Which Is Better

Another plus for shotguns are that you can use historical guns in the field, here's one of my old shotguns a late 1800,s Birmingham built hammer gun. ......

FFDEBE44-99DE-4756-9C2F-C79FE4EA16EC_zps

And here is the old thing in action (black powder proof only)

http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/tomburras/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-05/C2820242-19EE-4C33-BFBD-9D4F772664D9_zpslhtkwlln.mp4.html

The sound, smell and smoke all add to the fun. Can be tricky getting a second shot in tho when your surrounded by smoke lol.

I can't think of any properly old airguns that can be used like their modern counterparts - can't beat a bit of nostalgia!

Years ago there was a guy on our shoot who used Baikal cartridges.Every time he got a left and a right the fire brigade used to turn up looking for the field that was on fire :laugh:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Which is better Air gun or shotgun for pigeons Only saying like

I'm sure our expert, and resident pigeon basher Mark will be along in a minute to help you out, it's all down to how you hide.

Yes, when they are on the new buds it is the same. If you can find a tree that is ahead of the rest so they concentrate on that you can have some good sport. Same in winter if there is a snow fall. Fi

Posted Images

Ha ha! Baikal records where they called? Had a box given years ago and Christ they where loud and the pattern was doghnut shaped - Once I cut one open the shot was all different sizes! And some where even water droplet and grain of rice shaped!

I think they were Records. The factory was staffed by slaves, many taken during WWII so it wouldn't have been a dynamic forward thinking outfit. they would nick someone else's designs and make them worse. The shot was probably the sweepings up from the factory floor.

When we (me and viz) got the 3500 acres we were ask,d to take care of the feral,s in the barns and in less than an hour we had shot 150+ feral pigeons (well viz got most of them lol)

try and do that with a shot gun (in barns )

Every rifle whether its a air rifle or shot gun or bullet rifle has its pluses and its negatives

even in the woods a air rifle for those spindly branches as you can feed the pellet through the gaps

a shot gun would blow them apart lol...Mark is right on that one

AND AT THE END OF THE DAY ITS NOT THE RIFLE WHAT EVER IT MAY BE

ITS THE SHOOTER BEHIND THE RIFLE

THAT MAKES IT WHAT IT IS

ATVBMAC :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 2

Nice looking gun there Tom :thumbs:

I had something like that years ago in my early 20`s.

Soon changed my mind though when I cocked the hammers whilst it was raining, thumb slipped and bang !

I part chopped it for something a lot newer.

I did enjoy though.

atb

• Like 1

When we (me and viz) got the 3500 acres we were ask,d to take care of the feral,s in the barns and in less than an hour we had shot 150+ feral pigeons (well viz got most of them lol)

Every rifle whether its a air rifle or shot gun or bullet rifle has its pluses and its negatives

even in the woods a air rifle for those spindly branches as you can feed the pellet through the gaps

THAT MAKES IT WHAT IT IS

Exactly, you wouldn't take a Ferrari off roading ha ha!
  • Like 1

Nice looking gun there Tom :thumbs:

I had something like that years ago in my early 20`s.

Soon changed my mind though when I cocked the hammers whilst it was raining, thumb slipped and bang !

I part chopped it for something a lot newer.

I did enjoy though.

atb

Cheers Mark! When wandering I normally cock them with the gun broken and close it when I'm about to fire. Black powder carts are a pound each tho and 15 for delivery even if it's just one box!
  • Like 1

My dad had an old hammer action when i was around 9yrs old he handed it to me and say,d have a shot of it and if your any good ill get you one tomorrow

Well i pulled the trigger and the shot came out

BUT

i went one way the rifle went another and i did not know what to hold first my ass or my shoulder

When my dad and my uncle picked them self off the ground with tears running down there faces

my dad say,d ill get you an air rifle thus started my air rifle shooting and the rest is history

i was 9yrs old feck how time fly's just seems like yesterday

im getting old lol

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 2

THAT MAKES IT WHAT IT IS

I had a 9mm garden gun given to me that I used for rook squabbing and also ratting on a pig farm. You could have used that in barns quite safely without causing any damage to the buildings or pigeon breasts, not that I'd ever eat a feral. And if the pigeons flew off it would have been capable of bringing them down at short range. That's why I used it on the pig farm;- you could hit rats on the move and sometimes take out 2 with one shot. I only stopped using it when it became difficult to find cartridges with number 6 shot. You could get 9's and what they called 'mouse shot' but that wasn't enough to kill ferals, squabs and rats. Some people advocated using them for squirrels in the garden, but IMO it wasn't anywhere powerful enough to guarantee a clean kill on a squizzer. Even with 6's you couldn't use it for wood pigeon roost shooting unless you could get within about15 yrds of them. But as a niche gun it was ideal to fill the gap between an air rifle and a .410.

• Like 1

THAT MAKES IT WHAT IT IS

I had a 9mm garden gun given to me that I used for rook squabbing and also ratting on a pig farm. You could have used that in barns quite safely without causing any damage to the buildings or pigeon breasts, not that I'd ever eat a feral. And if the pigeons flew off it would have been capable of bringing them down at short range. That's why I used it on the pig farm;- you could hit rats on the move and sometimes take out 2 with one shot. I only stopped using it when it became difficult to find cartridges with number 6 shot. You could get 9's and what they called 'mouse shot' but that wasn't enough to kill ferals, squabs and rats. Some people advocated using them for squirrels in the garden, but IMO it wasn't anywhere powerful enough to guarantee a clean kill on a squizzer. Even with 6's you couldn't use it for wood pigeon roost shooting unless you could get within about15 yrds of them. But as a niche gun it was ideal to fill the gap between an air rifle and a .410.

You still would not walk in with a 12 would you

iv shot the pigeons for you

BUT YOU MAY NEED TO PUT A NEW ROOF ON THE BARN LOL

• Like 1

THAT MAKES IT WHAT IT IS

You still would not walk in with a 12 would you

iv shot the pigeons for you

BUT YOU MAY NEED TO PUT A NEW ROOF ON THE BARN LOL

Have you ever used Norica Killers in .177? They are hard to find nowadays but I've still got a couple of tins. They totally flatten like a sixpence if they hit anything hard like a tin roof. They won't even penetrate a 5 litre tin can through an 11.5 ft-lb rifle. But on rats or ferals they knock them stone dead. They were really handy in barns when you had those difficult 'straight up' shots where it had to be head or nothing and the bird's heads were always bobbing about. No danger of perforating the barn roof if you missed.