Shortage of rabbits........?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has everyone noticed the shortage of rabbits this season due to the massive outbreak of mxyamatosis.

Our area has been decimated, the worst for many years around here.

I was wondering if other areas (apart from here in the Midlands) had also been badly hit?

Rolfe

Although many areas I look after are quite low on numbers due to myxy. I do still have areas where myxy has had little or no effect on the population. Even though the rabbits are living together in huge numbers, the desease just dosent do what it used to. And Ill only find odd ones effected and then, usually not that badly.

Notably though, all of the areas in which the rabbits seem relatively immune, they exist in huge numbers.

no problem with numbers here (shetland islands) out last nite for a 1 hour 15 mins got 25 rabbits so not too bad, had better nights though, no myxi here , not had it for awhile but when it happens nearly everything is wiped out because the islands are not big !!!

Seeing a few signs of mxy around, not bad though...still plenty of rabbits in certain areas, but lots are quite lamp shy.... was out today and bolted a few youngsters...theres no stopping them.. :)

Flippin ek Ian that is early, I can't recall ever seeing young in January before around my patch!

Might be wet, but in principle its mild and food is about...so recipe for early breeding AND Mixxy...Hey Ho, another year dawns!

Interesing though, as I picked up my first new bit of land for 2008 yesterday, and walking it with the owner it was full of "tame" bunnies and they were very frisky, no sign of mixxy. She wants them dealt with but has also lost 18 of her 20 chickens in the last 10 days so looks like fun at this place (got to leave the deer alone though)!

Cheers

Deker

Also like to add, im from up Northumberland. And we've been getting younguns since mid Jan aswell. Nothing unusual in that these days though!!

Im in the south of ireland and rabbits are scarce around here i've heard of greyhound men paying 20 euro for 1 live rabbit. A friend of mine asked me latetley to shoot some rabbits at an estate that is going to be turned into a golf course so i said i would go for a nite and see was there any there to my shock the place was crawling with them i've 53 shot up to last nite and i'm heading there again tommorow nite. I got a friend of mine with ferrets to catch a few and we released 14 into a neighbours farm no boubt he will be delighted :D

along the areas i hunt rabbs are thick had seventy in the last week had maybe a thousand of 12oo acre farm and a few hares, mixi came and went still getting ten to twenty rabbs every 4 hour hunt and if you done an all dayer 30 to 40 but welll never killl the goose that lays the eggs , going to give rabbs a break as ive hammerd them for the past two weeks , ferrets dogs nets and snares , i could catch most nites weather permiting , and well with ferrets dogs never drew ablank all the best

• 5 months later...