Let My Inexperience Be A Warning To Others.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A puppy will dig holes in your garden, and empty your plant pots, as well as going through what may be a prolonged chewing stage. So, if you decide to get a pup, you will need to kennel it when you ar

Honestly pal if a dog isn't going to fit in with your life it's best to be honest with yourself straight away rather than spend months getting more stressed and possibly taking it out on the dog. Don'

Should of gave him to kate b lol

My old dog is a rescue and 6 years later she's still not 100% and in certain situations a complete liability. She wouldn't have survived with anyone else that's a certainty. . . Anyone and everyone I know wouldn't have put up with her.

Its dam hard work getting into the mindset of an abused dog and you never know the triggers that set them off until you yourself come up against them with each individual dog. . . Time,patience and the ability to step back and put yourself in the dogs position often solves each and every dilemma you come across.

It was a challenge for me to turn the dog around a make her a very useful working dog which is what they all crave really,Just to have a job/purpose in life etc etc.

I would never go down this route in life again and would not wish the stress upon my worst enemy..lol.. But also just to add, I would never give up on the dog and pass her on etc etc.. She's mine and my problem. . .Plus she's accounted for many thousands of rabbits over the last few years. . . I often say "wish I'd had her from a puppy" what a dog she would have been.... or maybe not who knows.

My younger dog was bought as a puppy from good working stock and I can honestly say 100% hand on heart,she's never given me a days stress in the last three years,You couldn't fall out with her if you tried,,,she is the most easy going laid back dog Ive ever had.She's done everything asked of her in the field and is just a pleasure to have around.

I will do the same and buy a decent bred pup again when I need a new team member in a few years or so.

The whole point of adopting a rescue dog is to give them a better life than they have had already. Of course they are going to have behaviours that you need to correct, these behaviours cannot be corrected in a few days and you were extremely naive in thinking so. I don't see the problem with crating a dog when unsupervised until you get to see acceptable behaviour from the dog on a regular basis. One of my friends has 2 Beagles, one is crated while out, the other isn't, the dogs have no problem with it and gives them both a break from each other. If you make a commitment to a rescue dog, there must be a very good reason in order to return it, for example, change of circumstances or doesn't get on with any other dogs/pets. I'm sure this dog will eventually get a home where the owner has the time and patience and it will make a cracking companion for them in return.

• Like 2

It's always the rescue dogs that pop up on forums with the same MO.

I don't care what people think of this, we all have our own opinions. Rescue centers churn out dogs daily. Half the time they tag a sad story to its neck that IT was rescued from a traveller camp or found wondering along the A1 trying to hitch hike. They will feed you with so many RSPCA story's to reel you in and rescue that gooey eyed Lurcher. Then the money part, oh yes the contract, the charity bit, when you pass more money than what they are asking because you've saved that dogs arse from the asylum! This is were they make their money and lots of it too!

They wave you goodbye, mission accomplished, one less dog in the asylum and £150 in the pot.

Can you sense I have no faith in rescue homes...

You'll have a stressful time trying to settle that dog in, he's broken you already, and with your current frame of mind you can't possibly train him. He will sense all your anger and stress. What's a cheap plant pot? It's replaceable isn't it? A hole can be covered, if these very minor things upset you then any dog isn't for you.

• Like 4

i too be honest think your a cruel c**t if you couldnt handle the dog why not rehome him with someone like a young lad that has a kennel and a run where he was proberbly used to being from a pup instead of trying to house break a dog all youve done is f**k the dog about fancy sending him back to the shelter where in time after he been rehomed with a few more idiots like yourself will be returned then rehomed then in the end the shelter will simply put him to sleep and i blame you for this if youd of just advertised him on here or a simlar site and explained what he was like im sure someone would have took a chance on him where he would of settled right in and i think kate b would of been the perfect choice jmo but things like this piss me off your just a jacker that throws the towel in after a few days

• Like 2

There have been some really interesting responses to this post and others that I've just laughed at because I kind of expected it. I guess I was expecting a bit of ragging over the time frame and that's par for the course of asking questions in an open forum. I'm sure we've all done things we've messed up on. I just had the balls to admit my mistakes and ask for advice for more experienced people. To the odd few who've tried to have a pop, so be there's keyboard warriors everywhere and I'm glad you've been fortunate enough to have had a lifetime of success. I'm not letting the experience put me off and I'll be doing a lot more research and speaking to the people here who've offered sound advice.

• Like 1

It's always the rescue dogs that pop up on forums with the same MO.

I don't care what people think of this, we all have our own opinions. Rescue centers churn out dogs daily. Half the time they tag a sad story to its neck that IT was rescued from a traveller camp or found wondering along the A1 trying to hitch hike. They will feed you with so many RSPCA story's to reel you in and rescue that gooey eyed Lurcher. Then the money part, oh yes the contract, the charity bit, when you pass more money than what they are asking because you've saved that dogs arse from the asylum! This is were they make their money and lots of it too!

They wave you goodbye, mission accomplished, one less dog in the asylum and £150 in the pot.

Can you sense I have no faith in rescue homes...

You'll have a stressful time trying to settle that dog in, he's broken you already, and with your current frame of mind you can't possibly train him. He will sense all your anger and stress. What's a cheap plant pot? It's replaceable isn't it? A hole can be covered, if these very minor things upset you then any dog isn't for you.

I agree with the majority of what you've said. We certainly had the ad story with him and yes they had their £150:00 which we didn't get back. The garden I can see your opinion but it's also where my granddaughter plays and I had moved the important stuff out the front. I can see how you might think I'm being petty but when every waking momentnofnthe day was spent chasing around after him after walking him then yes it did get too much. I'm not giving excuses or sob stories we tried and it didn't work out but the dog will be rehomed with more information than we had and I will get another dog I. Time but from a pup that I can train my way and not have to undo someone else's mistakes.

On another point maybe there needs to be different system for rehoming working dogs than pets because there is a whole new set of issues that come into play. That way people like me wouldn't take on a dog we have no experience with and the Rehoming centre would know exactly the things thyme need from the perspective owners other than just a roof over its head and money in their pot.

There have been some really interesting responses to this post and others that I've just laughed at because I kind of expected it. I guess I was expecting a bit of ragging over the time frame and that's par for the course of asking questions in an open forum. I'm sure we've all done things we've messed up on. I just had the balls to admit my mistakes and ask for advice for more experienced people. To the odd few who've tried to have a pop, so be there's keyboard warriors everywhere and I'm glad you've been fortunate enough to have had a lifetime of success. I'm not letting the experience put me off and I'll be doing a lot more research and speaking to the people here who've offered sound advice.

A life time of success bested by a dog in 2 days haha. Serious question without having a dig what kinds of walks were you going that you could manage 6 a day ?

I was speaking about the people who clearly have never had a problem or think they are super owners. I was taking around our local park where he could run himself out with our other dog as well as out by himself to build the bond. So yes he was getting plenty of exercise but it was a valid question.

Mate, if I was you I wouldn't take a blind bit of notice......I have had plenty of shit dogs, I have over matched and under conditioned, I have had them in great order and absolute rag order and I never ever had one that you could describe as great.......and most of the folk slagging you hadn't either I'm willing to bet.

There very few lads giving their dogs as much as they can take or enough to make them break.......every c**ts an expert.......I used to be one too......until I realised that I'm not.

You could probably look at almost anyone who owns lurchers and pull them to pieces one way or another.......every c**t in the world is making a mistake somewhere.

Bottom line is, you had to feed it and keep it so its your choice what happens and if it ain't for you then it ain't for you.

From my limited experience most folk would do well to have a look at if they are testing their own dog to breaking point instead of worrying about your Barbara Woodhouse skills ;)

• Like 2

Wilf no offence matey but why would you over match a unconditioned dog or have one in rag order or then give them enough to break them but your right you could pick fault with any mutt and I'm sure everyone has a mutt that hasn't worked out whether that be running of there own agenda to jacking but its down to you to know when enough is enough I think the dog Justin had was saluki saturated not a cross I would say would suit a inexperienced owner but fair play to him he has said he will do his homework next time

• Like 1

Wilf no offence matey but why would you over match a unconditioned dog or have one in rag order or then give them enough to break them but your right you could pick fault with any mutt and I'm sure everyone has a mutt that hasn't worked out whether that be running of there own agenda to jacking but its down to you to know when enough is enough I think the dog Justin had was saluki saturated not a cross I would say would suit a inexperienced owner but fair play to him he has said he will do his homework next time

All I am saying is, every single person has made mistakes.....I have, you have, everybody has and there's a few posts ripping this dude like those people have always done it perfect.

The bloke got it and it wasn't for him, it may have been a nut job......I have had dogs that are a nut job.....drove me f***ing mad and it went.

Nobody knows because they were not there so who's to say the dude was wrong ?........it was obviously in the pound for a reason.

The blokes getting called a jacket and f**k knows what else......who the f**k are these people.........I used to be one of them but hopefully I have grown up a little bit and know better now.

And TB is right, I dont run dogs any longer.

• Like 5

I think you may have under estimated taking a dog in.it will chew,bark,shit and generally try your patience.i won't let a new pup have the run of the garden to start with,ill kennel it first off until. We Bond and its grown into the new environment a bit.m maybe a pet lurchers not good for you.i find wearing the little buggers out helps with calming them down.a large bone to keep em busy,a quiet radio in kennel.

All I am saying is, every single person has made mistakes.....I have, you have, everybody has and there's a few posts ripping this dude like those people have always done it perfect.

The bloke got it and it wasn't for him, it may have been a nut job......I have had dogs that are a nut job.....drove me f***ing mad and it went.

Nobody knows because they were not there so who's to say the dude was wrong ?........it was obviously in the pound for a reason.

The blokes getting called a jacket and f**k knows what else......who the f**k are these people.........I used to be one of them but hopefully I have grown up a little bit and know better now.

And TB is right, I dont run dogs any longer.

listen the blokes a fool why take it back to the pound when someone could of had it off him with a bit of experience no need to take it back to pound waste of a dog in my eyes just cause he hadnt a clue now the dog might get pts surely it would of been better to rehome it someone on here

The guys main mistake was not asking for more advice on here before giving up on the dog.

We all make mistakes, but the guy did what he could and had the balls to admit f***ing up. Big deal.

Theres a lot worse folk KEEP dogs !

• Like 3