Shortage of rabbits........?

My lads got some permission around 20 miles from where we live,the landowners tried picking up a few myxies and dropping them[i obviously dont agree with this]and they havent been touched,they seem "immune" to myxi.

So when we got permission and ferreted a good few we had an "accident" on the way home,some rabbits escaped alive in our area,things looked pretty good for a while with plenty of young rabbits bobbing about in the area,and then myxi [or something]broke out again and flattned them.

When we next saw the landowner and told him [he's no mug from travelling stock]he says the rabbits on his land have never had a touch of myxi while hes been there,and cant beleive the ones we took have died?

Maybe its a different strain of the disease thats developed?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe its not myxy it could be VHD viral hemoraghic disease,but Im from syorks and never seen it round here but you never know i suppose? I hope not its worse than bloody myxy,my old lurcher got one or two with it down in cheshire a few years ago,and it was like handling a living skeleton, horrible :sick:

CHARLIE CALLER

Maybe its not myxy it could be VHD viral hemoraghic disease,but Im from syorks and never seen it round here but you never know i suppose? I hope not its worse than bloody myxy,my old lurcher got one or two with it down in cheshire a few years ago,and it was like handling a living skeleton, horrible :sick:

CHARLIE CALLER

Im from Rotherham mate,we dont get VHD here to my knowledge,ive seen it in N.Yorks when a relative keepered up there,nasty disease.

Unless you have a lot of rabbits [not much chance near me]it doesnt seem to spread through them,i think its transferred through their piss and then the other rabbits eat the contaminated grass[been told that anyway]

I think either somebody has re-released myxi or its naturally mutated as flu/cold viruses do,but im no scientist,whatevers happening its decimated a lot of places for around the last 3 yrs,i cant explain the funny coloured rabbits appearing at different places at the same time,unless man's had a hand in it,the two areas are fairly well apart,seems to much of a coincidence.

The nature reserve was crawling with rabbits at one time,maybe the people who run it have had a hand in it? Course they wouldnt let you ferret/lamp,that would be cruel.