Shortage of rabbits........?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Im in the West midlands and summer quite a bit of myxie around, but that is all over and done with now and the rabbit population is stable, still only around 1/5th of what it was in the summer but that is to be expected every year. The healthy rabbits are starting to breed again and i am seeing young rabbits and quite a few are deciding to squat at first instead of run, like it was in summer they are tough lil beasts but after summer you need to look on ideal weather nights to really get a feel for the population i can go out on a still night and not see a single rabbit where there are scores of them on a dark and windy night.

Guest little_lloyd

After the autum mxyi setteels in the rabbits dont really recover untill march time,, We have very very few rabbits around at the moment,, But come march you start seing them alot more often.

After the autum mxyi setteels in the rabbits dont really recover untill march time,, We have very very few rabbits around at the moment,, But come march you start seing them alot more often.

Not sure about that, at the tail end of summer here we were over run with mixy, I thought my season was out the window, but they seemed to have regenerated and we havent had a mixy in the last 35 odd rabbits.

I hope it stays clear next summer, just horible seeing rabbits suffering slowly. Discusting disese :thumbdown:

Guest little_lloyd

Not sure about that, at the tail end of summer here we were over run with mixy, I thought my season was out the window, but they seemed to have regenerated and we havent had a mixy in the last 35 odd rabbits.

I hope it stays clear next summer, just horible seeing rabbits suffering slowly. Discusting disese :thumbdown:

Before the mxyi arives in the late summer/ autum time the rabbits are alive in numbers,, then few weeks after you notice theres not many around,, Up untill now your lucky to see three,, Even when you shine around at night you only see very few,, three or four,, come spring and summer they are everywhere and thats when i get most of my ferreting/ trapping/ snaring done on the shoot beacuse this time of year it would be pointless to trap up every warren to get one or ney rabbits.

I wish they where around like the numbers they are in summer this time of year beacuse i would rather ferret my own ground than the ferreting permission i have,, alough there is alive all year round.

• 2 weeks later...

shot about 150 in the last few months in north of scotland and there very little sing of mixxie here

the problem with mixxie is the way poeple dispatch there mixxie carcases they should be burnt if possible where they r found to stop the spread

i went on a rough shoot in my area that normaly averages about 10 hare and we only seen 1 hair all day

Edited by shottyscotty
burnley is dead for rabbits at moment bin out 4 times in 2 week got 1 bunny!

As an update to the thread............rabbit numbers are slowly recovering around here.

Rolfe. :toast:

Thats nice Rolfee can i have some please

Has everyone noticed the shortage of rabbits this season due to the massive outbreak of mxyamatosis.

Our area has been decimated, the worst for many years around here.

I was wondering if other areas (apart from here in the Midlands) had also been badly hit?

Rolfe

hello mate i work the south downs whith my lurchers and my ferrets and for the past three seasons mxymatosis has hit us hard. from hundreds to just a few :wallbash: