3+ times the price.............if only I was not retired, it might be different.   Phil

A T20 should be good for a lot more than 20mtrs mate.

Is it aligned properly?

I took my NVUK home brew style kit out the other week. My scope was a bit too short to mount everything on but, I crammed it all on anyway. This forced my T20 slightly out of alignment and massively reduced my range.

• Like 1

Just charging the battery in the torch to be on the safe side although there seems to be plenty of life in it.

This is the one I have

DSCF3085_zpskbdmimg6.jpg

This is at 15mt

DSCF3087_zpssx8nhmup.jpg

The scope is an MTC Genesis AO, IR although the scope in the photo is a Hawke Varmint. The torch is mounted on a picatiny rail so it should be okay.

Phil

The torch looks to be mounted ok.

You may just need to play with different adjustments for the whole kit.

Mine can be a pain in the arse at the arse at times.

Also, I have found that I get a better result with a sunshade fitted to my scope if I'm mounting the IR forward.

The sun shade is normally fitted and I tried it with and without last night but just have not put it back on again.

I bought the unit from a guy on ebay who builds them. A number of people on Airgun forum bought them and raved about how good they were so I decided to get one, £200.

I have tried making adjustments where possible and have the batteries on charge to see if there is any improvement.

Phil

Hmm, in that case, I'm not sure what it could be - Sorry Phil.

My NVUK kit can be a bitch to set up - the DSA isn't as good as yours, it's just a big rubber hose type push on thing. But, once I've got it spot on, I get a bit more range than with my NS Viper.

I asked about the torch because, changing anything with my T20 can make a lot of difference.

- mine has a twist-head beam adjustment. If I get this right, I can see for a good 200yrds. If I get it wrong, I can see bugger all.

Hope you get it sorted mate - NV is a fantastic way to hunt :thumbs:

Also, whatever you do, do not look through a Pulsar N870 - it makes my kit look like something the Flintstones would have used :o:D

Edited by Jonjon79

It might be because your torch mount is fixed and AO needs adjusting, I use the n1000 ir and I have to adjust it for different ranges and then set Ao to get best picture.

Stick some tape over that blue Led while your at it ?

Edited by treecreeper
  • Like 1

Okay, some food for thought. I will have another play tonight. The unit itself is really well made and very neat with it's own built in battery but it is starting to p1ss me off.

I take on board what you say TC regarding AO/torch zoom and will look into it further but, and there is always a 'but', I have side wheel AO on my scopes and I did try to make adjustments with both last night with very little effect, worth trying again though. I would like to try a bigger torch, just to eliminate it from the equasion or even another T20. Mine is not a T20 by name but Terry on airgun forum makes them up with loads of guys and I do mean loads of guys very very happy with them. They are an Ultrafire base unit with updated IR fitted, zoom and three power settings.

To be honest, if I had the dosh, I would buy a 'proper' NV of some description. I am off to the game fair Friday, staying in a hotel tomorrow to get a full day in on Friday so who knows, I might just see something there which my wife might take pity on me and buy it..... :whistling:

Phil

I have a diy set up and it is shit hot, once it went a bit dodgy and it was the focus on the camera. The tiny grub screw on the camera focus had worked loose and unfocused. Have a look and adjust it if needed. Back on track now after adjusting and maybe even better than before!

• Like 1

Try taking the torch off its mount and shine it where the scope is aiming does image get brighter?

Also check you haven't selected low power mode.

does it have an e700 camera fitted? dont give up on it diy nv is awsome. mine has a T20 fitted with a doubler and can see 200 yards easy!

• Like 1