Shortage of rabbits........?

:wallbash: Well this mixy has hit us falconers, trapper's and ferret's hard this year and that figure of around 40m bunny's in this country had dropet alot in number's, ie hampshire as i was talking to the snareman at pesttec and he has not seen the number of bunny's and that is the some down on the south coast and if we did it had mixy but then longdog13 and he is up around the medway, kent area and has not had 1 problem.

So finger's crossed all you hunter's that have had a big problem this year to a great hunt and return of are missing bunny's next year.

And just a Quike one they are now showing sing's that some are starting to build up a amume to mixy, so let's hope that is the case :boogie:

Well Take Care All

&

Safe Hunting :gunsmilie:

Mixxy is horrible and I have no time for it whatsoever, but immunity is something for the scientists!

As for hoping they will all return next year :hmm::hmm: lets get it straight...anyone at Pest Ex..Do I assume that is what you meant, wants rabbit removed or at best controlled!!

If you are a "sportsman" and want some "fun" then you obviously want some quarry, I am a Game and Vermin controller, as are most at Pest Ex and I am paid to get rid of them!!

We come at this from completely different angles, too many forget this!! :thumbs:

Well i am in that line of work aswell mate and i love boing bunny work as a paying job but this mixy is so bad that i have no bunny work but i have lot's of rat's, mice, fox's and now deer to get on with so that fine with me i can make my money that way.

But i do have land that i just use as my sport land just like you and all the other pestex boys and girls for that time where you have no bunny work and your ferret are locket up for weeks and till you get that call, but it's not fer on them and not fer on the people that do hunt just for fun.

But it would be nice to abit of a come back next year:drink:

And sorry if i have upset you :thumbs:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shockingly rubbish ammount of rabbits, im considering starting to cage some, and then breed, and release, but thats up to the land owner, i heard if you cross feral with tame, the kits will get immune to myxi, so i might give it a go, it wont take much to trap a wild doe, or a male

Cheers

Trevor

Shockingly rubbish ammount of rabbits, im considering starting to cage some, and then breed, and release, but thats up to the land owner, i heard if you cross feral with tame, the kits will get immune to myxi, so i might give it a go, it wont take much to trap a wild doe, or a male

Cheers

Trevor

Trevor i think thats a daft idea but good luck in persuading the land owner. Vets arround here are giving pet bunnys jabs against mixy so i think tame bunnys can cantract it to !

On the land i hunt there is a very large number of rabbits but they don't all get myxsy at the same time mebe the distance between the rabbit sets helps or it could be that when we rough shoot the gullys between the sets we take out a lot of imature bucks who are sitting out of the sets waiting to get lucky with a doe or two this could stop some of the rabbits transfering the flees from one colony to another just a thought.To try and conrol the rabbits we ferret shoot and lamp them but it dos'nt seem to knock them back arround the place.The only time we realy noticed that we lowerd the numbers was when we used to gas the sets with cymag pellets long time ago.Some will say we have a rabbit problem but others will think we are lucky but i suppose as long as we keep the farmer happy by being seen to be doing something then long may it last .We take about 450 rabbits a year on average probably a lot more as when we lamp them we don't allways collect them in and if the weather is to warm and they get fly blown very quickly .we also leave a few bodys for the buzards to keep them off the poults.long winded a know but stuck in and bored.atb.

Has everyone noticed the shortage of rabbits this season due to the massive outbreak of mxyamatosis.

Our area has been decimated, the worst for many years around here.

I was wondering if other areas (apart from here in the Midlands) had also been badly hit?

Rolfe

we have the same problem in the durham dales and teesdale, i used to be able to lamp as many rabbits as me dog was fit enough to catch but now i only average 20-30 but i got to work a lot harder for them and lamp 3 times more ground. i hope it picks up next season. ATB

Edited by Fieldsporthunter
  • 3 weeks later...

Cheers

Trevor

It's harder to cage trap rabbits then what you may think, especially if you have a shortage of them! On a local estate, a line of 100 cages we normally get one or two rabbits a day, and they're baited with carrots. Isn't trapping and releasing pests illegal? Correct me if I am worng. As the landlord has a legal obligation to control the rabbits, so releasing them would be breaking this legal obligation,

Cheers

Trevor

It's harder to cage trap rabbits then what you may think, especially if you have a shortage of them! On a local estate, a line of 100 cages we normally get one or two rabbits a day, and they're baited with carrots. Isn't trapping and releasing pests illegal? Correct me if I am worng. As the landlord has a legal obligation to control the rabbits, so releasing them would be breaking this legal obligation,

This was under the 1948 Act if my memory serves me right (NO... I wasn't about then), this has either recently been repealed or there is talk of it being repealed, perhaps someone can confirm the current position!!

Mixi has all but wiped out the Rabbit population here in the North Wales/Cheshire border area,never known it so bad,is there some national group/society/board/association to give an overall picture of the outbreak?

I'm aware of how it's spread but why/how was this outbreak so bad?

Netfull.

Has everyone noticed the shortage of rabbits this season due to the massive outbreak of mxyamatosis.

Our area has been decimated, the worst for many years around here.

I was wondering if other areas (apart from here in the Midlands) had also been badly hit?

Rolfe

I was saying to one of my mates when we were out shooting the other day that there were no rabbits to be seen, Inverclyde/Strathclyde area, Scotland.

• 2 weeks later...

Theres something fishy going on imo,around 4 seasons ago we noticed strange coloured rabbits appearing,sort of sandy yellow colour,they appeared on the local golf course and a few miles away on an ex industrial site thats now been turned into a nature reserve,since then the rabbits have been decimated by myxi in these areas and generally all around us.

Ive been hunting this area for around 35 yrs and this was the first time ive seen these strange coloured rabbits,the 2 sites are completely seperate yet these rabbits appeared at the same time?

I dont know the explanation for this but its really strange imo,neither area is arable land and the rabbits never get to problem levels anyway.

The pup caught one last week,its eyes were clear and it appeared very alert,but its back legs had swelled callouses all the way down them,ive seen plenty of rabbits with myxi/VHD and this didnt look like either to me?

What ever the reason weve had very few rabbits for 3 seasons here.

Edited by steveS.Yorks

Cheers

Trevor

Only just read this properly...

......"I heard if you leave your tooth under the pillow the fairy gives you money"!! :whistling::whistling::whistling::thumbs:

:icon_redface::icon_redface::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

ATB!! :thumbs:

PS..keep it to yourself, Vets have been making a fortune for years treating "Domestic" rabbits against Mixxy.....and I've made a few quid from the tooth fairy as well!! :thumbs: