Types Of Guard Dogs For Ur Yard .ie. Kennells And House.

American bulldog for me. he's like a lamb with the kids and other dogs.never put a foot wrong .brilliant guard dog.not just bark at anything and everything.none of my mates will come in the yard till i promise he's away.

I kept AB'S for 15yrs starting in the late 90s.If you get a good one they make a very good dog but unfortunately I'd go as far as saying 90% of what's being bred is pure shit with some kind of health or temperament issues.

my son in law still has star
Star is from one of the few lines that is still being worked and tested for solid temperaments and health.How is she doing.
  • Like 1

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

won't be long before they start hitting the headlines.Great dogs if you are doing security/patrol work or using them for sport knvp shutzhund french ring etc but defiantly not what I'd call a yard or

Thats my yard dog kelpie x collie he's tough as old boots and has shifted a few unsavoury caracters from my yard at night on a more than a few occasions.   Also he cracks the whip work wise because

ive nothing worth stealing but living rural ive known plenty of folks targeted by thieves for what little they do have from heating oil to a pensioners savings... ragnar is here to protect my dad and

Posted Images

Just curious as to what happens in law ,if your dog does bite an intruder on private property .All very well having a guard dog but you need to know the consequences too .

I don't think it's been tested in court yet but in theory even with the changes to the DDA you should be fine if they were on your property unlawfully. Of course never say your dog is a guard dog, it's just a pet that lives in the yard ;)

I'd think really carefully before getting a dog to guard dogs, if your dogs get out of the kennel will they try and fight the guard or vice versa? I used to keep bandogs to guard my bulldogs until one of my bulldogs got loose and decided he wanted to take on two 110lb bandogs :no: came home to one very dead dog and two banged up bandogs. I personally won't use dogs to guard dogs after that.

I wouldn't use a dog to guard anything of any real value.A dog is OK to stop an opportunist gear head who thinks they're going to rob your shed or break in and nick your tele but if someone really wants something it only takes a handful of slug pellets in a lump of meat and your guard dog is dead I under an hour.

I would agree with Downsouth, do not use a dog to guard a dog.

CCTV is more reliable and is switched on 24/7 and you don't need to feed it.

Lights that switch on with proximity sensors will deter a thief faster than a barking dog.

A stupid staff/APBT dropped over the wall will take care of any guard dog while the thief goes about his business.

A half decent staff/APBT will do the same job silently.

Poison also works very well for dog thieves (especially if you can shove it down the b*****ds throat)as they'll just chuck some to your guard dog . Not letting those who steal dogs know you have dogs combined with modern security is probably the best form of defense.

• Like 2

Poison also works very well for dog thieves (especially if you can shove it down the b*****ds throat)as they'll just chuck some to your guard dog . Not letting those who steal dogs know you have dogs combined with modern security is probably the best form of defense.

spot on neil, if the scum want to get in they will dog or no dog, ive always said the best are vocal guards, collies, gsd,ds, bel/mal , i like the sound of a acdx gsd or colliexgsd dogs that will bark and bite . a bloke by me just bought a boerboel bitch pup, nice dog bit like bullmastiffs in appearance , but more healthy it cost him £ 12000 quid, ok if you got hole in your back pocket lol, get a good gsd x collie from of a farm or the pound, for £50-100 quid do the same job :yes:

• Like 2

some of the collies round here are right b##st'rds wouldn't go near them, mate had a Kerry blue was a good guard, I had a begium x german shepherd, great dog even my mates wouldn't go near him but even with walks every day and games/ training he would go a bit mad. pacing etc so I gave him to a couple who spend allot of time with him, made a great dog for them, he needed lots of stimulus. I have a beddiex greyhound, barks when strangers around as good as any.

• Like 1

spot on neil, if the scum want to get in they will dog or no dog, ive always said the best are vocal guards, collies, gsd,ds, bel/mal , i like the sound of a acdx gsd or colliexgsd dogs that will bark and bite . a bloke by me just bought a boerboel bitch pup, nice dog bit like bullmastiffs in appearance , but more healthy it cost him £ 12000 quid, ok if you got hole in your back pocket lol, get a good gsd x collie from of a farm or the pound, for £50-100 quid do the same job :yes:

Yes, when the scumbags are casing your yard and a dog gets noisy it does deter some such as burglars. But those who know dogs will poison guard dogs, unless it's the guard dogs they want to steal.

But, if a guard dog is to do his job by appearance alone then I couldn't think of a better dog than the Boerboel. LOL.

A friend has some and I'll admit that I'm not happy around them, LOL.

• Like 1

Some of the guard dog as a rotte would even attracted the scum;some of them; others just will lift a dog; in your yard or out hunting; walking if you may lose it for a bit or more. But remember the scum who will say what you have and where you live;etc.so be on your guard ;

Had Rottweilers , Neo Mastiffs , Am Bulldogs,,,, best Iv had are Dutch shepherds Princess,,, one I have now ,,is really good at her job,, attachicon.gifdutch_shepherd_princess..5__1468237516_27113.jpg

attachicon.gifdutch_shepherd_princess..10__1468237610_41891.jpg

and her son Prince....

attachicon.gif146823781024946.jpeg

i would have to agree with you my own shepard is on point and sharp as hell.i was woken up during the night approx 7 mts ago 4 am.dog going off on one checked my own yard and back all ok.heard voices down the road about 100yards coming and going.only for my neighbour to cal the following day to say their oil tank had been drained empty and they have cameras installed.i dont care how expericened you are with dogs if they know ur dog is a man fighter they will not enter we all have an in built fear of facing a dog that is serious about his work in the cover of darkness.thats a nice shepard bitch carlovian by the way.