Types Of Guard Dogs For Ur Yard .ie. Kennells And House.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

won't be long before they start hitting the headlines.Great dogs if you are doing security/patrol work or using them for sport knvp shutzhund french ring etc but defiantly not what I'd call a yard or

Thats my yard dog kelpie x collie he's tough as old boots and has shifted a few unsavoury caracters from my yard at night on a more than a few occasions.   Also he cracks the whip work wise because

ive nothing worth stealing but living rural ive known plenty of folks targeted by thieves for what little they do have from heating oil to a pensioners savings... ragnar is here to protect my dad and

Posted Images

10 hours ago, TerrierKie said:

I have the 2 mate 1st I had was bred over here in UK she’s athletic as hell n makes her self heard 

this 1 in the pics was from Romania 5 this year never let me down knows her job well and as strong as they come 

presa’s seem to be becoming the overbred Mastiff these days I think every1 at it without breeding for specific traits more for looks and money 

Each to there own but I think these are over kill for a house guard dog, all you need is something that barks,I wouldn’t keep anything that  I couldn’t pull off a dog or person and looking at them they look determined & very strong plus there’s 2 of them.a pit bull terrier once attracted one of my dogs pinning it to the floor, it had to be hit very hard over the head to make it let go, it ruined my dog made it very nervous,I’ve a long time friend now with a pit bull,I’ve helped him train it regards heal work & general obedience and it’s a bright dog but I wouldn’t trust it as far as I could throw it,the potential this dog has to do some serious damage would be too much of a risk for me.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Str said:

Each to there own but I think these are over kill for a house guard dog, all you need is something that barks,I wouldn’t keep anything that  I couldn’t pull off a dog or person and looking at them they look determined & very strong plus there’s 2 of them.a pit bull terrier once attracted one of my dogs pinning it to the floor, it had to be hit very hard over the head to make it let go, it ruined my dog made it very nervous,I’ve a long time friend now with a pit bull,I’ve helped him train it regards heal work & general obedience and it’s a bright dog but I wouldn’t trust it as far as I could throw it,the potential this dog has to do some serious damage would be too much of a risk for me.

Yeah I get what your saying mate they are very big and strong and can cause serious damage I’ve found them to be great dogs tho 

I have put some good work in on command and recall happy with the training 

17 minutes ago, TerrierKie said:

Yeah I get what your saying mate they are very big and strong and can cause serious damage I’ve found them to be great dogs tho 

I have put some good work in on command and recall happy with the training 

That’s good hear that your putting time in training the dogs.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Str said:

you  on about  apbt  or pressa  , pits norm are to people friendly  to be a guard dog  , if there around other guard  breeds they will copy them,  gsd, collie, breeds that will bark, pressa great guard dog  its natural  in them, but from what ive heard the temps are not good and not trustworthy  . with bitches in most breeds you get more stable temp, males norm give the probs .    a collie or gsd would be enough to guard your place, more so if you had say a well bred pit  as back up, thats what i have as i like  pits anyway .

Just now, bird said:

you  on about  apbt  or pressa  , pits norm are to people friendly  to be a guard dog  , if there around other guard  breeds they will copy them,  gsd, collie, breeds that will bark, pressa great guard dog  its natural  in them, but from what ive heard the temps are not good and not trustworthy  . with bitches in most breeds you get more stable temp, males norm give the probs .    a collie or gsd would be enough to guard your place, more so if you had say a well bred pit  as back up, thats what i have as i like  pits anyway .

TBH I couldn't think of anything worse than a collie stuck in a back yard or garden barking it's head off and not getting the stimulation it needs,I know on farms their great an even one farm I wouldn't get out the car till the farmers wife shouted at 3 long legged collies that had me surrounded ?

14 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

TBH I couldn't think of anything worse than a collie stuck in a back yard or garden barking it's head off and not getting the stimulation it needs,I know on farms their great an even one farm I wouldn't get out the car till the farmers wife shouted at 3 long legged collies that had me surrounded ?

Agree with you fdr.  There are a couple of farms we have permission with, and I can assure anyone, they'd not get out of their car when  some of their collies are loose in the yard

• Like 1

An elderly woman not far from me was killed last year by two bull mastiffs.

Her son owned these dogs and they knew this woman well. She called to the house to visit, no one was home and they attacked her.

Her grandkids found her with the dogs still with the body. A neighbor had to be called to shoot them so paramedics could enter the yard.

Its all right getting these big dogs if you know what your doing with them and can handle the properly. If not leave them alone.

That family will never be the same again. They have since left the area. And the rest of the family is taking criminal action against the owner.

Atb j

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, bird said:

My mates APBT,it’s as big as my lab but looks like it’s on steroids,it’s light brown ginger colour with pale eyes,it’s impressive to look at but if that kicked off you would need an axe to stop it,I know there are some people that are really on top of these dogs and by all accounts when brought up correctly they make great dogs BUT I see too many with young lads as a status symbol,if same lads had collies as status symbols and encouraged them to bite people then they would but there’s a big difference in a collie nipping your arse and a pit bull hung off your wedding tackle!,for me they are pointless if someone is creeping about your property then a poodle could let you know so you can call the police or leather them.

• Like 2

Yeah big fan of the watch dogs those Lhasa apso were bred for sitting up high an then yapping to let the mastiffs or monks know someone is around,

my stepsons Russell doesn't bark but my labradoodle does always let's me know and inside or behind the solid wood gate it's barks loud for size of her,lot of people been shocked when they see her ?

• Like 1

Pitbulls make really shit guard dogs. Yea they bark if someone knocked on or come to the gate or hear someone in back yard but any dog will do that.truth mater is if someone looks through your window and sees it barking  there not going take the chance on if it does bite or not. Be it pit bull lab or collie difference is a good guard dog noes when to protect its property and owners. Mine barks at noises and when cars pull up and I recon it probably would protect the baby due to the bond they have but I wouldnt say  it was a gaudy dog . Plenty of better purpose bred gauging dogs out  there..

i had a presa x pit once he would guard to a degree