Defender.. Opinions

I'm looking at a 2007 90 xs station wagon tomorrow.... although my hearts saying get it my heads saying it's a lot of dosh for a 2007 motor with 107k on the clock. I am thinking though that maybe it's a bit of an investment too as they seem to hold money well. I won't be doing a massive amount of miles ... maybe 6000 a year.

Take it for a test drive ... Some people are to big to drive a land rover comfortably...

I like defenders, but for the same price you could get a reliable jap 4x4

• Like 1

They are a theft magnet, so make sure you can secure it. Disclok is compulsory and awkward drive is handy.

They are popular for a reason but not as car like as a Japanese 4x4. If you can put up with the rattles and general discomfort, you will get a trusty workhorse.

Not 100% reliable but plenty of places to get it fixed. And everybody still wants one.

• Like 1

I decided against it after a test drive.... it's just not practical for what a want really. And I can see it getting ruined chucking the dogs in and out of it. I've found a Nissan xtrail that I'm going to look at tomorrow. As much as I love the defenders it's just not suitable for my needs.

X trails are better than i thought after running one last season.just had it valeted before i sell it and was impressed by how hard wearing and clean the interior came up.

We'll I've found a 2003 130k on clock but been well looked after ..serviced regularly and anything needed doing it was done. Blokes had it since 2004 wants 1500 but gonna go 1250 see if I can get it for that.

Price was the deciding factor on my 4x4. I went for a 1998 4.0 straight six Jeep Grand Cherokee. 150,000 miles on the clock and good for 400,000. Heated seats, air con, electro seats, 6 disk CD/radio/tape. Very comfortable on the motorway and loads of power. Just been on a shooting holiday, it was faultless driving the 500 mile rounds trip and the week off road driving around the farm. Often overlooked but I've had no problems in 3 years and I only paid £800 for a £25000 vehical!

Price was the deciding factor on my 4x4. I went for a 1998 4.0 straight six Jeep Grand Cherokee. 150,000 miles on the clock and good for 400,000. Heated seats, air con, electro seats, 6 disk CD/radio/tape. Very comfortable on the motorway and loads of power. Just been on a shooting holiday, it was faultless driving the 500 mile rounds trip and the week off road driving around the farm. Often overlooked but I've had no problems in 3 years and I only paid £800 for a £25000 vehical!

Very powerful motors and excellent off road they just extra greedy tw@ts with fuel.

Good price.check the rear wheel arches and in front of the rear mud flaps.thats where they rot.

There was a slight spot of rust on one of the rear wheel arches but apart from that car was spot on. Bloke had every receipt from last 10 years for it so couldn't fault it really. 2 new tyres plus just been serviced got it for 1400 in the end.