Trout Bait.

We had a couple of friends over for the last few days and we arranged to have a BBQ Friday night. We had all the normal burgers and stuff but the mrs decided she wanted trout.

I had no bait at all and digging for 10 minutes produced one tiny worm. My mate insisted trout would take bread, which I didn't believe as I thought they were carnivores. Off we went armed with a couple of slices of bread and this one worm. First cast on the worm produced a small rudd. Second or third cast on bread produced....this!

IMG-20160722-WA0000.jpg

Surprised to say the least. :thumbs:

Very nice!

I can confirm they take bread too, there's a wee village not too far from me that has a small river running through where the trout compete with the ducks for bread. I've been plagued by them a few times when after chub with breadflake too!

Great, so it's not a one-off. That will save a bit of digging next time.

It was only about 2lb but put up a great fight on light tackle launching itself out of the water. Looking at the size of its tail I can see how.

It was only about 2lb but put up a great fight on light tackle launching itself out of the water. Looking at the size of its tail I can see how.

Used to pick up the occasional trout on bread intended for chub, whilst trotting the Deepdene stretch of the River Mole in Dorking years ago. Have also had eels take bread, again trotted for chub, but during the night on the River Beult in Kent, using one of those green 'glow-in-the-dark' floats you used to have to shine your torch on to activate it, before proper night floats had been invented :laugh: although in all honesty I did find worms more successful. :laugh:

• Like 2

nice fish although i always feel they look and smell better than they taste when cooked lol.

as for ten minutes digging worms no need,washing up bowl full water little squirt of fairy liquid mixed in and pour on grass,few minutes pick the worms up as they come to surface ;)

• Like 2

I,ve had some cracking runs on boilies and bolt rigs from trout when after a large carp that lived in a trout lake near me and trotting bread, down small streams, I would,nt hesitate to use bread, especially if people feed ducks there regularly,

Used to pick up the occasional trout on bread intended for chub, whilst trotting the Deepdene stretch of the River Mole in Dorking years ago. Have also had eels take bread, again trotted for chub, but during the night on the River Beult in Kent, using one of those green 'glow-in-the-dark' floats you used to have to shine your torch on to activate it, before proper night floats had been invented :laugh: although in all honesty I did find worms more successful. :laugh:

i have seen trout take bread thrown into the water for ducks on the mole at cobham.
  • Like 2