Ive been looking at diamond backs they seem pretty good value

But not come across anuone useing them

Yeah, bought a pair of 10x42 Vipers a few months back, about £380 new. They're spot on! hard to tell the difference between them and the premium brands and they have the best warranty going.

Where abouts did you purchase these from for that price? Thanks

Bought some 10 x 42 helious eds for £160.00 more than happy with them

Yeah, bought a pair of 10x42 Vipers a few months back, about £380 new. They're spot on! hard to tell the difference between them and the premium brands and they have the best warranty going.

Where abouts did you purchase these from for that price? Thanks

ebay, can't remember where exactly.

Just an update on their performance having used them now for a year. They are fairly decent but one morning in particular they weren't quite on par with better quality glass. 99% of the time though I'm perfectly happy.

• Like 1

Hello born hunter, just replying to your post regarding the purchase of your (Vortex ) binoculars. Sometime I managed to look through a certain pair of Vortex, but in all honesty I forget of which model I looked through. However, I was quite impressed, but the situation would have been somewhat better if the weather had been a lot worse.Simply meaning any binocular will perform pretty well when the weather conditions are good ,i.e. a day with sun shining instead of rainy or dull, overcast skies.
The thing that sticks within my mind is the phenomenal warranty that is afforded by such a company.
Who knows, perhaps the other big boys and even the somewhat smaller companies will have to follow and conform to the superb (warranty) given by Vortex? Time will only tell!
Born Hunter, at the end of the day it all depends upon certain deciding factors. Will your Binoculars be used extensively in the aid to perhaps your shooting if that is your requirement? Will you just use them for short periods within the countryside when birdwatching? Or you may be planning a complete experience of watching birds, certain mammals or for the use of hunting.
Please keep myself informed upon your experience out in the great outdoors. That's always nice to hear.
Even quite clearly to this day I can remember my brother and myself being issued from both our parents a pair of (COMMODORE) Binoculars. "How embarrassing to all parties concerned. For a while they fitted the bill so too speak
However, the true reality of our purchase became more embarrassing if confronted with other more substantial optics owned by older people with somewhat deeper pockets.
Although at that particular period of time approx (1977) even then the binocular range I think was still within its infancy.
The Commodore, cheap Japanese crap had to last for what seemed like a life time until numerous years later, of which eventually my brother and myself travelled to a small shop in Nottinghamshire, actually London Camera exchange and we obtained a pair of (Bushnell Nature view 8x42) binoculars. These particular Bins cost approx £150 each of our hard earned cash and we loved them, just like 2 little infants in a sweet shop, that's still my memory.
'Most people soon realise that the more one get's involved with most things, one still wants to get something even better. Although these binoculars more than fitted the bill and our mainly birdwatching needs our satisfaction was somewhat overshadowed also due to certain constraints within the binoculars. However, this range of Binoculars had managed to scoop certain birdwatching awards in many Birdwatching magazines.
Perhaps it sounds a little childish but still our satisfaction couldn't be curbed due to us wanting more better optics.

Another stroke of luck came my way in the order of a nice clean pair of Bausch and Lomb collectors items of which time I had little knowledge on anything optical, however, I've always had a feel and the eye for quality.My friend had bought the glasses from an antique shop in Heanor, Derbyshire and I obtained them for the princely sum of £47.00 pounds. Of good condition no fungus inside the glass, free of marks or any forms of scratches on the lens. Very good condition, Bausch and Lomb, American Navy U boat binoculars. Excellent!
However, like a fool for some unknown reason I sold them to a guy for approx £45.00. I'd always been brought up to make a profit when selling any item, this time I'd made a mistake and had lost out on a very good investment. In retrospect I should have kept them, (Squirrel) them away and take unhandsome profit.
It wasn't until certain years later and the (Bushnell Nature view) had seen better days, with perished eyecups and a broken strap that I decided to move up into the mens league regarding Binoculars.

I'd just travelled back from Leeds to see a good friend of mine, he is on this particular hunting forum. A friend, a good coursing man had a superb pair of Swarovski 10x42 EL range for sale at a price I could not resist. I still have them and I'll never sell them. Also in addition to the Swarovski I have my trusty pair of Leica 8x32 BN Trinovid Binocular, a Leica compact 10x25 BCA and also a pair of Carl Zeiss 10x40 classic BGAT another really good pair of Binoculars.

So the moral of the story is to choose carefully but at times take a gamble.

Born Hunter, if you get time look up a somewhat new Binocular company called (Maven). They are an American company but the Bins are made by a Japanese company called Kamakura. I'm not used to incorrect spelling as I know German but unfortunately not Japanese. So please accept my apologies if I've spelt the Jap word incorrectly.

The beauty about (Maven) is that they do not deal with anyone but the customer, selling directly to the person in the street saving the buyer many £100's of pounds in the process. Plus one can configure their own design of Maven products, be it a pair of Binoculars or a spotting scope.

For myself I'm considering a pair of Maven for myself afterpost-99609-0-19581300-1492830897_thumb.jpg some very reliable sources have stated that Maven will give Swarovski, Zeiss and Leica a run for their money.

I haven't gone into great detail regarding glass type, magnification due to myself not being qualified enough.

Another new kid on the block, sorry I despise certain terminologies, is the new Leica Noctivid and my brother tells myself it is a super Binocular.

'I do apologise for the lengthy post. Hope to hear from you in the near future.

Regards, Lutra...

post-99609-0-63670100-1492830918_thumb.jpg

post-99609-0-95415500-1492830948_thumb.jpg

post-99609-0-90395400-1492831019_thumb.jpg

post-99609-0-86104300-1492831111_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lutra Lutra
  • Like 1

What are the vortex diamondbacks like anyone tried them ?

I have the diamondback 8x42 I think they are off the top of my head and for the money i cant fault them obviously not quite as good as the viper or razor but then the cost reflects this.

• Like 1

I have the diamondback 8x42 I think they are off the top of my head and for the money i cant fault them obviously not quite as good as the viper or razor but then the cost reflects this.

I have the Diamondback 10x42, and the Solo 10x36 monocular. I bought them both at the local sporting goods store for a combined prices $360US which at the time was £180, with the exchange rate. For the price, they've been superb and I can't rate them highly enough, however they're more of an entry, to medium, level lens as is reflected in the price.

post-22-0-82548300-1502120500_thumb.jpg

We have a lot of sun and clear skies, here in the mountains and they excel for glassing pretty much anything. They do suffer in lower light and adverse weather. I've had the Nikon Monarch 5 binoculars, which are now at the bottom of a reservoir... operator error on that one. They were a much better lens but twice the money.

EDIT: To add the picture and to say have a look at some of the Yank optic sites. Some of the prices quoted in £'s sound a little high from this side of the Atlantic.

Edited by ChrisJones

Lutra Lutra that's all true. The Vortex warranty sold it for me really.

My needs are fairly simple, to glass around from a truck or vantage point for deer. The glass on my rifle is a Swaro' 8x56 (30mm tube) which is my benchmark in all of this. If I can't see the deer clearly through the scope then I don't need to see it through my bins!

I've spent a bit of time over the past year sat in high seats after the sun has set glassing about swapping between bins and rifle and there isn't a lot in it. My morning's usually consist of driving up to some high ground to glass around for deer still out in the fields and it was on one of these mornings, a particularly foggy one, where I did notice a significant difference between my Swaro' and my Vipers. I obviously can't comment on whether a premium brand pair of bins would have been any better, but I suspect they would.

IMO exceptional low light performance is more important in the mornings than evenings because you're not fighting the time in the morning, if you shoot an animal in poor light then 20mins later you'll have good light to find it. In the evening I'm inclined to not shoot anything too late because you're fighting the onset of darkness making finding it, even with a perfect shot more difficult, never mind correctly identifying the animal. But with all that said, the real world difference that I have noticed, for me personally, hasn't been worth paying another grand for a premium brand.

post-3173-0-71661200-1502181536_thumb.png

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1

I've got some 10x42 vortex diamondbacks. Great glass, I've really enjoyed using them last season, they are clear and didn't fog up in the cold november archery season. I'd recommend them to anyone. The only thing I didn't like about them is the eyecups keep falling down when I want them up. I may put a zip tie under them to hold them up.
Edited by Vincej
  • Like 1

I have the Vortex HD for a lot of years now and as mentioned spotting at the beginning or the end of daylight they compare equally with my S & B pm11 so the difference of spotting to shooting is nothing .

With the quality glass you can see game which you cannot see with the naked eye ! Definitely worth buying quality glass .

ATB

• Like 1